Swimming Decoys

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Swimming Decoys

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 pm

I was recently Challenged on the use of the G&H Navigator Swimming Decoy in California before December 1st.
I tried to explain that the prohibition was only on spinning wing Decoys but the gentleman insisted it was any and all battery operated Decoy.
Since the Regulations are hard to read I requested a email response to the question from DFG that I could post on the net for clarity on the subject
Below is a copy of the email I received.

To Joe Hendrex
G&H ProStaff California
Dear Mr. Hendrex,
Your question is a good one and I am sorry for the confusion surrounding the use of battery operated decoys! The information you have received is correct… It is legal to use a battery operated swimming decoy. The prohibition is ONLY for spinning wings or spinning wing simulated devices. All other battery operated decoys which cause swimming, dabbling, and other non-spinning wing movement are not prohibited and may be used all season along.

Thank you for asking for the clarification.

Michael P. Carion
CA Dept of Fish and Wildlife
Chief, Law Enforcement Division
1416 Ninth St., Room 1342-B
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916)654-3812
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Re: Swimming Decoys

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 am

In Minnesota the designation is motorized decoys, not just spinning wing decoys so you guys might be a rarity in they specifically state spinning wing decoys in the regs
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Goldfish wrote:In Minnesota the designation is motorized decoys, not just spinning wing decoys so you guys might be a rarity in they specifically state spinning wing decoys in the regs

a quiver magnet aint a motor.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 pm

capt1972 wrote:
Goldfish wrote:In Minnesota the designation is motorized decoys, not just spinning wing decoys so you guys might be a rarity in they specifically state spinning wing decoys in the regs

a quiver magnet aint a motor.

How do you think it moves? Magic?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 am

There's a little mouse in there running around and around real, real fast. Technically it's live decoy, but the dumb-assed wardens think it's magic.
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 am

A couple of the State GMA's have bans on spinners, but not other motorized decoys here in Michigan.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum