Hybrid

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Hybrid

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I don't know much about Arizona... What type of camo pattern will you use? The color of desert sand? :lol: or is there foliage out there?
This is where I picture you hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395230481.583880.jpg

:lol: it's not quite that barren. We there is water we get se foliage. Lotsa sage brush, Cattails/tules, and too damn much salt cedar. More like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395236416.221643.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 am

On the build I would recommend a more powerful circular saw than 18v cordless. It bogged down cutting se of the curves which made the not as smooth/accurate.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 am

gila-river wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:I don't know much about Arizona... What type of camo pattern will you use? The color of desert sand? :lol: or is there foliage out there?
This is where I picture you hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395230481.583880.jpg

:lol: it's not quite that barren. We there is water we get se foliage. Lotsa sage brush, Cattails/tules, and too damn much salt cedar. More like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395236416.221643.jpg

Here's a better one flint:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395236892.797642.jpg
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby assateague » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 am

Which "river" is that? :lol:

I forgot to add, a belt sander is an incredible time saver on this job as well. You won't have to sorry about getting the sides/bottom lined up exact, and when you fill the inside curve with bondo or whatever you're going to use, you can take the belt sander to the outside corners and round them off a bit, and take care of any spots where the plywood hung down a bit too far when you stitched it together.
assateague

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 am

assateague wrote:Which "river" is that? :lol:

I forgot to add, a belt sander is an incredible time saver on this job as well. You won't have to sorry about getting the sides/bottom lined up exact, and when you fill the inside curve with bondo or whatever you're going to use, you can take the belt sander to the outside corners and round them off a bit, and take care of any spots where the plywood hung down a bit too far when you stitched it together.

Ha! That's the Gila after one of the wettest winters we have ever recorded:lol: I think I will make a run to harbor freight today and see what I can find for a belt sander
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby assateague » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

Doesn't have to be a big one. And use coarse paper, 80 works well. But be careful, because it will take that luaun off in a damn hurry.
assateague

Postby assateague » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 am

Now that I think about this, I rounded off all the outside corners a little bit, to help the glass lay better. Don't know if it's necessary, and I didn't remove much, but it definitely made the glassing easier, in my opinion.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am

assateague wrote:Now that I think about this, I rounded off all the outside corners a little bit, to help the glass lay better. Don't know if it's necessary, and I didn't remove much, but it definitely made the glassing easier, in my opinion.

I left a few sharp corners on my Kara and that was a lesson learned. Everything will be rounded from now on.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Night two.
Layout and cut transom and frame:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395285913.221014.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395285928.153535.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395285948.420757.jpg

Attach to hull:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395286062.036814.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395286078.006004.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395286090.653835.jpg
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Again I was short stopped by my sub standard power tools. My charger won't charge the battery when it's hot so I kept putting it in the freezer. My wife is keeping heavy sighs and eye rolling to a minimum this far. I cannot stress enough to anyone doing this build. Get plug in power tools and skip the recharging shit altogether.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby gila-river » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Also I cut the transom first but it was a little bowed so I moved it to the mid-frame. They are the same piece one just has the center cut out.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:33 am

:thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:11 am

gila-river wrote:Again I was short stopped by my sub standard power tools. My charger won't charge the battery when it's hot so I kept putting it in the freezer. My wife is keeping heavy sighs and eye rolling to a minimum this far. I cannot stress enough to anyone doing this build. Get plug in power tools and skip the recharging shit altogether.

Has she vocalized her belief that you will surely die in a homemade boat? It took almost a year before I finally stopped hearing that shit.
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 am

assateague wrote:
gila-river wrote:Again I was short stopped by my sub standard power tools. My charger won't charge the battery when it's hot so I kept putting it in the freezer. My wife is keeping heavy sighs and eye rolling to a minimum this far. I cannot stress enough to anyone doing this build. Get plug in power tools and skip the recharging shit altogether.

Has she vocalized her belief that you will surely die in a homemade boat? It took almost a year before I finally stopped hearing that shit.

Are you starting your bigger one any time soon?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:36 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Why would Jim make a bigger one? When this one is so stable...

Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:38 am

Woody wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Maybe bc he's been saying he's gonna make a bigger one...
FlintRiverFowler

Postby gila-river » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 am

assateague wrote:

Oh ya. I told my boys "sure I'll take you for a ride when she is finished"
Her reply of "like hell you will" was pretty adamant. The plus side is she has narrowed down the boats names for me. She either goin to be the "death trap" or "the widow maker" :lol:
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wasn't allowed to put the kids in it for almost the entire first year, even when we were just pulling it behind us loaded with the coolers and stuff when we went clamming. The water was knee deep- what the fuck was it gonna do, blow up?

Mine is named The Lamont, because of all the times my wife referred to me as "you big dummy" when I was building it.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

Woody wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Need a bigger one to fit the dog.

Flint, probably not going to start it until late next month at the soonest. I want it to be nice and warm.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 am

And that boat is far more stable than I am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 am

assateague wrote:
Woody wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Need a bigger one to fit the dog.

Flint, probably not going to start it until late next month at the soonest. I want it to be nice and warm.

Shits going to be heavy

:D
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby gila-river » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 am

Are you looking just to lengthen the boat Assa? What do you think of the pods? I really wanted to do them on this build but decided just to stick to the script my first go-round.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:25 am

gila-river wrote:
assateague wrote:

Her reply of "like hell you will" was pretty adamant. The plus side is she has narrowed down the boats names for me. She either goin to be the "death trap" or "the widow maker" :lol:

If you don't like those names, you better name it before she does. Renaming a boat is bad luck.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

Yep, I'm going to make it about 11-12 feet and add pods, but the width will stay the same. May be a little shorter, because I need to fit it on my 8' utility trailer I use to tote it around. Not buying a new trailer.
assateague

Postby gila-river » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

Goldfish wrote:
gila-river wrote:
assateague wrote:

If you don't like those names, you better name it before she does. Renaming a boat is bad luck.

I will name it the most beautiful name I can think of....Jenny.
(Read in Forrest Gump voice to increase comedic value)
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am

assateague wrote:Yep, I'm going to make it about 11-12 feet and add pods, but the width will stay the same. May be a little shorter, because I need to fit it on my 8' utility trailer I use to tote it around. Not buying a new trailer.

You should put a hard sided blind on it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am

I should make it look like a huge snapping turtle.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 am

That'd be great
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

assateague wrote:I should make it look like a huge snapping turtle.

You should name it, "In here, it's always Saturday".

Then see what happens on a Sunday.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 am

gila-river wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
gila-river wrote:
assateague wrote:

I will name it the most beautiful name I can think of....Jenny.
(Read in Forrest Gump voice to increase comedic value)

the Jen Nay
Goldfish

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum