The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:11 pm

team216 wrote:
Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
team216 wrote:Well I got my grass swatch from j stern. I think it's easy for my girlfriend to pick where to eat for dinner than it is for me to pick colors. And then how much of each color.
I'm sitting on the roof at work looking at one of the spots I hunt.

Pick 3 different colors and then it'll blend into everything.

Or stand out everywhere. One or the other. No big deal tho lol

I'm in the camouflage for ducks is more about staying totally still than blending in camp. I've had ducks land in the decoys when I was standing up bored in the boat blind but just being very still.

Good point, I think what was holding me up was the change in seasons. Going from 85 degrees everything's green and lively to finishing at usually single digit Temps and everything I dead and depressing. I guess I wasn't so much hung up on color but how many pounds of each.
I ended up going with colors that will blend a decent everywhere. Now to get to work on the blind.

Make it two sided. Green on one side, brown on the other
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Olly wrote:I love trashy girls.

That's actually all family. Haha. That was at the little lake our cabin is on the day after torch lake. Torch was pretty dead this year actually.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:00 am

Been taking honey out of hives and got this far then ran out of labels.
Still got a few hundred pounds more to go.
13585068_288253841527484_3527170627748659127_o.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:30 pm

AB, curious why some of the honey is darker than others. Is it the source of the pollen that makes a difference, or am I seeing the plastic bears bottles with comb that is just making it appear lighter?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Deltaman wrote:AB, curious why some of the honey is darker than others. Is it the source of the pollen that makes a difference, or am I seeing the plastic bears bottles with comb that is just making it appear lighter?
Jedi mind tricks. @

The size and shape of container affects the amount of light shining thru them.

The very early spring honey was VERY light colored and as the season goes on the color gets a bit darker according to whatever nectar source is available at the time. The early spring honey was thinner as well. The summer stuff I'm just extracting is THICK, sticky, gooey, and sweet. Very high quality.
Fall is different and tastes different.

Honey changes according to the seasons.

If you look on the second shelf down...three bears on the right are super clear and light. That is the last of the spring honey.
aunt betty

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:45 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of regulation you have to comply with in order to sell your honey commercially?
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of regulation you have to comply with in order to sell your honey commercially?

"Commercially" is the thing. Of course if I want to put my honey in Walmart it'd be HELL.

Now in truth the state I live in (Illinois) has an exemption law in place that protects me from all sorts of what you mention (regulations) until I make and sell more than 3 tons per year. That's 6000 pounds and would sell for around $30k. I'm a long way from there and can extract and bottle in my kitchen up until I start trying to sell at the local farmer's markets. Their own regs are more strict that the feds so I won't be selling at any farmer's markets. (they're like nazis and want to randomly inspect).

I'm exempt from USDA and US Dept. of Ag inspections and some other things like labeling. I do a lot of cash sales in person face to face.
aunt betty

The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Good deal.
Botiz630

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:47 am

Starting to get this fish frying stuff down.
Andy's breading, peanut oil, turkey fryer and whallah.
13580412_288735928145942_8717117803076510691_o.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Ha, we did the same and burned the hell out of a mess of bluegills and crappie today.
Botiz630

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Ha, we did the same and burned the hell out of a mess of bluegills and crappie today.

Damn that sucks. Bluegill and crappie kix ass on this old catfish. :)
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:37 am

aunt betty wrote:Starting to get this fish frying stuff down.
Andy's breading, peanut oil, turkey fryer and whallah.
13580412_288735928145942_8717117803076510691_o.jpg

Oh hail yes, good stuff Betty!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Found a box of honey for AB:

Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Them wood duck boxes are notorious for being just the exact size thing that honeybees are looking for in the exact right places.
Getting them out is a pita.
aunt betty

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Can't wait for goose season this year. We have a 25 day season now instead of 15. Started nocking on doors this weekend and have permission for over 30 fields so far. Now I just need to convince my boss to let me start at 9:30 every day of September.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 pm

I just wish they would move our season a week or two.later.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:01 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Now I just need to convince my boss to let me start at 9:30 every day of September.

Put him on birds and you can play hooky together.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 am

Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Now I just need to convince my boss to let me start at 9:30 every day of September.

Put him on birds and you can play hooky together.

If only that worked...
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:38 am

Anyone know (looking at you Olly? ) how you could setup a Web page to generate income from advertising on it?

Fiancée is going to try and raise a bunch of money for a dog rescue shelter/boarding facility, and I am thinking there has to be a way to build a site for/about it that will have advertising on it to supplement the donations, and that way even if someone can't donate their clicks can generate income.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:18 am

Goldfish wrote:Anyone know (looking at you Olly? ) how you could setup a Web page to generate income from advertising on it?

Fiancée is going to try and raise a bunch of money for a dog rescue shelter/boarding facility, and I am thinking there has to be a way to build a site for/about it that will have advertising on it to supplement the donations, and that way even if someone can't donate their clicks can generate income.
I see this sort of thing frequently on the feel-good news show.

