The brotherhood of the UDS

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The brotherhood of the UDS

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Official answer. Burn it till you think it's good/ looks 'clean', then burn it for another 24 of shiner.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

grizz18 wrote:Solid answers!

:lol:
I wouldn't know, I used an old barrel that had been used for horse feed for 15 years or more. Didn't have anything to burn out.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby grizz18 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I burnt a pretty damn hot fire for about 2-3 hrs last night. I plan on doing it again tonight, then cleaning it out Wednesday night and see what it looks like inside. I will smoking 2 shoulders this weekend along with some steamed oysters. :beer:
grizz18

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:52 pm

grizz18 wrote:I burnt a pretty damn hot fire for about 2-3 hrs last night. I plan on doing it again tonight, then cleaning it out Wednesday night and see what it looks like inside. I will smoking 2 shoulders this weekend along with some steamed oysters. :beer:

My advice abt BBQ in a UDS is hot and fast to keep a clean smoke. I'm talkin 275-325 degrees. Otherwise the food will taste like creosote. You can't have low and slow with the food in the same chamber as the fire or else you get dirty smoke. Hotter fire = clean smoke. Cooler fire = dirty smoke and nasty Q.
You want the smoke to be thin and have a blueish look to it.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby grizz18 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:17 am

Pretty sure that anyhting that was in the barrel is dead. I had a super hot fire going for a couple hours, the damn barrel was glowing.
grizz18

Postby Willie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:09 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
grizz18 wrote:I burnt a pretty damn hot fire for about 2-3 hrs last night. I plan on doing it again tonight, then cleaning it out Wednesday night and see what it looks like inside. I will smoking 2 shoulders this weekend along with some steamed oysters. :beer:

My advice abt BBQ in a UDS is hot and fast to keep a clean smoke. I'm talkin 275-325 degrees. Otherwise the food will taste like creosote. You can't have low and slow with the food in the same chamber as the fire or else you get dirty smoke. Hotter fire = clean smoke. Cooler fire = dirty smoke and nasty Q.
You want the smoke to be thin and have a blueish look to it.

I agree with the hot and fast. Smokey flavor is nice, but dirty smoke is not. Plus I get bored as crap waiting for hours around a smoker.
Willie

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:22 am

^^^willie gets it. UDS was good to get started on but I'm hooked on the offset smokers now.
FlintRiverFowler

Previous

Return to The Blind