Kayaks

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Kayaks

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 am

I've been thinking about getting a kayak to use for duck hunting and fishing. I also want to get one for my wife.

Since I've never even been in a kayak, what should I be looking for. For my wife, she's not very strong and definitely needs to feel stable until she gets used to it.
SpinnerMan

Re: Kayaks

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 pm

All depends on what you want. If you get a two person kayak, there will be room for more decoys, but it's heavier and more cumbersome. If you get a sit on top kayak, they self drain to stay dryer but they are less stable. A standard sit inside kayak can be found pretty cheaply, but you'll have less room. A hunting kayak will give ample room and stability, but doesn't track well while paddling.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Don't know what I want, but your post helps me start asking the right questions.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 pm

If I may piggy-back a related question, I've long thought a kayak paddle should be better than a canoe type paddle for use when poling my pirogue isn't a better option, and this is what I'm currently looking at http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-X-1-Kayak-Paddle-84-Inch/dp/B001445ETI/ref=sr_1_1?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1423684334&sr=1-1.

Any input on suitable paddle length or design would be appreciated.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:42 am

Also spinner, just expect to get wet. I always have my waders and waterproof coat on because despite the best water stopping ring things (I believe that's the technical term) at the end of the paddles, water will still drip down onto you and in the kayak.

I have no idea how you are supposed to figure out paddle length, sorry. That's a pretty cheap price tho.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby blockmaker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Rick wrote:If I may piggy-back a related question, I've long thought a kayak paddle should be better than a canoe type paddle for use when poling my pirogue isn't a better option, and this is what I'm currently looking at http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-X-1-Kayak-Paddle-84-Inch/dp/B001445ETI/ref=sr_1_1?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1423684334&sr=1-1.

Any input on suitable paddle length or design would be appreciated.

Just went thru this same thing rick. We use a small pirogue at times. It came with a 6' kayak style paddle, it was straight. I found it very difficult to use. I came across a shorter paddle at a yard sale that, for lack of a better term, cupped blades, I liked the shorter length with the cup. My partner that uses it likes the longer straight type. I guess I'm zero help then.
blockmaker

Postby Archeryrob » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:28 pm

I use kayaks pretty exclusively, so feel free to ask me any questions.

Kayaks
Its very much a personal choice. I would probably recommend a Sit in Kayak for you wife, unless she will be around rough water. You sit low to the water and as long as it the bottom is wide its pretty stable. Stable in a kayak is determined by the flatness and width of the bottom. Wide is more stable and slower and less wide and longer and you get a faster, less stable kayak. A similar kayak would be a Sea Kayak, such as a Wilderness Systems tsunami.

Wilderness Systems tsunami (Sea Kayak) notice long and skinny

Wilderness Commander, My favorite hunting and fishing kayak. It's kind a canoe/kayak hybrid and have a lower seat like a normal kayak and an upper seat where you can fold the lower seat under and sit in the depression behind the seat. This is very comfortable and lets you bend you legs more. I sit sideways on the upper seat fishing in the summer with my legs in the water. This one is very stable. This one is not mine, mine is camo, of course. You can stand in this one also, but the sides rub your calf if you do it a lot.

Here is another Sit in Kayak my daughter uses all the time. Its a Old Town Vapor 10. Only 10' long but very wide and stable. We got this for $200 used from a place that used it as a rental. This was her a couple of years back and you can see she could sit sideways in it. It's all about learning your balance.

My rough water and dog kayak is the Wilderness Ride 135, which is a Sit on Top kayak. I can take it through the surf and into the Ocean if I wanted too. You can't sink it unless you drill a hole in it. I have had this out in water that looked like the guys near me in Jon boats looked like they were going to get sick. :D I use it on the Chesapeake for stripers and fish the shipping channels and take all the wakes the boats throw. Mine is camo, though for Hunting and I stand in this all the time.

Balance
Staying upright is a kayak is really simple and most people never understand it and fight it. Your butt is always in the seat. The key is where your shoulders go, so does the kayak. If the kayak goes too far left, shift your shoulders right. It takes gettign used too, but after a trip or two it's automatic.

Paddles
Don't buy the crappy paddles they sell at Cabelas or some other stores, they suck! Standard blades are just that and not veyr helpful. A cheap Carlisle Day tripper can be bought from Dick's or a place like that for $60 and they have a defined top and bottom to them and a semi cupped side. The aluminum shafts can get worn out if you are a hard paddler, as I am. These would serve most kayakers plenty enough as they don't use them enough or paddle as hard.

Personally I like the Bending Branches Classic Angler. A combination of price and is very durable. I have the Green one.
http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/collections/paddles/products/bending-branches-angler-classic

Yes, its $140, but it has a fiberglass shaft for stiffness and longevity and ABS blades. I fish the Upper Potomac and use it as a push pole on the rocks to get through rapids. Fiberglass blades don't take to rocks very well and Carbon fiber shafts reduce weight but are so expensive. I have one for the bay and it's nice, but it's so light if I anchor on the bay the wind can literally blow it off the kayak. I don't have that problem with my Classic Angler paddle
Archeryrob

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks. That is great information.
SpinnerMan

Postby Archeryrob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 am

The best thing to do is to call some of the local shops and ask them if they are having any demo days this spring. Or get on the local kayak fishing groups and most guys will take you out and let you see some of their kayaks. Most of us own several of these "Little boats" :D

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewforum.php?f=109

I can't push paddling kayaks before you buy enough. We have all bought our first kayak as a mistake and upgraded to something else.
Archeryrob

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:42 am

I definitely don't plan on buying one before I've been in one.

And thanks a lot. My account was still good. I hadn't been on the Chitown Angler for a long time. My last post was 2009.

Great link. Thanks.
SpinnerMan

Postby lurejunkee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:19 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I definitely don't plan on buying one before I've been in one.

And thanks a lot. My account was still good. I hadn't been on the Chitown Angler for a long time. My last post was 2009.

Great link. Thanks.

Have you found a yak yet?
lurejunkee

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:16 pm

lurejunkee wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I definitely don't plan on buying one before I've been in one.

Great link. Thanks.

Have you found a yak yet?

I did some homework, but I did not yet buy a kayak. Hell this year I haven't even gotten out in either of the two boats that I already own :shock:

If I stumble on a good deal I think I know what I'm buying. However, I just don't have the time to use one at the moment.
SpinnerMan

Postby lurejunkee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:55 pm

I fish down on the middle Texas coast and I use a sit on top kayak to get me where I need to go for 7 years now. I've fished beyond the breakers for kings, snapper and sharks. Hands down I would never use a sit in style kayak. It's difficult to turtle a sit on top kayak with decent width and great stability. Check out and talk to the folks at Austin Canoe and Kayak. Talk to someone at one of the Houston TX stores they may be able to get u in the right direction. With a sit on top, you can swing your legs in and out and around. Jackson Kayaks makes a few that are nice. Girlfriend uses a Cuda 14. I like the wilderness system commander if u want a sit in type of yak. That'd be it for me.
lurejunkee

Postby Archeryrob » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:03 am

OK, being from the Texas "coast" you would need a sit on top to get around with breakers and all. You also have very little experience with the cold.

Ducks are the best out here when a NW cold front is pushing through. Its 15 - 25 degrees, the wind is blowing 20mph or gusting more. Crawling down inside of my Commander is much warmer that being exposed on top of my Ride 135. Its just like a layout blind, its not insulated but it keeps the wind off of you and makes you feel so much warmer.

My point being they all have their purpose and functionality at times.
Archeryrob

Postby lurejunkee » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 pm

lurejunkee wrote:I like the wilderness system commander if u want a sit in type of yak. That'd be it for me.

Very true.
lurejunkee

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum