Opening Day

Opening Day

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:58 am

Have a cold. Took NyQuil last night. Overslept my alarm by an hour and a half.
Good thing I scouted - this is going to suck.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Re: Opening Day

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:41 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote: - this is going to suck.

Naw, it's going to be an adventure, and you've already had your first adrenaline rush. You're actually way ahead of the game.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:37 am

That sucks
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:38 am

Got my 3 woodies in 20 min this morning. Now waiting on some mallards they will probably never come.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:04 am

Got some kinda diver swimming around in the decoys now. Fat beak and stubby tail
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Opening Day

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:03 am

Rick wrote:

Naw, it's going to be an adventure, and you've already had your first adrenaline rush. You're actually way ahead of the game.

Adventure - yes.

I'm home, already had a hot shower and my waders are on the dryer.

"Adventures".
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:16 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Got some kinda diver swimming around in the decoys now. Fat beak and stubby tail

It's a rare grebe. Kill it and get it to a taxidermist ASAP.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:17 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Rick wrote:

Adventure - yes.

I'm home, already had a hot shower and my waders are on the dryer.

"Adventures".

"Story at 11:00"?
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:50 am

10/3/15
Temp: 38°
Wind: ENE @ 10-15mph
Overcast - but no rain.

Decided to hunt one of the wood duck holes I'd scouted earlier in the week.
Despite setting my alarm for 4:30 pm, and waking up at 5:25, I was still able to get to the spot I wanted by 6:15 or so (LST @ 7:18 today) since I'd loaded up everything last night.

Parked the truck, grabbed the shotgun and a couple decoys (just because, OK??) and started my walk/wade to a high spot in the middle of the mostly waist deep hole.
I'd covered about 150 yards and was half way to where I wanted to be when I stepped into the beaver run and went down like a sack of hammers - ensuring that this hunt was one for the ages.
Got to the middle, threw the decoys and shivered for another 20 minutes until sunrise.
Saw a few woody's, and as there type is want to do - they went where they wanted, which was nowhere near where I was.
Had seen 25-30 in this spot earlier in the week which is why it was my choice...but that's the way it goes somedays.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443883703.896436.jpg

To say I'm satisfied with the way the morning went would be a lie, but another season, another sunrise and another chance to do it again.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:31 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:10/3/15
Overcast - but no rain.

Despite setting my alarm for 4:30 pm, and waking up at 5:25, I was still able to get to the spot I wanted by 6:15 or so (LST @ 7:18 today) since I'd loaded up everything last night.

Parked the truck, grabbed the shotgun and a couple decoys (just because, OK??) and started my walk/wade to a high spot in the middle of the mostly waist deep hole.
I'd covered about 150 yards and was half way to where I wanted to be when I stepped into the beaver run and went down like a sack of hammers - ensuring that this hunt was one for the ages.
Got to the middle, threw the decoys and shivered for another 20 minutes until sunrise.
Saw a few woody's, and as there type is want to do - they went where they wanted, which was nowhere near where I was.
Had seen 25-30 in this spot earlier in the week which is why it was my choice...but that's the way it goes somedays.

To say I'm satisfied with the way the morning went would be a lie, but another season, another sunrise and another chance to do it again.

Those are the types of hunts you always remember! For better or worse :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Tomorrow's another day.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am

Overcast - but no rain.

Beaver runs are the debil :evil:
At least you now know "where" they are going at daylight, and tomorrow is another day :thumbsup:
I started using a walking stick when walking in flooded clear cuts a few years ago, not only probing for beaver runs, but also for the stability a third leg can afford, wading blindly in the dark. It has saved my arse more than once!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 am

Overcast - but no rain.

Better than opening day this year, for me.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Deltaman wrote:
Overcast - but no rain.

Beaver runs are the debil :evil:
At least you now know "where" they are going at daylight, and tomorrow is another day :thumbsup:
I started using a walking stick when walking in flooded clear cuts a few years ago, not only probing for beaver runs, but also for the stability a third leg can afford, wading blindly in the dark. It has saved my arse more than once!

Yeah, I remember thinking - "I'm gonna wish I had a wading stick before this is over".

I forgot all those old tricks I used to know...have spent the last 10-12 years hunting open water almost exclusively.
But it's too early for that, and the seasons open...so I guess.
Gonna giver' another go in the morning.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Woody wrote:
Overcast - but no rain.

I was so pissed off at myself for messing up the wake up call, I almost stayed home...then I remembered that I have a finite number of days left to watch the sunrise...
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Woody wrote:
Overcast - but no rain.

I was so pissed off at myself for messing up the wake up call, I almost stayed home...then I remembered that I have a finite number of days left to watch the sunrise...

"only so many days in a season" has gotten me out of bed many many times.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Lot of days I know it's a long shot and the only thing getting me up is knowing days are numbered and I don't want to miss any of them.

I'm even getting up at 4 am for the next couple weeks so it's not such a blow loosing 3 hours from time zones and getting up early to go hunting.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Return to DeadEye_Dan 2015-2016