Latest Purchase Thread

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Latest Purchase Thread

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm

WTN10 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:I see a Wilson. Nice guns wtn.

You see two Wilsons, only one of which is a 1911.

Even better.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 am

3 dozen decoys for $30
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 am

Goldfish wrote:3 dozen decoys for $30

Lucky. Down here because of duck dynasty used duck stuff is stupid high.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 am

Olly wrote:

Its not just down there, There was a listing on CL a couple weeks agro for a dozen 20 year old Cary lights for $150.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 am

Olly wrote:

No joke. I find old flambeaus for $20-25 apiece all the time. It's cheaper just to buy the new shit instead of dealing with "experts" cleaning out their garage.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 am

Bought them from a kid who probably didn't "know their value" like these "experts" do who are just trying to "turn junk into cash"
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 pm

What I want to know is if anyone is actually paying those dollar amounts to justify those prices.
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm

I bet even non duck hunters who find decoys just go to Cabela's and look at their prices then sell them the same. It's cheap molded plastic duck painted by children in a rice patty somewhere. Not worth $20 a piece.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Half-Dozen Avian-X Flocked Black Mallard decoys, 6-slot Avery carrier for them, case of dove shells, 4 boxes of 3" steel #4's, a 94 qt Marine Igloo, and a handful of Redfish magic spinner baits. Dammit man, my wallet is still crying :shock: Just starting to stock duck loads for the upcoming season, and will buy 4-6 boxes here and there over the next few weeks. I prefer the Remington 3" steel in #4 for early season (and LA), and BB for later in the season when the gadwalls laugh at you from 60-70 yards and land 100 yards out. By the time big duck season rolls around, the shell selection is at the suckass stage on the local shelves.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Deltaman wrote:Half-Dozen Avian-X Flocked Black Mallard decoys, 6-slot Avery carrier for them, case of dove shells, 4 boxes of 3" steel #4's, a 94 qt Marine Igloo, and a handful of Redfish magic spinner baits. Dammit man, my wallet is still crying :shock: Just starting to stock duck loads for the upcoming season, and will buy 4-6 boxes here and there over the next few weeks. I prefer the Remington 3" steel in #4 for early season (and LA), and BB for later in the season when the gadwalls laugh at you from 60-70 yards and land 100 yards out. By the time big duck season rolls around, the shell selection is at the suckass stage on the local shelves.

I haven't bought duck loads in a store in a while. Buy all mine online and usually by the case. Enough to last me all season.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Olly wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Half-Dozen Avian-X Flocked Black Mallard decoys, 6-slot Avery carrier for them, case of dove shells, 4 boxes of 3" steel #4's, a 94 qt Marine Igloo, and a handful of Redfish magic spinner baits. Dammit man, my wallet is still crying :shock: Just starting to stock duck loads for the upcoming season, and will buy 4-6 boxes here and there over the next few weeks. I prefer the Remington 3" steel in #4 for early season (and LA), and BB for later in the season when the gadwalls laugh at you from 60-70 yards and land 100 yards out. By the time big duck season rolls around, the shell selection is at the suckass stage on the local shelves.

I haven't bought duck loads in a store in a while. Buy all mine online and usually by the case. Enough to last me all season.

I'm with you Olly, but have had a hard time finding the shells I prefer online. My gun patterns well with the Remington Sportsman load, and I do not like the new Hypersonic loads. They remind me of a diet meal, where they take the good stuff out and charge you more $. Seems to me, the Hypersonic loads just have less payload, yet they cost more ......and I've got a Terrortube, and there are limits on shot speed through them (or so I've heard). Absolutely hate Federals. Tried Blindside last year, and was unimpressed also. Kent and Estate rank about the same with me, low on my list. Winchester is my 2nd choice for steel, and will buy if necessary. Wish I could afford the Hevi-Shot or Tungstun, but my wallet is just a little too thin for those. I'll probably just hunt and peck my way up to 25 boxes or so to get me through the season, but will order by the case thru mail order if I can find what I'm looking for.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:

I'm with you Olly, but have had a hard time finding the shells I prefer online. My gun patterns well with the Remington Sportsman load, and I do not like the new Hypersonic loads. They remind me of a diet meal, where they take the good stuff out and charge you more $. Seems to me, the Hypersonic loads just have less payload, yet they cost more ......and I've got a Terrortube, and there are limits on shot speed through them (or so I've heard). Absolutely hate Federals. Tried Blindside last year, and was unimpressed also. Kent and Estate rank about the same with me, low on my list. Winchester is my 2nd choice for steel, and will buy if necessary. Wish I could afford the Hevi-Shot or Tungstun, but my wallet is just a little too thin for those. I'll probably just hunt and peck my way up to 25 boxes or so to get me through the season, but will order by the case thru mail order if I can find what I'm looking for.

Maybe it's easier for me to find hem because I shoot nothing but Whinchester cheap-os.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Olly wrote:
Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:

Maybe it's easier for me to find hem because I shoot nothing but Whinchester cheap-os.

The Experts are good shells, but I want as much punch as I can get. You have hunted here long enough to understand how the
Gadwallsteins work in our area once the season is under way. They will rarely light near the bank, and unless we have extreme wind, and they are working to stool (which may be 10% of the hunts if you are lucky), they will make a couple of 100 yd passes, and a 50-60 yd pass, before they light, typically well out of gun range.......da fuckers. You either take the 50-60 yd shot, or don't shoot, very frustrating. Wasn't always this way, but the past few years with duck commanders coming out of the woodwork, the hunting pressure is greater than ever before.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:
Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:

The Experts are good shells, but I want as much punch as I can get. You have hunted here long enough to understand how the
Gadwallsteins work in our area once the season is under way. They will rarely light near the bank, and unless we have extreme wind, and they are working to stool (which may be 10% of the hunts if you are lucky), they will make a couple of 100 yd passes, and a 50-60 yd pass, before they light, typically well out of gun range.......da fuckers. You either take the 50-60 yd shot, or don't shoot, very frustrating. Wasn't always this way, but the past few years with duck commanders coming out of the woodwork, the hunting pressure is greater than ever before.

It's funny how a little pressure and a couple hundred miles changes things. Around here, you have to beat gaddys away with a stick, probably one of the easiest birds to decoy around here.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

sws002 wrote:
Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:
Deltaman wrote:
Olly wrote:[quote="Deltaman"]Half-Dozen Avian-X Flocked Black Mallard decoys, 6-slot Avery carrier for them, case of dove shells, 4 boxes of 3" steel #4's, a 94 qt Marine Igloo, and a handful of Redfish magic spinner baits. Dammit man, my wallet is still crying :shock: Just starting to stock duck loads for the upcoming season, and will buy 4-6 boxes here and there over the next few weeks. I prefer the Remington 3" steel in #4 for early season (and LA), and BB for later in the season when the gadwalls laugh at you from 60-70 yards and land 100 yards out. By the time big duck season rolls around, the shell selection is at the suckass stage on the local shelves.

It's funny how a little pressure and a couple hundred miles changes things. Around here, you have to beat gaddys away with a stick, probably one of the easiest birds to decoy around here.[/quote]
He wasn't kidding. Duck hunting here in the delta is more about beating other hunters than finding the birds. Part of the reason why I want to leave AL ASAP and why I'm taking a 3 weeks trip to MI just to duck hunt this year.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Olly wrote:
sws002 wrote:
It's funny how a little pressure and a couple hundred miles changes things. Around here, you have to beat gaddys away with a stick, probably one of the easiest birds to decoy around here.

He wasn't kidding. Duck hunting here in the delta is more about beating other hunters than finding the birds. Part of the reason why I want to leave AL ASAP and why I'm taking a 3 weeks trip to MI just to duck hunt this year.

No fucking thank you. One of the reasons I absolutely love going to North Dakota. In the 4 years we've gone, we've not yet had one conflict with another group of hunters. Had a close call last year where we stayed the night in a field to lock it down and thought someone was going to set up on the road and shoot our swing, but they were just hunting a small pothole for ducks and didn't fire a shot, even though birds were pouring over their heads to us all morning.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 pm

sws002 wrote:
Olly wrote:
sws002 wrote:

No fucking thank you. One of the reasons I absolutely love going to North Dakota. In the 4 years we've gone, we've not yet had one conflict with another group of hunters. Had a close call last year where we stayed the night in a field to lock it down and thought someone was going to set up on the road and shoot our swing, but they were just hunting a small pothole for ducks and didn't fire a shot, even though birds were pouring over their heads to us all morning.

In the UP of Michigan before they made the season open a week earlier than the LP I could go out in opening day and not see another hunter. Even after the trolls started coming up it wasn't enough people to cause any problems.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Olly wrote:
sws002 wrote:
Olly wrote:
sws002 wrote:

In the UP of Michigan before they made the season open a week earlier than the LP I could go out in opening day and not see another hunter. Even after the trolls started coming up it wasn't enough people to cause any problems.

I was one of those trolls last year. Saw like 2 other parties total last year. Big difference from the zone 3 opener...guy on ever point with some in-between.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:11 pm

If it's public, I will typically see 482 other groups each time out, regardless of what day it is. Glad I have some private land, which is getting harder to come by.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby gila-river » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm

One of the few positives about AZ waterfowling. No pressure whatsoever. When I happen to run into another duck hunter in the field we're usually happy to see each other and shoot the shit about hunting for a while.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 pm

gila-river wrote:One of the few positives about AZ waterfowling. No pressure whatsoever. When I happen to run into another duck hunter in the field we're usually happy to see each other and shoot the shit about hunting for a while.

Or Rambo
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby gila-river » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Not possible. I'm Rambo
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 pm

gila-river wrote:Not possible. I'm Rambo

Rambo doesnt farm carrots...

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

Finally got my 3 dozen decoy weights. Just have to snap them on the clip and I'm ready to rip. Jim Porter out of Mississippi is the man on these. 3.5 feet with 6 oz. mushroom weights.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409367508.339196.jpg

And I got 4 pounds of H4350.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409367534.664962.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby hudson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 am

Two of them for teal season
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
hudson

Postby Woody » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 am

hudson wrote:Two of them for teal season

Wish we had some teal, for teal season.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby hudson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 am

Woody wrote:
hudson wrote:Two of them for teal season

Wish we had some teal, for teal season.
seen thousands last night
hudson

Postby Steele22 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409438028.176643.jpg
got a pair of camo costas. Bad ass shades