People have a 80-acre farm all set up for rescuing dogs and then I wonder...how did they purchase an 80-acre farm, remodel the buildings, build a kennel and a mile of fence? There has to be at least 6 or 8 of these deals within 50 miles of here and they are not all for dogs. One is a horse shelter and another is for...alpacas.
Totally sustainable. @
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:57 am

Maybe I'm hard hearted, but if you want to run an animal rescue. Hey, I'm all for having your hobbies. :beer:

However, if you want other people to pay for your hobby, yeah, let's rescue people first. A .22 shell still costs pennies and then we can use the thousands of dollars to do things that actually help people. Start or invest in a business. If you are successful, look at all the jobs and value you provide to consumers. That helps people. Doesn't even have to be the stereotypical things, many of which are counterproductive.

Then again, maybe I should start a retriever rescue. I'll make sure they are hunted every day possible. We will travel to Canada and follow the birds down and then the snow geese back up. The dogs will be so happy and doing what they were bred to do. Now if I can just find a way to get people to give me a few hundred thousand dollars per year, I can selflessly rescue many retrievers and give them the lives these dogs deserve. Who wouldn't want to make that possible? After all, it really is just for these poor dogs that I can't afford to help by myself. :roll:

If I'm being an ass, sorry, but it sounds like a fun hobby, but why would I or anyone pay for it? Is that really the best use of that $1 to help make the world a better place?

BTW, good luck to you. Maybe she is the next PT Barnum. I think we are now up to the point where there are 10 suckers born every minute. After all look at who will be our next President.

SpinnerMan

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Maybe I'm hard hearted, but if you want to run an animal rescue. Hey, I'm all for having your hobbies. :beer:

However, if you want other people to pay for your hobby, yeah, let's rescue people first. A .22 shell still costs pennies and then we can use the thousands of dollars to do things that actually help people. Start or invest in a business. If you are successful, look at all the jobs and value you provide to consumers. That helps people. Doesn't even have to be the stereotypical things, many of which are counterproductive.

Then again, maybe I should start a retriever rescue. I'll make sure they are hunted every day possible. We will travel to Canada and follow the birds down and then the snow geese back up. The dogs will be so happy and doing what they were bred to do. Now if I can just find a way to get people to give me a few hundred thousand dollars per year, I can selflessly rescue many retrievers and give them the lives these dogs deserve. Who wouldn't want to make that possible? After all, it really is just for these poor dogs that I can't afford to help by myself. :roll:

If I'm being an ass, sorry, but it sounds like a fun hobby, but why would I or anyone pay for it? Is that really the best use of that $1 to help make the world a better place?

BTW, good luck to you. Maybe she is the next PT Barnum. I think we are now up to the point where there are 10 suckers born every minute. After all look at who will be our next President.

You clearly don't know crazy animal people, and the amount of money they can shell out for the right "cause".

Your hunting excursion however, they wouldn't give a dime to because "the poor goose would die", regardless of the logic you try to use with how the dogs would love it etc.
Goldfish

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:08 pm

Goldfish wrote:You clearly don't know crazy animal people, and the amount of money they can shell out for the right "cause".

I am well aware. Why do you think I had to bump PT Barnum's estimate up by a factor of 10?

Goldfish wrote:Your hunting excursion however, they wouldn't give a dime to because "the poor goose would die", regardless of the logic you try to use with how the dogs would love it etc.

It is not a hunting excursion. It is dog therapy. It is all for the dogs. They get to run, swim, play, and enjoy life as their breed developers intended.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Maybe if you posted in the dog forum but first you gotta be force-fetched. :clap:
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:Maybe if you posted in the dog forum but first you gotta be force-fetched. :clap:

I'm scared of that dark, haunted place
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 am

Pulled 5 supers (boxes) full of honey. Extracted them and got close to 14 gallons of honey.
Bet I have another 20+ gallons on hives right now easily and the bees are re-filling them supers I emptied.
One gallon fills 16 bears and at $5 a piece. That 14 gallons represents about $1100
$80/gallon all day. Am not selling it cheap.
There's a lot of sweat involved with working them bees. I earned every penny.
aunt betty

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 am

Still, that's impressive.
Goldfish

Postby team216 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Destroyed my back today at work. I'm a little crooked, usually both sides look similar to the left. Not with the hip pushed out though. Sorry about the boxers. I was getting ready to shower when the girlfriend pointed out how crooked I was.

team216

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:48 pm

As much as I don't really believe all the healing mumbo jumbo about a chiropractor, it feels good and I know that they can straighten you out and with continued going your body will get back into normal form, and being normal has to be better than being all crooked
Goldfish

Postby team216 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:26 am

Yeah the pain doesn't bother me too much. I'm going on Tuesday to see the quack. If he can straighten me out that's all I want. Being crooked for the next 45 to 55 years will be hell. Pretty sure it was gym related and I got compressed a little. But I can't sit still. I've got a garage to finish and a blind to brush. 32 days until early season.
team216

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind