Woody Decoys

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Woody Decoys

Postby DuckDude219 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Yes I am New to the forum !!!! but my wifes' uncle has a cabin on Kankakee river and he's got tons of Wood Ducks out there, so the question is "who makes the most realistic woody decoys" And is it frowned upon to put mallards decoys out with them?

Call me a rookie, but everyone has to start somewhere. :mrgreen:
DuckDude219

Re: Woody Decoys

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 pm

First off Welcome to WFF.

Secondly if you're just getting started some cheaper wood Duck decoys would be fine so you can spend money on other things.

Flambeau Storm fronts are nice looking woodie decoys.

And mallard decoys will work for almost any puddle Duck, I've killed woodies over mallards many times. If you already have a good mallard spread you should be fine with those.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Welcome!!

In my experience, teal or mallard decoys work just as well (if not better) than wood duck decoys.

To me the critical part of a successful woodie shoot it to be EXACTLY where they want to be.
They really don't respond to calling or decoys that well.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Yup. Go out in the morning and just watch. See where they are going or tend to want to be. Then go hunt there the next morning. Better than any decoy or call you an buy. Just ask Duck Hammer. :-)
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Woody Decoys

Postby triplecurl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, being exactly where they want to be is the most important thing on a woodie hunt. Sometimes I like to think that my success on a wood duck hunt is due to my decoys and their setup, but it's really ALL about being on the X.
Last edited by triplecurl on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplecurl

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Yup. Go out in the morning and just watch. See where they are going or tend to want to be. Then go hunt there the next morning. Better than any decoy or call you an buy. Just ask Duck Hammer. :-)

Truth, woodies really don't give a crap about decoys, or calls, in my experience. Saw some a few years ago that would land in the same exact spot every time I went no matter what I did. Unfortunately that spot was accessible to me. :(
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Yep, you have to figure out the spot the woodys like, but once you find out what the woodys like they will be hard to keep away from you.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm

If you want realistic tho, I thoroughly believe you cannot get better than ghg pro grade wood duck decoys. Not the cheapest, not horribly expensive, but amazing looking.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Welcome!!

In my experience, teal or mallard decoys work just as well (if not better) than wood duck decoys.

To me the critical part of a successful woodie shoot it to be EXACTLY where they want to be.
They really don't respond to calling or decoys that well.

Also check out the greenhorn forum for any "green" questions. Only helpful answers in there.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Goldfish wrote:If you want realistic tho, I thoroughly believe you cannot get better than ghg pro grade wood duck decoys. Not the cheapest, not horribly expensive, but amazing looking.

I agree with this. If using mallard and wood duck decoys together, set the woodies about 25 yards away from the mallards, near a woody spot, like a fallen tree. I've seen wood ducks buzz the woody decoys, while avoiding the mallards.

What part of the Kankakee are you near? And :welcome:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby capt1972 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 pm

no input, just :welcome:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 am

Higdon woody decoys, get the foam filled. Put em on jerk string. The combo of ripples on the water and a woody call done right is almost as deadly as corn.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby DuckDude219 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for every ones input!!! Im out of Highland, Indiana and the cabin is about three miles east of RT 41. I have about a dozen and a half of the storm front mallards and a two butt up mallards, I just didn't know if woodies wood decoy to them, I did read that they don't really like to socialize with the mallards, but i also read that to fill a spread you could use them.

again Thanks everyone!!
DuckDude219

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:35 am

Hunting where the birds want to be, anyway, is the surest way to make a good hunt for any species, but if you don't get your birds and get out quickly, you can shoot yourself in the foot by changing where they want to be and have to find a new "X". If access or other concerns preclude doing so, you may be a heck of a lot better off hunting birds trafficking between places they want to be.

When I hunted rivers, I shot a lot of woodies at the mouths tributaries they presumably used more than the bigger stream. Many just gave us a look on their way elsewhere, but it wasn't uncommon for them to pitch right in with my mallard and teal decoys. In fact, it was one such that taught me what I've found the most useful call for them. It swam from decoy to decoy whistling a long, drawn out "Sweeeeet," as if lonely and trying to find a friend. So that's how I started calling them on a (the Cali boys will love this) Wingsetter whistle. Later, I switched to a Duck Commander wood duck call that was more accurate, but it's more the cadence of the call than the tone that seems to matter, and these days I just "sweeeeeet" through a specklebelly call I'm carrying, anyway, with good result. I'm guessing most folks fall short when trying to sway woodies with a call by replicating their wavering "sweet, sweet, sweet" flight call, instead of something they do on the water.

As for decoys, I've never owned a wood duck decoy and have mostly hated those I've found myself hunting over. Their high profile and big heads makes them prone to pitch, roll and slalom in high winds, so if you buy some, I'd strongly recommend paying whatever extra for weighted keels or converting water keels to weighted keels yourself. Otherwise, they'll be counterproductive when it's windy. Might be, anyway.
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 am

DuckDude219 wrote:Thanks for every ones input!!! Im out of Highland, Indiana and the cabin is about three miles east of RT 41. I have about a dozen and a half of the storm front mallards and a two butt up mallards, I just didn't know if woodies wood decoy to them, I did read that they don't really like to socialize with the mallards, but i also read that to fill a spread you could use them.

again Thanks everyone!!

Just over the border from me. Watch for IndianaMallard to come around. He's in your area when not in school.

And again, :welcome:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Woody » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:25 am

Welcome!

These are what I prefer to decoy to...

image.jpg

Kidding aside...
Where I am at for the first month of the season there isn't much other than woodies. We kill quite a few over mallard decoys, for the first two maybe three weeks we can almost count on a limit of woodies, but I wouldn't say that they necisarily come to the decoys. More that we are where they want to be. The decoys are for them to key in on and pick that particular part of the swamp or flooded timber. The key really truly is to be where they want to be, woodies get up in the morning and fly to a certain spot and is hard to convince them to deviate from that, IMO.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Set em up like FF said.
They'll light in your dekes at just before LST.
I'm in Illinois and will use just a couple or three wood duck decoys and they'll land right on them. Getting them to stick around til LST is your problem. Good luck.

Welcome.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Goldfish wrote:If you want realistic tho, I thoroughly believe you cannot get better than ghg pro grade wood duck decoys. Not the cheapest, not horribly expensive, but amazing looking.

I should maybe mention, in the wind these decoys aren't the greatest. The swivel head decoys like to "sleep" on their side, and in chop they kinda slap the waves, but if you keep them out of the waves and in the vegetation they are great
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum