Whats on everyones lanyards this year?

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Whats on everyones lanyards this year?

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:21 pm

assateague wrote:This is probably one too many.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377529294.818160.jpg

Not much point in carrying that whistle, is there?
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:1. Ar cut Black Monster and La cut BSOD
2. Vox Mortems

May rotate in my DC Mondo
cutdown guy now?

Don't exactly want to be a RNT guy now do I? In all honesty after using the VMs I was pretty much sold. I'll still keep my current J Frames but I got sucked into the cutdown cult. Bought two more cutdowns this morning.

Be interesting to see if that conversion weathers a season.

(Two seasons in, I'm still carrying one, but it's not made it beyond special teams status. 'Course that may not be the call's fault.)
Last edited by Rick on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Gives me a chance to go "bang, bang, bang", that's about it. They call them "calls", dammit, not "guarantors".
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Rick wrote:Naturally, since they've finally given us a full season on our little Richardsons, they pretty much quit showing up and negated the need for any Canada call. But, by golly, I'm ready for them if and when...
What do those richardsons sound like Rick? A regular Canada call will suffice?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Rick wrote:Naturally, since they've finally given us a full season on our little Richardsons, they pretty much quit showing up and negated the need for any Canada call. But, by golly, I'm ready for them if and when...

Yea, they're higher pitched but have no prob droppin in to any Canada call.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Rick wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
2. Vox Mortems

cutdown guy now?

Don't exactly want to be a RNT guy now do I? In all honesty after using the VMs I was pretty much sold. I'll still keep my current J Frames but I got sucked into the cutdown cult. Bought two more cutdowns this morning.

(Two seasons in, I'm still carrying one, but it's not made it beyond special teams status. 'Course that may not be the call's fault.)

Definitely will be interesting. Don't know how the birds will react where I hunted last year since it is open water and ponds. From what I hear they are quite effective in the timber so if I hunt in Arkansas this year they should work nicely.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:23 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

We've had more limited seasons on them for some time, and I just tortured a speck call to sound like a Canada for the first however many of them. I've read they're tougher to toll than bigger Canadas in some areas, but they're certainly our easiest goose down here - if they're here...
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1377549566322.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Rick wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

We've had more limited seasons on them for some time, and I just tortured a speck call to sound like a Canada for the first however many of them. I've read they're tougher to toll than bigger Canadas in some areas, but they're certainly our easiest goose down here - if they're here...

Most richardsons here are migrators just arriving when we shoot them, they tend to work well. The few that stick around with the giant Canadas can be more difficult. Giant Canadas when first arriving are by far the easiest to decoy.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Rick wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

same here as far as easiness but for big canadas. Don't see many lessers or cacklers in my part. Only the last few seasons have the canadas started showing up in consistently big numbers. Hell even more of em than there are specks and snows up there.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
2. Vox Mortems

cutdown guy now?

Definitely will be interesting. Don't know how the birds will react where I hunted last year since it is open water and ponds. From what I hear they are quite effective in the timber so if I hunt in Arkansas this year they should work nicely.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
pretty sure they'd work great in open water. This being my first full season using cutdowns, I'm curious how call shy birds will respond. My apologies for sending you that bm to try, looks like it may have sparked something!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm

rebelp74 wrote:pretty sure they'd work great in open water. This being my first full season using cutdowns, I'm curious how call shy birds will respond. My apologies for sending you that bm to try, looks like it may have sparked something!

Damn right you did. But even at $100-150 a piece they are still cheaper than RNTs are getting to be. To be honest I always like deeper raspier calls to begin with, cutdowns fit that bill better than my old calls did.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:pretty sure they'd work great in open water. This being my first full season using cutdowns, I'm curious how call shy birds will respond. My apologies for sending you that bm to try, looks like it may have sparked something!

Damn right you did. But even at $100-150 a piece they are still cheaper than RNTs are getting to be. To be honest I always like deeper raspier calls to begin with, cutdowns fit that bill better than my old calls did.
rnts are becoming a joke. Squeaky, whiney, too full of hold and the designs are getting ridiculous. The thing I like most about tge cutdowns is lack of hold.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:53 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

rnts are becoming a joke. Squeaky, whiney, too full of hold and the designs are getting ridiculous. The thing I like most about tge cutdowns is lack of hold.

I can run one of those squealy sumbitches worth a damn. I have been giving my opinion about them over on DHC and I think I am about to be blackballed. Those guys over there love the new calls. Lungless bastards couldn't run a real call if you stuck one in front of them I bet.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Damn youngsters, they fucked up everything they touch!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:36 pm

You know the drill, Francis.
Rick

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377525030.281631.jpg

White trash lanyard

Whats the little green one and the black one under the DC?
the green one is called an illusion I think, same make as the bigger goose call of the same shape, cheap but sounds real good quiet, double read I think. The black one is a power hen I think, hate that piece of shit, always sticking, sounds cheap dont know why it's still there
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:You guys inspired me to take some pictures.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377475867.799517.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377475882.899661.jpg

A Canuckite.

I do like the calls.
That bocote call has a set of OTE guts in it and has the widest power band of any goose call I've laid hands on. I've laid off to try your darling XXX, but other concerns have prevented that thus far.

I have an acrylic Canuck (that I tried OTEs in but went back to the Edges) and was on the list for a bocote one, but by the time they called about having made a run of them, I'd already decided I preferred the XXX. Not quite as much crack to either my hedge or ABW XXX as the Canuck, but they're quicker and more fun (read: "easier") for this meatball Canada caller to run.

Naturally, since they've finally given us a full season on our little Richardsons, they pretty much quit showing up and negated the need for any Canada call. But, by golly, I'm ready for them if and when...
I pretty much hunt honkers exclusively, and find the OTEs big bottom end to compliment the mellow wood sound nicely. It doesn't have near the crack that the acrylic with edges does, but still gets plenty loud and fast for one call to do it all. Both Canucks will share the lanyard in the early season, and hopefully I can do some experimenting with tones and pitches.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

TNAL45 wrote:Both Canucks will share the lanyard in the early season, and hopefully I can do some experimenting with tones and pitches.

Hope to do something similar here. Having convinced myself that high pitch is where it's at for our little birds, that's how I've tuned everything. But my ABW call came with what Mark feels best for little geese and surprised me with how low that is. So I left it where he set it and hope to get to do some side by side testing between it my preferred tuning on its hedge twin.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:Both Canucks will share the lanyard in the early season, and hopefully I can do some experimenting with tones and pitches.

Hope to do something similar here. Having convinced myself that high pitch is where it's at for our little birds, that's how I've tuned everything. But my ABW call came with what Mark feels best for little geese and surprised me with how low that is. So I left it where he set it and hope to get to do some side by side testing between it my preferred tuning on its hedge twin.

Rick and TNAL sound like they have PhDs in calling. I understand about a third of what they are saying. I am still bringing my shitty calls on the excellent lanyard TNAL made for me to the WCH.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:You guys inspired me to take some pictures.

A Canuckite.

I do like the calls.
That bocote call has a set of OTE guts in it and has the widest power band of any goose call I've laid hands on. I've laid off to try your darling XXX, but other concerns have prevented that thus far.

I have an acrylic Canuck (that I tried OTEs in but went back to the Edges) and was on the list for a bocote one, but by the time they called about having made a run of them, I'd already decided I preferred the XXX. Not quite as much crack to either my hedge or ABW XXX as the Canuck, but they're quicker and more fun (read: "easier") for this meatball Canada caller to run.

Naturally, since they've finally given us a full season on our little Richardsons, they pretty much quit showing up and negated the need for any Canada call. But, by golly, I'm ready for them if and when...
I pretty much hunt honkers exclusively, and find the OTEs big bottom end to compliment the mellow wood sound nicely. It doesn't have near the crack that the acrylic with edges does, but still gets plenty loud and fast for one call to do it all. Both Canucks will share the lanyard in the early season, and hopefully I can do some experimenting with tones and pitches.
If I were hunting honkers exclusively, I wouldn't leave without a Saunders Traffic and Bay Country Shore Thing. The traffic is imho the best of the higher pitched short calls. If you like a canuck, you'd absolutely love a traffic. Probably the same with the XXX.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

Rick and TNAL sound like they have PhDs in calling. I understand about a third of what they are saying. I am still bringing my shitty calls on the excellent lanyard TNAL made for me to the WCH.

Rick might have his PHD, but I'm still a high school kid tinkering in the machine shop. I am glad you are enjoying your lanyard though!
TNAL45

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

Rick might have his PHD, but I'm still a high school kid tinkering in the machine shop. I am glad you are enjoying your lanyard though!

You making it out there or did Red tell you to pound sand?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:[quote="TNAL45"]You guys inspired me to take some pictures.

A Canuckite.

I do like the calls.

If I were hunting honkers exclusively, I wouldn't leave without a Saunders Traffic and Bay Country Shore Thing. The traffic is imho the best of the higher pitched short calls. If you like a canuck, you'd absolutely love a traffic. Probably the same with the XXX.[/quote]
You aren't the first person to suggest a traffic for a higher pitched, fast call. What I fell in love with about the Canuck was how bloody versatile it is. It's a call that really can handle a lot of different guts and set ups and sound great with all of them. Quacknstack brought one by this summer, and I decided I had to have one. What I wasn't planning on was it replacing all my big honker calls. I've tinkered with it on some passing flocks this summer and have been very pleased with it.

The GK Serial Killer is next on my list to try, followed by the XXX, but the traffic isn't far off my radar.
TNAL45

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 pm

AKPirate wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

You making it out there or did Red tell you to pound sand?
I just couldn't bring myself to ask for an invitation where none was extended to me. I'd love to be there of course, but it might not be in the cards even if I were invited.
TNAL45

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:[quote="Rick"][quote="TNAL45"]You guys inspired me to take some pictures.

A Canuckite.

I do like the calls.

If I were hunting honkers exclusively, I wouldn't leave without a Saunders Traffic and Bay Country Shore Thing. The traffic is imho the best of the higher pitched short calls. If you like a canuck, you'd absolutely love a traffic. Probably the same with the XXX.[/quote]
You aren't the first person to suggest a traffic for a higher pitched, fast call. What I fell in love with about the Canuck was how bloody versatile it is. It's a call that really can handle a lot of different guts and set ups and sound great with all of them. Quacknstack brought one by this summer, and I decided I had to have one. What I wasn't planning on was it replacing all my big honker calls. I've tinkered with it on some passing flocks this summer and have been very pleased with it.

The GK Serial Killer is next on my list to try, followed by the XXX, but the traffic isn't far off my radar.[/quote]for a serial killer, just stick a lg insert in the canuck barrel. Literally that's all it is. I don't remember exactly but it was either PEI Winglocker or Randy Thomas on the fuge that started it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:59 pm

[/quote]I just couldn't bring myself to ask for an invitation where none was extended to me. I'd love to be there of course, but it might not be in the cards even if I were invited.[/quote]

Red said your an idiot because of course your invited
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:01 am

rebelp74 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:I pretty much hunt honkers exclusively, and find the OTEs big bottom end to compliment the mellow wood sound nicely. It doesn't have near the crack that the acrylic with edges does, but still gets plenty loud and fast for one call to do it all. Both Canucks will share the lanyard in the early season, and hopefully I can do some experimenting with tones and pitches.
If I were hunting honkers exclusively, I wouldn't leave without a Saunders Traffic and Bay Country Shore Thing. The traffic is imho the best of the higher pitched short calls. If you like a canuck, you'd absolutely love a traffic. Probably the same with the XXX.

Know many think them the gold standard, but I just let my Traffic go to a fellow looking for the original version I had with a straight-sided insert. Liked the tone alright but not the handling and preferred the Canuck. Different strokes and all that there.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 am

TNAL45 wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

I'm fat headed enough to think I do, in fact, have a PhD in calling ducks and at least a masters in calling specks, but we just don't see enough Canadas here to learn much about pushing the buttons of the stubborn ones, which are much father and fewer between. When I was in a position to hunt Canadas pretty much daily, we were still using long reeded calls - except for the morning I won a bet calling our limits (albeit 2 per) with a 25-cent garage sale bicycle horn. Flutes were the coming thing then, but my Canada call experience bypassed them entirely, and your "tinkering" would be a fair description of my experience with short reeds. No question I've tolled far more specks and blues to their demise with short reed Canada calls than Canadas.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 am

Rick wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:

I'm fat headed enough to think I do, in fact, have a PhD in calling ducks and at least a masters in calling specks, but we just don't see enough Canadas here to learn much about pushing the buttons of the stubborn ones, which are much father and fewer between. When I was in a position to hunt Canadas pretty much daily, we were still using long reeded calls - except for the morning I won a bet calling our limits (albeit 2 per) with a 25-cent garage sale bicycle horn. Flutes were the coming thing then, but my Canada call experience bypassed them entirely, and your "tinkering" would be a fair description of my experience with short reeds. No question I've tolled far more specks and blues to their demise with short reed Canada calls than Canadas.

Bicycle horn :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: Another treasure story from you Rick. Always enjoy them.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Call Forum