The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Olly wrote:Sneak peak of the new software for WFF. Working on porting over the style I wrote and use now.

IMG_20150425_172121352_HDR.jpg

What's the software?

An updated version of what we have now. When I'm done setting it up it will look very similar to our design now but with a lot of new features.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Bad17 wrote:You can't be a pussy your whole life. Suck it get smashed and enjoy it. Go home with a cougar.

I was beyond drunk when my brother drug me out.

Still soldier up and handle business. Cougars
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Bad17 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Bad17 wrote:You can't be a pussy your whole life. Suck it get smashed and enjoy it. Go home with a cougar.

I was beyond drunk when my brother drug me out.

Still soldier up and handle business. Cougars

Lol there was only 6 people left when we walked out. All couples.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Then just be a swinging.
Bad17

Postby DComeaux » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Olly, were you involved with any of this?

(CNN)Two bodies have been recovered from Mobile Bay, Alabama, after a severe storm capsized sailboats in a regatta on Saturday, U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Duke Walker said Sunday.

Walker said authorities are still looking for five missing people. Maj. Steve Thompson with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency called the effort "a recovery operation."

Walker said two aircraft and numerous boats searched on Sunday. Searchers have covered more than 2,500 miles, he said.

More than 100 sailboats took part in the Dauphin Island Race on Saturday afternoon and 40 people were rescued from the water, the Coast Guard said.

"Our guys worked hard and long to rescue people," Walker said. "This is an awful tragedy and our hearts go out to the families."

One body was found Saturday night and another Sunday morning, he said. Walker says they believe at least one person was not from the regatta, but was a mariner on the water at the time.

Jeff Carter, deputy director of Mobile County Emergency Management, said besides overturned sailboats, one vessel hit a bridge.

Coast Guard Sector Mobile received a report at approximately 4:30 p.m. Saturday that a sailing regatta in Mobile Bay had been struck by severe weather, causing several vessels to capsize and leaving a number of people in the water.

The Fairhope Yacht Club sponsors the Dauphin Island Race, according to the club website. The club says this is the 57th year for the event.
DComeaux

Postby Bad17 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:07 pm

I believe Olly said he is recruiting and he is not involved in it. But wanted to know what was going on.
Bad17

Postby DComeaux » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Bad17 wrote:I believe Olly said he is recruiting and he is not involved in it. But wanted to know what was going on.

DAMN! I looked before I posted and still didn't notice the question had already been asked. The description of the is in my post above.
DComeaux

Postby Goldfish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:46 pm

If there was weather that threatening, why would they have allowed that regatta to go on?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 am

Goldfish wrote:If there was weather that threatening, why would they have allowed that regatta to go on?

That was my thoughts exactly! Way too much technology and information readily available today for this to happen.
DComeaux

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 am

http://www.sailpdx.org/wp-content/uploa ... expect.pdf

http://hssailing.org/documents/ISSA_saf ... _10_19.pdf

Safety and good sense—Although the rules place upon the competitor the sole responsibility to
decide whether to start or continue to race, the race committee should know when to abandon or not
start

The committes place the burden on the sailors. These weekend sailors think they are too good and have the best equipment. It lulls them in to a false sense of security. Someone should have made the call to not start the race, however the Captains should have went, I'm going to breakfast I'll see you later.

It's the unoffical motto of the Coast Guard " You have to go out, and thats the fact. Nothing says you have to come back".

It shouldn't apply to the recreational sailor.
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:02 am

For Kevin Maurin, president of the Dauphin Island Fishing Rodeo, Saturday started off "perfect," with pleasant winds and a great outlook for the 8-person crew. He said race officials originally cancelled the regatta, only to reverse that course and give a green light after an hour delay.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf ... ilors.html
ohioduck

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:04 am

We were all expecting heavy winds," he said, explaining that sailboats often begin to perform at their best in conditions that are daunting to most small craft out for pleasure. "Most people were prepared for heavy winds."

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf ... ne_be.html

Dumb bastards. :roll:
ohioduck

Postby Deltaman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:11 am

I was on the water fishing when that storm was approaching, only a few miles from launch, and barely made it in before the shit hit the fan. Was catching bull bream and kept saying, just one more fish, then we will go, just one more............ and was damn glad we left when we did! That was a fast moving storm, and must've developed and gotten worse as it approached. Before the storm came through, it was a beautiful day, and very typical for this time of year on the coast. Afternoon squalls can form quickly, and those caught in the middle of the bay on a sail boat are at the mercy of it. Water temps are tolerable, and with a life jacket on, no reason for anybody to drown. That is what freaks me out, and I see that two people died and five are missing.....wtf???? Unless they were struck by lightning, we should have survivors. As far as calling the regatta off, it is one of the biggest of the year, and the forecast was not all that unusual earlier in the day.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 am

That storm came up real quick on Saturday. It was sunny one minute and the next it was pouring rain and gusting, I was in the middle of repairing a outside water faucet for my GF when it came on.

I haven't heard anything more than what has been on the news. Even if I wasn't a recruiter computers techs don't go on SAR cases very often :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Olly wrote:That storm came up real quick on Saturday. It was sunny one minute and the next it was pouring rain and gusting, I was in the middle of repairing a outside water faucet for my GF when it came on.

I haven't heard anything more than what has been on the news. Even if I wasn't a recruiter computers techs don't go on SAR cases very often :lol:

What was your first duty buddy? Were you ever on a boat?
ohioduck

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Olly doesn't even know how to swim.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 pm

It's on the internet now so it's fact.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 pm

ohioduck wrote:
Olly wrote:That storm came up real quick on Saturday. It was sunny one minute and the next it was pouring rain and gusting, I was in the middle of repairing a outside water faucet for my GF when it came on.

Station Galveston and nope as of yet I've never been stationed on a cutter. I want to after this though, need sea time to be competative for E7.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:

Station Galveston and nope as of yet I've never been stationed on a cutter. I want to after this though, need sea time to be competative for E7.

lol. What boats can you get on? 180 and bigger?
ohioduck

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:25 pm

ohioduck wrote:
Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:

As an IT2 180 and larger but as a IT1 which is what I'm hoping to be when I leave recruiting only 210 and larger. I will try to get on the Mackinaw in 2017 when there is an IT1 opening there.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:
Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:

As an IT2 180 and larger but as a IT1 which is what I'm hoping to be when I leave recruiting only 210 and larger. I will try to get on the Mackinaw in 2017 when there is an IT1 opening there.

No thanks. You can keep them big boats. I like 110's 87's and 47's. I should have been 44 qualed but I didn't get my check ride before they decommisioned it :cry:
ohioduck

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

ohioduck wrote:
Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:
Olly wrote:
ohioduck wrote:[quote="Olly"]That storm came up real quick on Saturday. It was sunny one minute and the next it was pouring rain and gusting, I was in the middle of repairing a outside water faucet for my GF when it came on.

No thanks. You can keep them big boats. I like 110's 87's and 47's. I should have been 44 qualed but I didn't get my check ride before they decommisioned it :cry:[/quote]

I've tried to get on a cutter every time I could have. Just never happened.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Probably not a lot of Underway jobs for an IT guy. I got to do a day trip on the first Mackinaw that was awesome.
ohioduck

Postby Bad17 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Man I am sick and tired of the rain. I feel like I am living in the northwest.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Bad17 wrote:Man I am sick and tired of the rain. I feel like I am living in the northwest.

You and me both.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm

My yard is a swamp
Bad17

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 pm

ohioduck wrote:Probably not a lot of Underway jobs for an IT guy. I got to do a day trip on the first Mackinaw that was awesome.

The new one is pretty badass. It's a one off, they went with a unique contract on it everything is way more high tech than most other CG cutters.

It was like a cruise ship, 2 man berthings for E5 and above and 4 man for below.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430197692.899614.jpg

Killed a monster carp tonight
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:22 am

Ho Lee Shit Baltimore is fucked.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:22 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430197692.899614.jpg

Killed a monster carp tonight

Congrats Nuff. What's the weight?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind