2014-2015 Preseason...

Re: 2014-2015 Preseason...

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Blocked the pipe with a board?

The drain for the east end of the farm is a 16" pipe running under the center road and into the interior canal that goes around your end and feeds the pump. Once had a board overflow box like those on your piece, except it was already broken up when we took over the farm, and I cut a plywood piece that just completely blocked the pipe, instead. Something has since happened to that board, and someone tried closing the pipe with one of the old board box's sides that wasn't wide enough, instead of butting the two sides together, which would have done the trick. Hence their "leak". Put a proper sized board there yesterday, least that mistake be repeated.

While I've opened and closed the drains on that farm often enough, this was the first time I've done the pumping, and that's been revealing. Pump canal is so full of flotant that water has to be pulled very slowly for it to get from the the outside pipe or screw gate to the pump without sucking the flotant with it and clogging the works. But it turns out that's a good thing, because the eastward flood canal is so full of canouche/maidencane that water going into it finds it easier to get out over the south end of the canal, back by your blind, and into the center portion of the farm than push through to the east end at other than very low volume.

Of course, what's sorely needed is a hoe to clean both pump and flood canals, which doesn't seem apt to happen under current mgt. But it's something to keep in mind, if you should end up there without us, as the pump's very near the end of its usefulness without it.

Yes to all of that. Flooding that east side is one heck of a chore right now and it was a relief of sorts not to have to mess with it this year. That place needs a lot of TLC.

The drains in the levee that forms the cut where that east side drains were blocked by us last year. We used sand bags and dirt in all drains except for the first drain in the the east west portion of that levee near the road, we made and installed a gate on that one. There may be some leaks in one or more of those drains, as we had to monitor those drains and patch leaks all season. I think there are (4) drains in that levee, if I remember correctly.We did that to shorten the pump time needed to flood the main cuts for the blind area. We didn't have that drain pipe closed last year.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Met your neighbor out there this morning. Nice fellow who's been dealt a bad hand. Agreed to close the north cut to at least get huntable water there, then add overflow to south cut which does still have a fair little pond in the buffalo wallow. Ran that blind levee and next one to find drain cuts and found only the one west of the blind on that levee and closed boxes in the levee between the blind's south cut and field bottom, as you've indicated. Rats must have been very busy out there, and it will no doubt remain problematic.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Yes, we found only one cut in the blind levee and it's where you say it is. The east side of that field is high on grade and the levees are topped on the west before any substantial amount of water reaches it. The levees have settled a bit over the years, I suspect.

I wouldn't mind helping that guy keep his place huntable through this second split. I haven't met him.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm

He wasn't even sure someone was hunting your blind but had seen the trucks. Already told him he should say hey to you folks if he got a chance. Not a speck hunter and bummed about the lack of ducks this year. Told him you'd be a better source than I for how it's generally been. Name's Arron Breaux.

May see you myself in the morning, as I've been shutting the pump down at night. Something I hate to do with him so low and it so slow but hate not to, too, given the givens. Don't want to be the guy who burns it up.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Rick wrote:He wasn't even sure someone was hunting your blind but had seen the trucks. Already told him he should say hey to you folks if he got a chance. Not a speck hunter and bummed about the lack of ducks this year. Told him you'd be a better source than I for how it's generally been. Name's Arron Breaux.

May see you myself in the morning, as I've been shutting the pump down at night. Something I hate to do with him so low and it so slow but hate not to, too, given the givens. Don't want to be the guy who burns it up.

Rick, I can start the pump in the morning. I'll check their water situation and make a decision before I leave tomorrow. No need for you to travel to our place just for that. I don't mind doing it. I just need to know if you left a battery on site or if I need to bring one with us. I'll check this in the morning before we leave to get your answer.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:32 am

Been afraid to leave a new battery so close to a backroad and won't get there until after the hunt this morning (bad night), so it would be great if you could take a battery and start it when you get there this morning. Can't run faster than a hair over 400rpm without ill result. Been using a wire (one without bottle) hanging from the discharge pipe as my gauge with canal surface at its tip at max RPM. I'll be by this morning regardless. Thanks.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:49 am

will do
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm

"No good deed goes unpunished:" don'tcha know DComeaux broke the pump.

OK, so maybe it wasn't his fault it tried to eat a board or some such.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Haha way to go Comeaux!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Rick wrote: Don't want to be the guy who burns it up.

Yeah, these are the words that came to mind when I heard the belts squealing and the engine lug, as flew out of the blind and began to run through the water for the bike!

Rick set me up!
DComeaux

Postby Bud » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Rick wrote:"No good deed goes unpunished:" don'tcha know DComeaux broke the pump.

Maybe I understand that saying just a little better now. :qh:

OK, so maybe it wasn't his fault it tried to eat a board or some such.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Previous

Return to Rick 2014-2015