New to duck hunting.

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

New to duck hunting.

Postby SethChester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Alright, so first I've hunted whitetail, turkey, and small game for years. I want to try duck hunting because it looks pretty fun and I love being out on the water. So I was wondering what's the "best" duck call for beginners? And while I'm at it, I need to get to identify waterfowl better.. so if anyone has a picture chart or anything that'd be great.

Thank you
- Seth
If it flies it dies, if it hops it drops.
SethChester

Re: New to duck hunting.

Postby Bad17 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 pm

DU has a great app to help you with ID. As for duck calls it is whatever blows best for you. I like Carlson and Buck Gardner. But that's me. Others will have their own favorites. But like I said it's what works best for you. Try them all out and see what one you like.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Diamondwood poly Echo, Quackhead J-Frame, or Haydel's DR 85
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 am

Also for waterfowl ID LeMaster has a book called waterfowl identification guide. It's pretty good too. Delta waterfowl also has some online quizzes and stuff to help with ID as well.
Bad17

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Just curious, what made you decide to try waterfowl?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby SethChester » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 am

Goldfish wrote:Just curious, what made you decide to try waterfowl?

It looks like a pretty challenging and fun sport. I like all types of hunting. :duck:
SethChester

Postby SethChester » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:12 am

Bad17 wrote:Also for waterfowl ID LeMaster has a book called waterfowl identification guide. It's pretty good too. Delta waterfowl also has some online quizzes and stuff to help with ID as well.

Thank you, very much.
SethChester

Postby Bad17 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:30 am

SethChester wrote:
Bad17 wrote:Also for waterfowl ID LeMaster has a book called waterfowl identification guide. It's pretty good too. Delta waterfowl also has some online quizzes and stuff to help with ID as well.

Thank you, very much.

You're welcome
Bad17

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm right there with you, just started duck huntin last year. Still learning all the different ducks and how to call them. Good luck
Capttrae

Postby Xforcematt » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:44 am

I also use the DU app to identify ducks. Duck calls can be a hard thing to figure out. I have only been hunting for a few years and I use a buck Gardner double nasty(about 30$)and the 6 in one whistle usually a green colored call from academy. (15-20$)These 2 will get most duck sounds for getting started. I have tried some of the duck commander ones as well. They seem to work good too. I am not a good enough caller to buy the nice RNT or Zink calls yet. But PRACTICE Practice and practice more. I watch YouTube stuff and listen to guys on tv all the time. You don't just blow a duck call it takes sound and air control.
Keep your face and head covered and keep still when the ducks start coming in. And don't be afraid to just be quiet. A lot of times it just takes a little calling and then be quiet and they will decoy right to you. It is something that just takes time to learn and master. Ducks are very smart and have excellent eyesight. They will spot your movement.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Xforcematt

Postby SethChester » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Xforcematt wrote:I also use the DU app to identify ducks. Duck calls can be a hard thing to figure out. I have only been hunting for a few years and I use a buck Gardner double nasty(about 30$)and the 6 in one whistle usually a green colored call from academy. (15-20$)These 2 will get most duck sounds for getting started. I have tried some of the duck commander ones as well. They seem to work good too. I am not a good enough caller to buy the nice RNT or Zink calls yet. But PRACTICE Practice and practice more. I watch YouTube stuff and listen to guys on tv all the time. You don't just blow a duck call it takes sound and air control.
Keep your face and head covered and keep still when the ducks start coming in. And don't be afraid to just be quiet. A lot of times it just takes a little calling and then be quiet and they will decoy right to you. It is something that just takes time to learn and master. Ducks are very smart and have excellent eyesight. They will spot your movement.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Thank you! I've been watching youtube videos to!
SethChester

Return to Duck Call Forum