Separating bird species in decoys?

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Separating bird species in decoys?

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:Damba. I do bad work. That last "But I put most of my teal close to big ducks in the belief that their size difference adds to the illusion of life from a distance:" pic shoulda been this one:

Do dakotas start to fade pretty bad after a while or is it just the pic?

No that is a blonde mallard decoy, he picked it up in a combo pack with his Black duck X mallard decoys.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:18 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Do you guys do this? Do ducks segregate themselves? This year we segregated our decoys based on species, wigeon with wigeon, mallards with mallards, divers with divers, and intermingled coots with all. Is this a good idea?

I was running around 8 to 16 decs most of the season. Mix of mallards gaddys wigeon spoons and sprig. Separating them a good distance apart. Most of the time the birds would work into their own species more times then not. If that says anything.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:24 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Do you guys do this? Do ducks segregate themselves? This year we segregated our decoys based on species, wigeon with wigeon, mallards with mallards, divers with divers, and intermingled coots with all. Is this a good idea?

I was running around 8 to 16 decs most of the season. Mix of mallards gaddys wigeon spoons and sprig. Separating them a good distance apart. Most of the time the birds would work into their own species more times then not. If that says anything.

Yeah we usually throw our mallards 30 yards to one side of us, and our wigeon 30 yards to the other side. This year we are going to try placing them in groups of 2-4 also. And we're adding sprigs to the spread.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yeah we usually throw our mallards 30 yards to one side of us, and our wigeon 30 yards to the other side. This year we are going to try placing them in groups of 2-4 also. And we're adding sprigs to the spread.

Honestly, Try and get alot of white out there. I love using spoony decs, it seems to grab the birds attention.
GadwallGetter530

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:31 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Honestly, Try and get alot of white out there. I love using spoony decs, it seems to grab the birds attention.

When were on the lake we run 4 dozen cans and a dozen bluebills, plus the goose decoys.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

When were on the lake we run 4 dozen cans and a dozen bluebills, plus the goose decoys.

Yeah. I think that'll do it.lol
GadwallGetter530

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yeah. I think that'll do it.lol

:lol: We only run that many because the canvasbacks here are stuck up bastards and will only land with a huge group of other canvasbacks. They refuse to land with puddler decoy. It has worked so far. We just run a big V to us, and it sucks 'em right in.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Rick wrote:Damba. I do bad work. That last "But I put most of my teal close to big ducks in the belief that their size difference adds to the illusion of life from a distance:" pic shoulda been this one:

Do dakotas start to fade pretty bad after a while or is it just the pic?

They do eventually fade, but I'd not call it "bad" considering that decoy's been left out for four seasons, and this was the first of those it didn't spend an extra month or so in the sun waiting for me to get back in the marsh for pick up. Not until April last year.

Then, too, I'm pretty sure their hen paint scheme was just changed again, because folks complained about that generation being too light (first year's was "too yellow"). Here's what they started out like:

Have owned much worse:
Rick

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 am

Obviously I know next to nothing about puddlers, but to my eye, that decoy right next to the coyote's head (where he's returning with the bird) looks pretty good to me. Moreso than most new ones I see pictures of.
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Different decoys for different setups on different days in different states. You know it's..different. :)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Mingling your scaup, ringers and redheads is fine. Keep your eyes, buffies and cans separate
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04 pm

jehler wrote:Mingling your scaup, ringers and redheads is fine. Keep your eyes, buffies and cans separate

What about mingling cans with scaup? This year was the first my dad has even out out diver decoys, so we are just figuring that part out.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:25 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
jehler wrote:Mingling your scaup, ringers and redheads is fine. Keep your eyes, buffies and cans separate

What about mingling cans with scaup? This year was the first my dad has even out out diver decoys, so we are just figuring that part out.

What did Jehler say? Never mingle those guys! Is TK going to hang out with Jesse Jackson? No!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:41 pm

HAHAHA
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:43 pm

But my can decoys and buffy decoys all look the same...
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

moved to timber brakes this year ........do doubt that setting woodies apart from the others makes a difference.

when hunting the marsh.....I like to group teal.....but not really seperate them from the puddlers .....if that makes sense....

by season's end, I usually only have a six pack anyway
simplepeddler

Postby Legband » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm

I always separate my decoys by species.
And you can watch the birds land in their kind very regularly.
While it's true that ducks mix in their natural habitat , it's also true that they segregate .
I have come to believe it gives me greater drawing power to the spread to segregate.
We hunt with spreads as big as 25 dozen and as small as a 1/2 dozen.
The 1/2 dozen is always mallards or cans , mallards when hunting puddle ducks and cans when hunting divers.
I set up six to eight blinds a year in various locations from Oregon to central California and use the same system successfully.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby RonE » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:59 am

Legband wrote:

While it's true that ducks mix in their natural habitat , it's also true that they segregate .
I have come to believe it gives me greater drawing power to the spread to segregate.
The 1/2 dozen is always mallards or cans , mallards when hunting puddle ducks and cans when hunting divers.
I set up six to eight blinds a year in various locations from Oregon to central California and use the same system successfully.

Welcome to WFF Joe!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:11 am

Legband wrote:

welcome legband
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Legband » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks guys
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:16 am

Nice to see a Grasslands Guy telling it like it is , that's the way we work birds too !
It just depends on the time and place in the Grasslands of Central Calif !
3200 Man

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:51 am

If I win the lottery, I'm buying as much CA grassland as I can and planting cashew trees.
assateague

Postby Legband » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 am

Make sure you buy the new waterless cashew trees lol.
the west side water allotments are almost non existent.
Very sad very scary
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Legband wrote:Make sure you buy the new waterless cashew trees lol.
the west side water allotments are almost non existent.
Very sad very scary

Trust me 3200 has made that abundantly clear.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 pm

assateague wrote:If I win the lottery, I'm buying as much CA grassland as I can and planting cashew trees.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Bootlipkiller

Postby Bud » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 am

Wonder how much water they use fighting fires?

I watch birds at our local Refuge and have noticed a few things. There may be six mallards, 12 gadwall, 50 teal, 20 shovelers, and a pair of mottled ducks in one pool feeding...............mixed with coots here and there. If they are all close enough to call similar to a spread, there almost always seems to be one or two mallards close(but not too close) to the gadwall. 12 gadwall may be split up in 8 together, two kinda close to the mallard group, and a lone pair out there away from them all. The mottled ducks are out of sight away from the rest. The shovelers may be in small groups mixed as bad as the coots: everywhere.

When I get lucky and spot a family of cans, they are usually by themselves but don't mind the teal. It would appear the coots and shovelers are taking over. Most all the ringers are in a little deeper water near lily pads, and I see a lot of those: lots of times in different pools with coots and a few teal near the edges where it is more shallow.

Now I have the need for ducks on the water and in the skies. It's always good just to see them.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Previous

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum