One last bird whistle?

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

One last bird whistle?

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Just ordered what may prove my last call purchase. (Actually sent a hedge Microhen insert to RNT for fitting with an ivory Old Style barrel that may arrive here later, but it's been there a while.) May have finally gotten over a decades long case of magic flute syndrome and feel like I've got about all of my calling bases covered as well as can be. With the lone exception being the whistling tree ducks: black-bellied and fulvous. Already have something they eat up, but it lacks the volume to reach out and pull them any real distance.

To that end, I've been fooling with a plastic Acme herding dog whistle that's loud and closer to the correct tones than whistles made for other whistling species - and, more to the point, has shown real promise on game. But it's tone is too, well, plastic-like to suit me, so I've ordered a stainless steel Montana Lite I hope to get spot on with. (Ironically, one apparently has to go through a shop in Great Brittan to buy a whistle made in Montana.)

If the dang thing does what I think it will, I may just have to find something else to obsess over. I'll be lost.
Rick

Re: One last bird whistle?

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Well, content for this season of course :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Or content until the part of it when I think too many birds are blowing me off...

Really do feel like my call bases are about as well covered as can be, but I doubt I'll ever feel that way about the calling part. Not as long as there's even one bird within hearing that flips me the middle primary.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Should have had RMFC go pick you one up from the factory.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 pm

" With the lone exception being the whistling tree ducks: black-bellied and fulvous."
Did not realize there were two species Rick :shock: Used to see a bunch of them in Pascagoula, MS when working at Chevron, but have never seen on in AL.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm surprised you're not seeing blackbellies. We've always had the fulvous, but I can remember when our local NWR's manager was excited about having their first pair of BBs, which have now spread east along the coast all the way to Virginia. Goofy looking but great eating ducks.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Due to an miscue on my part I had to reorder the Montana Lite whistle, but it arrived today, and I predict a sharp uptick in tree duck tolling percentages. Kind of a pain to get underway on a herding dog whistle, but the tone and extended range should be worth it.
Rick

Postby Duckdog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Rick, believe it or not, I saw a BB in Missouri this year! North Missouri at that!
And, honestly, if it weren't for you, I would have had NO idea what in the hell it was! :D

Obviously, it's not a duck we have up here, but while reading some of your posts around that time frame, and you mentioning tree ducks, I did a quick search just to see what they look like.

And then just a few days later, we had one right over the decoys! The 3 of us just kinda looked at each other and said, "WTF was that?"...And then it hit me...Tree duck.
I pulled up a pic on my phone for the other 2 guys, and then it did another fly by for confirmation.
Duckdog

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 am

Should have shot and eaten it for confirmation. Best of the bunch.

We didn't have the BBs until relatively recently, but they've spread like wildfire here, across the Gulf Coast and up the Atlantic at least as far as VA, I've heard. So don't be too surprised if they catch on in your area, too. They're not afraid of the cold:
Rick

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Rick, I know that that they have pictures of a couple of black bellied ducks at the Mackay Island NWR. I was flipping through a photo album in the refuge office and noticed the pics and asked a staff member about it. She said they were taken in September of 2012 I think. The majority of the refuge is in NC but a small portion extends into VA so some have definitely made it that far.
Bufflehead

Return to Duck Call Forum