Boat problems??

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Boat problems??

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:49 am

My year so far has been littered with problems with my boat. When I crank it up, it's skipping, almost like the gas isn't getting to the motor all the time. When I go to run it, it'll run, and you can almost get to fill speed, but it'll skip every now and then, and it feels like your running aground, that's how hard it's skipping.. I think every thread I've posted is me having a problem with something! Lol. Any help is appreciated.
Kerrywhite30

Re: Boat problems??

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Year, model, horsepower?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Year, model, horsepower?

70 evinrude, I'm not sure the year, I know it's old
Kerrywhite30

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Sounds electrical to me. Maybe a coil pack breaking up.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:04 am

Or your dogs on the gears in the lower unit are going back. Mine does that if I don't hold the shift lever forward. While running if I go all out it'll feel like I hit something with the prop of I don't hold that lever.

It doesn't do it when not in gear tho
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Goldfish wrote:Or your dogs on the gears in the lower unit are going back. Mine does that if I don't hold the shift lever forward. While running if I go all out it'll feel like I hit something with the prop of I don't hold that lever.

It doesn't do it when not in gear tho

This happens in gear as well... It seems like gas is just shutting off randomly, but I've looked up the symptoms, some people say maybe a power pack? But what I was thinking was maybe a clogged carbuerator or fuel
FIlter?
Kerrywhite30

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Pretty much the first thing I do when I get a new motor is pick up a shop manual for it. It will give you troubleshooting tips and help diagnose problems as well as how to fix them.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby outboardman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

That does sound like a power pack. If it was the carb it would not skip it would bog. What is the model #
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby capt1972 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:22 pm

outboardman wrote:That does sound like a power pack. If it was the carb it would not skip it would bog. What is the model #

Nobody listens to Capt.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Deltaman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 am

Had an identical issue with an OMC 70 h.p. a few years back, and kept thinking it was a gas issue as well. Turned out to be one of the wires coming off of the coil, causing it to intermittently miss. Like yours, it would run, but was skipping and sounded like shit. Had to have a mechanic trace the fire, and there was a break in wire, a few inches away from the coil, under the insulation. So if it's not the coil itself, could very well be the same issue.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby outboardman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:04 pm

capt1972 wrote:
outboardman wrote:That does sound like a power pack. If it was the carb it would not skip it would bog. What is the model #

Nobody listens to Capt.

Hey capt, 70 evinrudes don't have coil packs. They have ignition coils and power packs. Newer mercs have coilpacks, that's a ignition coil and a pack(Switch box) combined into one.

Kerry, start it up in the dark and see if you can see any spark jumping to ground. That will show a bad ignition wire or I have seen spark jump right out of a ignition coil the wire hooks to.
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby capt1972 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 pm

outboardman wrote:
capt1972 wrote:

Nobody listens to Capt.

Hey capt, 70 evinrudes don't have coil packs. They have ignition coils and power packs. Newer mercs have coilpacks, that's a ignition coil and a pack(Switch box) combined into one.

Kerry, start it up in the dark and see if you can see any spark jumping to ground. That will show a bad ignition wire or I have seen spark jump right out of a ignition coil the wire hooks to.

Da Fuck?! You knew what I meant didn't ya? :roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum