Boat Painting Plan

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Boat Painting Plan

Postby thierracing » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 pm

SO my buddy and I are start to build a duck boat and we're to the point of painting. the boat is a green fiber glass now but we're thinking a brown base coat then covering that off with an olive green. My main question is what have you guys used for stencils or things along the lines of that. We hunt in cattails mainly. So reeds are going to be what we want in our design? anyone have any pics or stencils they could share? or advice? Not sure how I feel about just using reel reeds to pant the outline of. Want it to look nice.

Oh also, off topic, but should we use 1/2 or 3/4 EMT conduit for the blind?

Thanks, Matt
thierracing

Re: Boat Painting Plan

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Cardboard cut out stencils. I've never used them on a boat, but that how we do our deer blinds.

And use 3/4. Half is too flimsy unless your building a really little blind.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Woody has a thread going for his tender boat about paint where you will probably find answers to most of your paint questions. Also I have a thread with some pics of my blind on here as well, its all 3/4" emt. Pretty simple in design but works very well for me.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:49 pm

thierracing wrote:SO my buddy and I are start to build a duck boat and we're to the point of painting. the boat is a green fiber glass now but we're thinking a brown base coat then covering that off with an olive green. My main question is what have you guys used for stencils or things along the lines of that. We hunt in cattails mainly. So reeds are going to be what we want in our design? anyone have any pics or stencils they could share? or advice? Not sure how I feel about just using reel reeds to pant the outline of. Want it to look nice.

Thanks, Matt

Don't use brown for a base coat, use tan. Then grab handfuls of whatever, I used hacks of baling twine, twigs from a maple tree, some crepe myrtle branches, and I think some old dead cattails. Then lightly overspray them with the greens and browns. LIGHTLY. And mix it up some. Then you're pretty much done. You can slap some handpainted reeds on if you want, but it's probably not necessary. But use tan for the base coat, and leave plenty of it showing. Please. Otherwise, it will be a big dark blob from more than 20 feet away.

hybrid test 6.jpg

hybrid test 4.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby RonE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am

I used 1/2" conduit to build my pop up boat blind and it worked well.

Welcome to the forum. Where do you duck hunt?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby thierracing » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 am

assateague wrote:
thierracing wrote:SO my buddy and I are start to build a duck boat and we're to the point of painting. the boat is a green fiber glass now but we're thinking a brown base coat then covering that off with an olive green. My main question is what have you guys used for stencils or things along the lines of that. We hunt in cattails mainly. So reeds are going to be what we want in our design? anyone have any pics or stencils they could share? or advice? Not sure how I feel about just using reel reeds to pant the outline of. Want it to look nice.

Thanks, Matt

Don't use brown for a base coat, use tan. Then grab handfuls of whatever, I used hacks of baling twine, twigs from a maple tree, some crepe myrtle branches, and I think some old dead cattails. Then lightly overspray them with the greens and browns. LIGHTLY. And mix it up some. Then you're pretty much done. You can slap some handpainted reeds on if you want, but it's probably not necessary. But use tan for the base coat, and leave plenty of it showing. Please. Otherwise, it will be a big dark blob from more than 20 feet away.

hybrid test 6.jpg

hybrid test 4.jpg

Thanks for the info! The boat is green now, should we just paint the tan right over top of the green fiberglass or will we have to do other base coats before the tan to get the right color?
thierracing

Postby thierracing » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Cardboard cut out stencils. I've never used them on a boat, but that how we do our deer blinds.

And use 3/4. Half is too flimsy unless your building a really little blind.

Thanks ours is a 16' boat so we will use the 3/4
thierracing

Postby Goldfish » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 pm

thierracing wrote:
assateague wrote:

Thanks, Matt

hybrid test 6.jpg

hybrid test 4.jpg

Thanks for the info! The boat is green now, should we just paint the tan right over top of the green fiberglass or will we have to do other base coats before the tan to get the right color?

Do the tan as the base. You have to work backwards kinda because you will use sticks/grass/reeds to cover it to spray the other colors, so what color is on the bottom once done will be your "top" color
(as long as you start light, then mist over it with greens and browns)
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Juice Box » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397013801.903367.jpg

This is my boat. I used cardboard stencils I made in my own to paint it.
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby thierracing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:00 pm

What about painting an olive green for a base then going over with reed cut out stencils for the tan to spray the reeds on top? Will that work? that was our original plan, but curious as to what you guys would do. I just want to do what works best.
thierracing

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 pm

thierracing wrote:What about painting an olive green for a base then going over with reed cut out stencils for the tan to spray the reeds on top? Will that work? that was our original plan, but curious as to what you guys would do. I just want to do what works best.

It would be pretty dark looking. Best IMO is tan base. Dark brushy camo. Then tan reeds over the top.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Yes, that's how I've done camo paint in the past(never on anything as big as a boat). You also don't even need stencils, you can just use reeds, leaves, sticks, whatever and use that as a natural stencil.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm

In my opinion, stencils make a pattern which is too dense. I've never liked the stencil thing. Looks good on the trailer, but when backed into the reeds, looks like a big dark blob. I used tan as a base, and only covered it lightly and sparingly. By all means, do whatever you want and what you think looks good. This is just my opinion.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 pm

AT and Nuff are on track.

On this one, I grabbed some weeds and sprayed krylon at will.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397075453.976616.jpg
Tomkat

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Tomkat wrote:AT and Nuff are on track.

On this one, I grabbed some weeds and sprayed krylon at will.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397075453.976616.jpg

That kinda shadow camo from over spraying brush is my favorite type of camo.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

By doing that you are essentially painting the foreground as the base coat then spraying on the background. But it leaves dark and light spots.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:05 pm

And works like a motherfuckin' champ.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm

The detail is really cool. The trick is to use random coats and patterns. I use tall grass, tree branches ect. What ever is handy.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 pm

This is what it looks like with a dark base and trying to go light over top, and then tying to get your pattern on top of it:
uploadfromtaptalk1397094131440.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397094159477.jpg

The boat was already black, so I didn't bother trying to paint the base tan, but you can see how dark it turns out.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby thierracing » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm

so I should paint the boat tan and then just use my greens and browns to blow over my reeds to make my camo? Sounds pretty easy. Just want a good ending product. Thanks for all the input guys!!
thierracing

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Yes, that's what I'd recommend. And be careful with overspraying the reeds and such- you want it to stay open and irregular, and it's easy to get carried away, and end up cluttering it up too much. Less is more when it comes to this.
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:49 am

assateague wrote:In my opinion, stencils make a pattern which is too dense. I've never liked the stencil thing. Looks good on the trailer, but when backed into the reeds, looks like a big dark blob. I used tan as a base, and only covered it lightly and sparingly. By all means, do whatever you want and what you think looks good. This is just my opinion.

AT has a ton of experience and he figures stuff out the hard way. Trial and error.
Me too.

Painted my boat with dark brown and then made stripes with a spray can in light colors. Its quick, easy, and cheap. Touch-up is easy too. Carry cans of flat camo paint in the boat because it wears off on the top edges from climbing in and out. I touch up once or twice a season.

If you want to impress people do it the hard way with stencils. If you just want to kill ducks...flat paint will do. Have killed hundreds of ducks out of an olive green boat. Mine still says on the title it's OD.
The bottom is OD.

My blind is old school camo and don't match the boat. (Gasp)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 am

Here's what the side looks like. MUD.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397569906489.jpg[/attachment]
aunt betty

Postby ea oneal » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am

this is what my tub looks like with pop off .if your putting blind on I think it will be more important than boatpaint
IMG-20140216-00715.jpg
if blind hangs over sides of boat some paint at water line is what you see,pant on the inside so you don't get busted by fly overs
ea oneal

Postby Olly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Always do your lightest colors first if a dark scale is what you want and dark colors first if you want a light scale. Camo 101.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 am

Went to the dark side of the force. Timber hunters are like Darth Vader.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Olly wrote:Always do your lightest colors first if a dark scale is what you want and dark colors first if you want a light scale. Camo 101.

Opposite of what I've found.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:50 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:Always do your lightest colors first if a dark scale is what you want and dark colors first if you want a light scale. Camo 101.

Opposite of what I've found.

I have no idea what he's trying to say there
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 pm

aunt betty wrote:Went to the dark side of the force. Timber hunters are like Darth Vader.

What do you know about Darth Vapor?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum