The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:17 am

We too often put four guys and a dog in a 16hp, 16' GoDevil, and I suppose there's a message in what the addition of even a mess of teal means to our progress on the way out. (Don't try this at home, kids, we're only traversing boat runs where "big" seas might run 6".)
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 am

Saturday I went out to do the final physical labor on getting our blind ready. There were a couple trees to the east that needed to be taken down. One was a fairly large willow with several large limbs going out in all directions. These trees are in the middle of a brush jungle, you need to cut your way into them and clear enough around them to be able to safely cut them down and move a little if the don't go down exactly the way you expect. There is no running to get clear. So I start cutting the first large limb leaning to the east. It's just about ready to go and a huge gust from the east takes the limb and pushes it straight back at me. :shock:

I'm now standing on the other side of the trunk using it like a shield trying to figure out if I'm going to have to dodge left or right. Feeling a bit scared and very stupid at the same time :oops:

It seemed like the gust was never going to stop. Finally, the gust died down, the limb relax and was leaning away from me. I got the hell out of their went and cut the other and hoped it would be down when I came back, which thankfully it was and I finished cutting the other limbs. Definitely looks much better now for the ducks to be able to circle the decoys and not have to go over or around the trees.

SpinnerMan

Postby Woody » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 am

i wasn't really paying attention to the background of that picture as started reading your post and had assumed that you found an anti hunter dressed like that at your club causing trouble.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Leaving for my UP trip a day early! 9 days!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:40 am

I got what is hopefully just my first deer of the season yesterday.

Yearling doe roadkill :shock:

Hey, it's about 15 lbs of lean meat in the fridge that will be hamburg and bologna by tonight.

A buddy of mine that just started hunting a couple of years ago saw it. Sent me a text. I asked if he was going to take it home and butcher it. He said, yeah, but needed a little help since he had never dressed a deer. He was telling me how big it was. They almost don't get any smaller than that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was not prepared to butcher a deer. I showed him how to field dress it. Then I said we can skin it here or take it home and then ... He was just staring at it, like I have no fucking clue what to do with this thing that is way bigger than a goose. Then he said do you want it :( I could tell he realized he was in over his head. So I took it home and cut it up. It was busted up pretty bad, but like I said I got about 15 lbs of good meat off of it. I'll give him a few pounds of burgers and bologna.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:14 am

Nothing like free meat. Unfortunately the great state of Texas looks down upon those who want to pick up road kill...
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:01 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Nothing like free meat. Unfortunately the great state of Texas looks down upon those who want to pick up road kill...

As the people that are dependent on stores for EVERYTHING grow in numbers more and more states and cities will start to pass laws against it. I've only taken home one road kill animal, a deer and I didn't even hit it but I was there when it happened so I could guarantee it's freshness. As long as I can do that I would always take it home and use it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Actually, I doubt the laws against it will grow. People don't like to see dead animals on the side of the road, so allowing people to pick them up gets them off the street quicker.

We just got a letter about our trash pick up. I'm probably one of 3 people that read it. It surprised me, but part of the contract with the city to pick up trash, they are also required to pick up road kill as they go about their routes. I just thought that was kind of interesting.

Illinois law is kind of odd. You can literally stop and cut the head off a road killed buck and leave the rest.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:04 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Actually, I doubt the laws against it will grow. People don't like to see dead animals on the side of the road, so allowing people to pick them up gets them off the street quicker.

We just got a letter about our trash pick up. I'm probably one of 3 people that read it. It surprised me, but part of the contract with the city to pick up trash, they are also required to pick up road kill as they go about their routes. I just thought that was kind of interesting.

Illinois law is kind of odd. You can literally stop and cut the head off a road killed buck and leave the rest.

In Texas the only way to take a road kill deer is to tag it. Can't touch anything. Think it's a poaching ticket if you take the antlers off a buck.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:14 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Actually, I doubt the laws against it will grow. People don't like to see dead animals on the side of the road, so allowing people to pick them up gets them off the street quicker.

In Texas the only way to take a road kill deer is to tag it. Can't touch anything. Think it's a poaching ticket if you take the antlers off a buck.

The only thing we have to do is call or go on line and report it within 24 hours. If we want to take it to the taxidermist, they will even send us a tag for it.

Non-residents and those that have lost their hunting/fishing privileges cannot pick them up either.
SpinnerMan

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Sleeping in the tooner tonight. This thing is pretty badass
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:42 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Sleeping in the tooner tonight. This thing is pretty badass

Did you ever post a finished pic?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Woody wrote:

Yea last I saw it had no walls!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Olly wrote:
Woody wrote:

Yea last I saw it had no walls!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444507581.249238.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:07 pm

I'll update my thread when I get a chance. Just been balls to the walls trying to get it done the last 2 weeks.
Still not finished and needs a few tweeks after it's maiden voyage. But all in all it went good
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:59 pm

That'll work.
Woody

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I'll update my thread when I get a chance. Just been balls to the walls trying to get it done the last 2 weeks.
Still not finished and needs a few tweeks after it's maiden voyage. But all in all it went good

You suck a build threads but looks like you did alright with that tooner. If you come to the UP you should bring that beast!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I'll update my thread when I get a chance. Just been balls to the walls trying to get it done the last 2 weeks.

You suck a build threads but looks like you did alright with that tooner. If you come to the UP you should bring that beast!

Agreed, but I think he needs a bigger motor if he is going to play out on big boy waters.
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Olly wrote:

Haha. I've just been crazy busy. Gettin outa work at 4 then working on toon till 10 or 11 then back to work at 6. Pretty happy with the way it turned out
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:

Agreed, but I think he needs a bigger motor if he is going to play out on big boy waters.

That 40 is all that transom can handle without some serious work. Wich isn't that big if a deal. Just can't afford a bigger outboard right now. I'd do alright on big water with that setup as long as the weather is right. Just have to be smart about it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:55 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:

That 40 is all that transom can handle without some serious work. Wich isn't that big if a deal. Just can't afford a bigger outboard right now. I'd do alright on big water with that setup as long as the weather is right. Just have to be smart about it.

You can be as smart as you want, but the weatherman is wrong sometimes and if you venture out there enough times with a small motor probabilities will catch up with you.
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:43 am

I'd never go more than a couple miles from the nearest launch. I know the power of the Great Lakes and I know to respect it. I got into some sketchy stuff last year in a 1442 in late November that really scared me and I'll never push it like that again.
Had a 40+ sustained south wind. I thought I could make it out the mouth if the sag river to the south edge of the bay where it was calm. But as I tried crossing the river the wind took the bow and I took on a pretty good wave which were close to 3' in the middle. I turned right around and had to head into the wind to get back and couldn't even get on plane luckily I make it back safe and sound, but really got the adrenaline pumping.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 am

Do we have a TK2 now?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:43 am

Goldfish wrote:Do we have a TK2 now?

What?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:02 am

20151010_085955.jpg
WisconsinWaterfowler

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 am

20151009_175122.jpg
WisconsinWaterfowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Took the toon about 2.5 miles from the launch today with a 15mph sustained wind and 25mph gusts. Amazing how we'll it still tracked and handled even at a direct cross wind. I have to play around with the weight distribution because with the blind all the way to the front and 1-2 foot waves it was nose diving pretty hard when I'd throttle up.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:30 pm

My buddy's girlfriend took this pic this morning. Turned out to be a decent hunt for the 2nd day of the season with summer like weather.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444588117.136402.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Glad to see the tooner working out!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:28 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Don't tag it. You will loose your tag and your deer because it was not killed by a lawful means. No where in the regs does it say Chevy pickup truck. That's straight from the game warden.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind