Latest Purchase Thread

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Latest Purchase Thread

Postby Olly » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:17 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I don't think a combat firefight and shooting an intruder at 30 feet at 2am have much in common either. I can see the use in a combat situation. I just can't see the use in a dark hallway in the middle of the night.

They have a hell of a lot more in common with each other than duck hunting... when it comes to this kind of stuff because I'm not a combat hardened guy I always try to be as real as I can and underestimate my abilities. Which is why I'd rather have a home defense gun with sights that are known to increase accuracy in close quarters than fool myself and think "I got this". If that time comes I will be a scared trembling mess as would everyone who isn't fooling themselves and has never HAD to defend his life with deadly force and when I'm shaking like a leaf in my boots I don't want to rely on my untested intuition.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:At 10yds you should be able to put a slug in a human size target without worrying about aiming I would think.

Because at 2 am when you have your door being kicked in you'll be thinking about aim... There is a reason ghost sights are used by the military and LE.

That's what I mean. Last think I'd be thinking about is aiming.
Look at my target, point and shoot. Just like I do with ducks. I never look at my bead.

Ducks arent trying to kill you. You can think that you want but when my life is on the line I want the odds in my favor and having a taticool ghost sight does that. There is a reason they are standard on combat shotguns around the world.

Tacticool :lol: I have a ghost ring sight for my Benelli for turkey season.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Wouldn't be a fire fight without a whole lot more shooting than aiming.
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Olly wrote:Then again I don't have any duck hunting skills either so I'm screwed.

Yeah....and you better make sure you put that thing back together right if you take it apart to clean it.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 pm

I bought birds
uploadfromtaptalk1417321733448.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 am

And Pup was glad you did.
Rick

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Good mail day. A carving book that I picked up for 3.00 and one of Gary's new large bores that he had on eBay.
RickC

Postby Woody » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 pm

RickC wrote:Good mail day. A carving book that I picked up for 3.00 and one of Gary's new large bores that he had on eBay.

Where did you get that for $3?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Woody wrote:
RickC wrote:Good mail day. A carving book that I picked up for 3.00 and one of Gary's new large bores that he had on eBay.

Half.com , I get most of my books there
RickC

Postby Bufflehead » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:33 pm

RickC wrote:
Woody wrote:

Half.com , I get most of my books there
I'll have to check that website out. I have bought a bunch of carving and decoy/waterfowl books on amazon for next to nothing.
Bufflehead

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Between those two is where I've found the best prices. And if you've been buying those books you know how high books related to decoys can get. I want one of Keith Mueller's newest book but its way out of my price range.
RickC

Postby Capttrae » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Just bought 2 dozen decoys that a guy had on Craigslist
Capttrae

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:57 am

Capttrae wrote:Just bought 2 dozen decoys that a guy had on Craigslist

What kind?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:32 am

A dozen mallards and a dozen teal. Not sure of the brand but they looked pretty good
Capttrae

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:14 am

Nice.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:06 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417558017.751832.jpg
Capttrae

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Those look like older tanglefrees. Hope you got a good deal on them and you living in a hotel?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:11 pm

All for $100, no not living in a hotel, just got done with T-HUET training was planning on going on dins to the boat this afternoon but they headed offshore right before I got out of class
Capttrae

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:38 am

That style is about my favorite kind of decoy, one of my very few commonalities with AB. They'll take a beating better than any new decoy I've ever had.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:40 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:That style is about my favorite kind of decoy, one of my very few commonalities with AB. They'll take a beating better than any new decoy I've ever had.

Speaking of which, anyone heard from him?
R. Chapman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:55 am

R. Chapman wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:That style is about my favorite kind of decoy, one of my very few commonalities with AB. They'll take a beating better than any new decoy I've ever had.

Speaking of which, anyone heard from him?

Not in a while. Last I seen him post was on FB but I don't get on there much at all since my computer doesn't like that place for some reason or another.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 am

TNAL ran into him recently. The guy he leased his rice pit from traded for some timber hunts. He goes to meet the guy at the ramp to hunt and it was none other than Betty waiting for him.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 am

Flightstopper wrote:TNAL ran into him recently. The guy he leased his rice pit from traded for some timber hunts. He goes to meet the guy at the ramp to hunt and it was none other than Betty waiting for him.

I'm not sure if that would be pretty cool or absolutely terrifying.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:37 am

Woody wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:TNAL ran into him recently. The guy he leased his rice pit from traded for some timber hunts. He goes to meet the guy at the ramp to hunt and it was none other than Betty waiting for him.

It'd be fun to hunt with AB :lol:.
R. Chapman

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:50 am

Woody wrote:

It would definitely be an initial shock to the nervous system :lol: Walk up out of the dark to see Betty staring back at you.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Woody wrote:

It would definitely be an initial shock to the nervous system :lol: Walk up out of the dark to see Betty staring back at you.

99% chance of me shitting myself, if that ever happens to me.
Woody

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:08 am

AB was ran off by one of the regulars that used to hang around. At least that is what he told me. I've asked him to come back but after all he is AB and has a funny way about things.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:09 am

Woody wrote:

Terrifying. I think that mental preparation would be necessary to hunt with AB and if it happened unexpectedly a meltdown would be in short order.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 pm

I miss the shit out of AB! He added a lot of color to our world, and would love to see him get back on the board.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 pm

@auntbetty
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind