Super toon build

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Super toon build

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 pm

Gonna throw all the pics and info from my 24' quad toon build in here.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Super toon build

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Started with a beater 24' toon that I picked up for $500. Bought 2 21' toons to add on underneath. And bought a 14' flatbed trailer to convert to a float on pontoon trailer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440551898.799492.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Gutted the toon down to the frames and got the extra toons bolted on.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440552026.133146.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440552035.233330.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Trailer all wired up and basic bunks bolted on to get the toon on it and fit it the rest of the way.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440552073.133214.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440552157.516418.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Got the outboard bolted on tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440636399.770074.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:19 pm

I want to see a video of you launching that thing. Are you worried about the over hang past the tires?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:55 pm

Olly wrote:I want to see a video of you launching that thing. Are you worried about the over hang past the tires?

It's going to be interesting to say the least. Still have some work to do on the trailer. Hoping it will be a bulletproof launch and load. All self centering with lots of guidepoles.
What do you mean by overhang?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:57 pm

I mean the length of the trailer past the rear wheels. Boat trailers all have the rear wheels pushed further back so when you're going down the ramp the angles work out better.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Olly wrote:I mean the length of the trailer past the rear wheels. Boat trailers all have the rear wheels pushed further back so when you're going down the ramp the angles work out better.

gotcha. I actually think this will work out better. Should be able to get the back end deeper and not have to worry about falling off the cement at the ramps. Which is bad news. May have tongue weight issues though. It's pretty light as it sits now. Hopefully blind will get some weight back up front.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Got a good start on the paint today. Everything is starting to come together
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:59 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440712751.966328.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 am

Ridiculous, lol
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Ajverret » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:01 am

Ive always wanted to build one of these
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Slacked a little through goose season, but got back after it this weekend. Season opens on Oct 10 so it's crunch time now.
But got the decks and counsel on today. Hope to have it a fully functioning toon by the end of the day tomorrow. Then build the blind this conning week so I can put final touches and brush the following week along with getting decoys out and ready. Gonna be a busy couple of weeks coming up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443309244.072368.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:03 am

Have you seen the images floating around Facebook that some guide is super proud of his new 6 man layout boat? It's a pontoon with instead of a deck on top the toons, there is a pit blind almost. Ends up looking like a sink box that is floating on pontoons. Anyways, it's not a horrible idea, but it cracks me up that the guide is praising that it's "only 29 inches above the waterline!" Hey dude, that's 2 and a half feet.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 am

Goldfish wrote:Have you seen the images floating around Facebook that some guide is super proud of his new 6 man layout boat? It's a pontoon with instead of a deck on top the toons, there is a pit blind almost. Ends up looking like a sink box that is floating on pontoons. Anyways, it's not a horrible idea, but it cracks me up that the guide is praising that it's "only 29 inches above the waterline!" Hey dude, that's 2 and a half feet.

I had him beat.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=360
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:55 am

Goldfish wrote:Have you seen the images floating around Facebook that some guide is super proud of his new 6 man layout boat? It's a pontoon with instead of a deck on top the toons, there is a pit blind almost. Ends up looking like a sink box that is floating on pontoons. Anyways, it's not a horrible idea, but it cracks me up that the guide is praising that it's "only 29 inches above the waterline!" Hey dude, that's 2 and a half feet.

Yeah I saw it. I actually thought about just leaving it a flat deck and brushing it up with spots to set up layout blinds. But not everyone has a layout that I hunt with so that would limit some people. And for all day sits a full hard side blind will be nice and warm.
And like you said...my profile would still be around 3' above the waterline. With a hard side blind will be less than 6' and if birds are going to flare off that I doubt being 3 foot lower would make much difference.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:47 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Yeah I saw it. I actually thought about just leaving it a flat deck and brushing it up with spots to set up layout blinds. But not everyone has a layout that I hunt with so that would limit some people. And for all day sits a full hard side blind will be nice and warm.
And like you said...my profile would still be around 3' above the waterline. With a hard side blind will be less than 6' and if birds are going to flare off that I doubt being 3 foot lower would make much difference.

A flat deck on a boat with no sides doesn't sound too safe to me. Just an observation.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

A flat deck on a boat with no sides doesn't sound too safe to me. Just an observation.

That was another thing. Unsafe and a pain in the ass hauling gear. I think I'll like the hard side a lot. Probably be a pain in a 20-30mph crosswind but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Plus without sides all the gear nuff carries that's is about to increase exponentially would fall overboard....
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:17 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Plus without sides all the gear nuff carries that's is about to increase exponentially would fall overboard....

It would be cool if he build down in between the tunes. Seating and a drivers compartment then used lay out blinds on the flat surface....
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:11 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Plus without sides all the gear nuff carries that's is about to increase exponentially would fall overboard....

Haha. You know me too well
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Olly wrote:

It would be cool if he build down in between the tunes. Seating and a drivers compartment then used lay out blinds on the flat surface....

Problem is I only have 18" between the toons or that would be a cool setup.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Put her in the water for the first time today. Trailer worked really well and it drafted just under 4". That's just a deck and motor. The weather was too nasty to head out to the water so still don't know about handling or speed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443656165.367133.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Steele22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Lookin good but what the hell is on your truck?
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:02 pm

His badass paint job? You probably don't understand as cars only came in black when you were a boy.,,
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Steele22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 pm

lol. Pretty witty tonight huh
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 pm

I try to stay that way.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum