Latest Purchase Thread

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Latest Purchase Thread

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Just gave RNT some card numbers for a replacement insert for the half-scroll era DC I broke the cork tab on this Fall. Had heard they'd cut that old toneboard but somehow mark or date it as new in such cases, but was only given a more noncommittal "We'll see if we can get it close." So I feel like I'm getting potluck, might have a new-to-me call coming and looking forward to seeing what's in the box.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Just bought gasoline for $133.9
Dang I like that.
I can drive to Arkansas towing my boat with a 4-wheel drive for 40 bucks. Sweet.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:46 pm

aunt betty wrote:Just bought gasoline for $133.9
Dang I like that.
I can drive to Arkansas towing my boat with a 4-wheel drive for 40 bucks. Sweet.

One hundred thirty three dollars and ninety cents per gallon :shock: :shock: :shock:

That must be some incredible gas mileage if you can drive to Arkansas for forty dollars :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:48 pm

30 gallons...thats 40 dollars worth. It's 347 miles from my house to my camp in arkansas
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 pm

I get your reference to the typo. Whatever. You're funny. I think. Maybe.
A little.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:25 pm

aunt betty wrote:I get your reference to the typo. Whatever. You're funny. I think. Maybe.
A little.

Probably not, but I try, I guess.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:40 am

Rick wrote:Just gave RNT some card numbers for a replacement insert for the half-scroll era DC I broke the cork tab on this Fall. Had heard they'd cut that old toneboard but somehow mark or date it as new in such cases, but was only given a more noncommittal "We'll see if we can get it close." So I feel like I'm getting potluck, might have a new-to-me call coming and looking forward to seeing what's in the box.

That bullshit really rubbed me wrong with calls. They couldn't do it, then they pull a limited edition for stupid money. Now they tell you we might can do it. It's crazy the shit they come up with.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:56 am

Customer service and pride in the product has been replaced with "take it or leave it...fuck you", the new corporate motto.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:07 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:Just gave RNT some card numbers for a replacement insert for the half-scroll era DC I broke the cork tab on this Fall. Had heard they'd cut that old toneboard but somehow mark or date it as new in such cases, but was only given a more noncommittal "We'll see if we can get it close." So I feel like I'm getting potluck, might have a new-to-me call coming and looking forward to seeing what's in the box.

That bullshit really rubbed me wrong with calls. They couldn't do it, then they pull a limited edition for stupid money. Now they tell you we might can do it. It's crazy the shit they come up with.

My take is that the original DC toneboard walked too fine of a hit or miss line. If the tone was right, something else was apt to be wrong. Know that mine was initially very bad for locking up on the quiet clucks and chucks I habitually did, mostly as a nervous mannerism between more meaningful calls. Drove me buggy, I sent it back and soon got a call from Jim saying that they'd taken "some" of the hitch out of it but couldn't go farther without fear of losing the call's harsh edge. Gave me the choice of trying it as was or a new, less cranky, insert, and still thinking that insert's unique tone might prove the bomb, I opted to keep it, slighter but still present hitch and all. "All" included running like a truck and being ultra sensitive to trash on its toneboard compared the other calls I use.

My "guess" is that the current versions of the "old style DC" are a cleaned up version of what I had, while not quite so much so as the current DCs. And that Cole was just being straight with me about not knowing where what I had or what they're sending me might fall on the scale.

Doubt whatever I get will earn more than the backup status the old one held. Know I tried a RMC Cold Water Fan this year that some say is like a more versatile and cooperative old DC and was disappointed.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:06 am

I know a guy who is on a quest for a RNT call.
He wants a short barrel with the old type tone board like rick is talking about.
Wants cocobola. I had one and it got stolen about 4 years ago.
If you got one...let me know.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:51 am

aunt betty wrote:He wants a short barrel with the old type tone board like rick is talking about.

The only old and new SB difference I'm aware of is in the insert's boring and, hense, volume, with the new ones being tighter and quieter. I suspect they did so to create more differentiation between the two after they tamed the DC, which was a derivative of the SB in the first place.

Had an old, bigger-bored hedge SB that most would probably think the "duckiest" call I've owned. Would have been my favorite working call, if not for the MVP. Also had a neat history of who had passed it to who and subsequently to me, and rather than let it sit in a drawer, I gave it to a super talented young caller and protege of one of its past owners who I knew would appreciate it. Being able to do that was worth much more to me than the dollar premium it would bring. (Probably some sort of sin to sell a gift call, anyway.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:00 am

The call with the most blood on it. I like the stepped bore. Loud.
1453820369560.jpg
1453820395635.jpg

Oops, got off topic. sorry everyone.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

Pretend you just bought it.
Rick

Postby Olly » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Titaniumman wrote:Ordered my first pair of waders, MPW Grand Prairie 5mm.

Going for the gold right out of the gate.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:57 am

Bought a spearing decoy to replace the one that went for a swim because I can't tie a knot apparently
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 am

Goldfish wrote:Bought a spearing decoy to replace the one that went for a swim because I can't tie a knot apparently

When I first heard of those I thought it was a gimmick.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm

I've got some hand carved ones that are deadly.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:51 pm

amber wrote:Bought my first pair of waders!!

I got a pair of drake waders. They are very nice :!:

I've been thinking about getting a pair of their "2.0" waders but their first versions a few years ago sucked so I'm weary.

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I've got some hand carved ones that are deadly.

Old Yooper I met and became friends with gave me a few hand carved ones. He carved them himself, this guy was Yooper to the core and I miss shooting the shit with that guy.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:02 am

Olly wrote:
amber wrote:Bought my first pair of waders!!

I got a pair of drake waders. They are very nice :!:

I've been thinking about getting a pair of their "2.0" waders but their first versions a few years ago sucked so I'm weary.

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I've got some hand carved ones that are deadly.

Old Yooper I met and became friends with gave me a few hand carved ones. He carved them himself, this guy was Yooper to the core and I miss shooting the shit with that guy.

I have one Oscar Peterson original, and several copies - I've never fished the original, but the copies are very effective

Of course the hometown factor makes it kinda neat too...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_W._Peterson
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Weston81 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Olly wrote:
Weston81 wrote:Glock 43 on the bottom

I've really been wanting one of those. Tell me how you like it after a little while.

Olly, been carrying it for a couple weeks now and have run 500 rounds through it. Have to say I am very pleased with the gun overall. For what it is, it's very accurate and recoil is not an issue. My IWB holster has three height positions and the middle one is the one I prefer to carry. I would carry it on the lowest ridding setting, but it impacts my ability to get a clean grip on the handle of the gun when going for it quickly 2 out of 10 times. I figure in the event I actually have to use it I am better off with a little less comfort or conceal-ability for something I can actually draw 10 out 0f 10 times with no issue. I've carried it multiple times for 6 plus hours without discomfort, so my vote is a yea for the Glock 43.
Weston81

Postby ohioduck » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 am

Doz hardcore pre rigged mallards. Got them for very cheap.
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 am

Picked up this little rig.
!6' jon boat with 225 horse.
12688382_10208088054466831_7359233045585986176_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:02 pm

"You might be a coonass, if..."
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:43 pm

High Performance Tillers (outlaw oosers).

I'll betcha Rick knows what I mean. :D
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Naw, I can pole a pirogue better than most, but beyond that I'm pretty clueless about boats.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Joined that group and just by watching what they do learned how to get the speed of my boat to increase by about 7 or 8 miles per hour and I'm still working on it. Little shit like jacking up the engine a couple inches higher. If I switch props I bet I can hit 28mph with a 15 horse engine. I'm up to 24 now.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

aunt betty wrote:Picked up this little rig.
!6' jon boat with 225 horse.
12688382_10208088054466831_7359233045585986176_n.jpg

All I can say is holy shit. Speed?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 pm

It's not mine. I lied. However 95% of what I say is the 100% truth. You already knew that though. Hehe
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind