Taxidermy mistakes

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Taxidermy mistakes

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 am

Have taken a few ducks to get worked on. The first experience I had was "ok".
The guy was fast. Turned it around in less than 3 months so I brought him two more.
That...was a mistake.

A year later, just a week before Christmas I got a letter from my guy. Said I needed to pick up my ducks, do it now or he's selling them? I literally jump in the truck minutes after getting his letter.
I raced to his shop. He was sorry but had already sold my ducks to Cabelas he said. I'd paid half in advance so he owes me at least one mounted duck. They both had bands.

Now...is that even legal?
He SOLD my ducks.

If this story is true I have a federal case on a taxidermist and cabelas outfitters.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Taxidermy mistakes

Postby Duplex Lover » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:02 pm

A number of years ago My boy was a guide in AK.
On his last year there he wanted to shoot a "BIG" black bear.
SO He did it was a monster, AND he shot it with his 12 gauge shot gun, yes on purpose.
Anyway he found a" respited taxidermist" paid a large deposit and moved home. A year later still no word, He started to look in to it and found out the "Respited taxidermist" had slipped the country with around 50 other hunters deposit and hides!!!
He was never found ,$$$$ lost and trophy mount gone !
:evil:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Duplex Lover wrote:A number of years ago My boy was a guide in AK.
On his last year there he wanted to shoot a "BIG" black bear.
SO He did it was a monster, AND he shot it with his 12 gauge shot gun, yes on purpose.
Anyway he found a" respited taxidermist" paid a large deposit and moved home. A year later still no word, He started to look in to it and found out the "Respited taxidermist" had slipped the country with around 50 other hunters deposit and hides!!!
He was never found ,$$$$ lost and trophy mount gone !
:evil:

Oh
My
God

Buddy, send me the name of this guy and where he is from. I think maybe we ran into the same bad taxidermist. The guy I used was BIG into guiding bear hunts in Alaska and was actually very good at his trade. I saw bears in his shop.
He had everything and it's why I selected him in the first place.
Turns out he was buried deep in fur year round (I think) and really didn't want to do fish or birds.

Fooseland, Illinois sound familiar at all?
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Pretty sure you can buy taxidermy from cabelas. I know I've seen some taxidermy shops selling mounts online. Can't remember how they did it but it said it was all legit c
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:21 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Pretty sure you can buy taxidermy from cabelas. I know I've seen some taxidermy shops selling mounts online. Can't remember how they did it but it said it was all legit c

"Wild birds can not be sold, even as taxidermy".
Source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

http://www.fws.gov/pacific/migratorybir ... mists.html

Those birds in Cabelas...the lamps and stuff they sell. All pen-raised or not legal.
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:14 pm

aunt betty wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Pretty sure you can buy taxidermy from cabelas. I know I've seen some taxidermy shops selling mounts online. Can't remember how they did it but it said it was all legit c

"Wild birds can not be sold, even as taxidermy".
Source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

http://www.fws.gov/pacific/migratorybir ... mists.html

Those birds in Cabelas...the lamps and stuff they sell. All pen-raised or not legal.

Pen raised may have been the explanation.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Back to the taxidermist selling my ducks...if I had a brain I'd have called IDNR that day and said figure this out. It was yrs ago but still stings.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Here's the guy.

Sangamon River Taxidermy
305 5th Street
Fooseland, Illinois 61845

Could be it's old and gone. The guy was pretty old and like I said, it was years ago.
Don't use him.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:38 pm

My Dad's cousin shot a monster black bear in Maine. The outfitter was convinced if they could get it out in one piece it would have been the heaviest ever taken in the state. They were so far in the middle of nowhere, it would have taken a helicopter to get it out. The guide was all for that, if my Dad's cousin would pay :lol: Yeah, not going to happen. Ridiculous expense to boost the guide's sales.

Anyhow, they took the head, hide, and as much meat as they could carry and hauled it out. He decided to get a full body mount. When he got it back, the bear had gone on a diet. Apparently, the taxidermist just got the biggest black bear form available and cut the hide down to fit it. Ouch.
SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:30 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:My Dad's cousin shot a monster black bear in Maine. The outfitter was convinced if they could get it out in one piece it would have been the heaviest ever taken in the state. They were so far in the middle of nowhere, it would have taken a helicopter to get it out. The guide was all for that, if my Dad's cousin would pay :lol: Yeah, not going to happen. Ridiculous expense to boost the guide's sales.

Anyhow, they took the head, hide, and as much meat as they could carry and hauled it out. He decided to get a full body mount. When he got it back, the bear had gone on a diet. Apparently, the taxidermist just got the biggest black bear form available and cut the hide down to fit it. Ouch.

I hope he didn't pay a cent.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:01 am

Olly wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:My Dad's cousin shot a monster black bear in Maine. The outfitter was convinced if they could get it out in one piece it would have been the heaviest ever taken in the state. They were so far in the middle of nowhere, it would have taken a helicopter to get it out. The guide was all for that, if my Dad's cousin would pay :lol: Yeah, not going to happen. Ridiculous expense to boost the guide's sales.

I hope he didn't pay a cent.

I don't know what he did, but I agree.
SpinnerMan

Return to The Blind