Jetjon build

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Jetjon build

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Kenny powers wishes he had a badass sled like this.

Just got home with the new boat
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Wait? You're already done?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 pm

14x48 monarch. Straight trade for an old canoe we never use. Not sure what happened with the weird color on pic

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411419013184.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411419026965.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Flightstopper wrote:14x48 monarch. Straight trade for an old canoe we never use. Not sure what happened with the weird color on pic

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411419013184.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411419026965.jpg[/attachment]

Nice! That's gonna be a sweet hull for that. Fast, but wide and stable.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Steele22 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Just curious, why a riveted boat instead of welded. Won't the extra seat be in the way also?
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Steele22 wrote:Just curious, why a riveted boat instead of welded. Won't the extra seat be in the way also?

I'd say price. Looks like this is all but free to him so far.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Nuff nailed it. The glass may battery is the most expensive thing I've bought yet. I don't need a boat I can beat up I just need to get through areas you can't with a prop. That and a jetjon is just plain badass.

The seat I'll pop the rivets off and add more structure when I build a back deck.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Nuff nailed it. The glass may battery is the most expensive thing I've bought yet. I don't need a boat I can beat up I just need to get through areas you can't with a prop. That and a jetjon is just plain badass.

The seat I'll pop the rivets off and add more structure when I build a back deck.

I'm excited to see how this turns out.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Steele22 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:36 pm

Sounds good, I agree those are the shit. I run the holston river a lot up here and it's 4-6 in deep in spots with solid rock shoals. Gets real damn hairy before daylight in cold ass water. People run jet outboards, go Devils with a rock guard or airboats. What you got would work as good if not better
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Nuff nailed it. The glass may battery is the most expensive thing I've bought yet. I don't need a boat I can beat up I just need to get through areas you can't with a prop. That and a jetjon is just plain badass.

After picking the boat up and seeing how stout it is I don't believe I can screw and glue the ski hull in it.....

Plans are gearing up to fab up an aluminum scoop and weld it all in. Makes for a much smaller hole in the hull and immensely cleaner build. Found a guy that did this and had 25 page thread on the build. Tons of excellent info.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Olly wrote:

After picking the boat up and seeing how stout it is I don't believe I can screw and glue the ski hull in it.....

Plans are gearing up to fab up an aluminum scoop and weld it all in. Makes for a much smaller hole in the hull and immensely cleaner build. Found a guy that did this and had 25 page thread on the build. Tons of excellent info.

Nice. I saw pics of one done like that. Looked like it was manufacture design. Should make for a lot better performance as well.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:41 pm

The build he did was a 16x44 with a 720 motor in it, 80 hp, and according to his Lowrance he hit 54. My motor is the 580 60 hp but has also lost some compression. Next year I will probably drop a different motor in just because I can.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Flightstopper wrote:The build he did was a 16x44 with a 720 motor in it, 80 hp, and according to his Lowrance he hit 54. My motor is the 580 60 hp but has also lost some compression. Next year I will probably drop a different motor in just because I can.

Still going to fucking haul. I can't wait to see this done.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:08 pm

If I see mid 20's I'll be extremely happy. Only hitting 36 on the ski I'm not expecting anything huge one in the boat.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Flightstopper wrote:If I see mid 20's I'll be extremely happy. Only hitting 36 on the ski I'm not expecting anything huge one in the boat.

You might just be surprised. :qh:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Project just got kicked in the ass. Wife came home asking about the boat and why we don't already have a welder. Fast forward about an hour and she cashed in some free points from her business card and a welder will be ordered when the gift cards show up. FREE WELDER!

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175 ... l-gun.html
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Jim could have gotten you a free welder.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm

This is free. She got a bunch of points for signing up for the card for spending so much for the first three months. Her company reimburses her for expenses on the card. Absolutely free!
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:32 am

Flightstopper wrote:This is free. She got a bunch of points for signing up for the card for spending so much for the first three months. Her company reimburses her for expenses on the card. Absolutely free!

I just heard a ghost talking about how you should have built your own :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 am

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:This is free. She got a bunch of points for signing up for the card for spending so much for the first three months. Her company reimburses her for expenses on the card. Absolutely free!

I just heard a ghost talking about how you should have built your own :lol:

:lol: Naw I have him beat by $37 on this one and comes with a spool gun :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:43 am

Do you know how to weld aluminum?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am

I've played a bit TIG'ing it when I was welding before. Was getting to the point of making some decent welds when I left. I'm not too worried.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 am

Flightstopper wrote:I've played a bit TIG'ing it when I was welding before. Was getting to the point of making some decent welds when I left. I'm not too worried.

Should be good. Just didn't know what you had for experience. From what I've heard aluminum is not the easiest thing to weld, and I know I wouldn't want a boat to be the first thing I learned on.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:I've played a bit TIG'ing it when I was welding before. Was getting to the point of making some decent welds when I left. I'm not too worried.

Should be good. Just didn't know what you had for experience. From what I've heard aluminum is not the easiest thing to weld, and I know I wouldn't want a boat to be the first thing I learned on.

I watched a guy weld aluminum with a plumbers torch and an aluminum rod once...
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I've done that too. I sure wouldn't trust that to hold much though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I wouldn't either. :lol: looked terrible.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:01 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I wouldn't either. :lol: looked terrible.

I was going to try and weld a leaky rivet in my boat like that. I tried welding 2 aluminum cans together and it held but burned holes through the cans and made it look like shit. So I kept it away from my boat.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:29 am

Guy I was watching was using 1/4" plate.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:42 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

That's different, that is low temp brazing. Works good to bond metal but fatigues and breaks under stress since it doesn't fuse the metal. Been reading about it for this.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Makes sense. TIGing is still on my list of things to learn.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum