The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Found the mouth of an underground spring in the woods at work today. Baby blue hole. Only one I've ever found but not too uncommon in the flint river basin. I stuck some long branches down it and couldn't find a bottom. Might take a fishing pole out there with a sinker weight on it and see how far that'll go.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426115114.746819.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Dive in!!!
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Flint I don't want to get all technical but I'm pretty sure it doesn't become a spring until it comes out of the ground :lol:
Bulldog0156

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:Flint I don't want to get all technical but I'm pretty sure it doesn't become a spring until it comes out of the ground :lol:

You can't see in the pic but it flows out the right side runs about 100 feet, goes back under ground for a little ways and then comes back out again and flows into a creek about 300-400 yards down from there.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 am

Appears pretty roiled for spring water, been raining?
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:45 am

Rick wrote:Appears pretty roiled for spring water, been raining?

Floods for days.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 am

The cool thing about that area and the reason I was out snooping around is that it's an archaeological site where a lot of prehistoric Native American artifacts were found. Woodland period is what the report says. Which was 3,000-1,000 years ago.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:09 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Found the mouth of an underground spring in the woods at work today. Baby blue hole. Only one I've ever found but not too uncommon in the flint river basin. I stuck some long branches down it and couldn't find a bottom. Might take a fishing pole out there with a sinker weight on it and see how far that'll go.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426115114.746819.jpg

Mark that spot on your GPS. You'll need fresh water when the zombies come.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:11 am

Good idea. Unless gps stops working when the zombies come.
It's not too far off the beaten path though.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:33 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Good idea. Unless gps stops working when the zombies come.

GPS most certainly will stop if the U.S. Govt falls. It's ran/owned by the Air Force and it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if there wasn't some kind of a "dead man" switch on it that if someone at the AF doesn't tell the networks to continue working every X amount of days the satellites will default to an encrypted mode like they were before 2000 when they because free to civilians or shutdown all together.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am

Olly wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Good idea. Unless gps stops working when the zombies come.

GPS most certainly will stop if the U.S. Govt falls. It's ran/owned by the Air Force and it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if there wasn't some kind of a "dead man" switch on it that if someone at the AF doesn't tell the networks to continue working every X amount of days the satellites will default to an encrypted mode like they were before 2000 when they because free to civilians or shutdown all together.

Learn something everyday.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:36 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Learn something everyday.

What really gets me about GPS is that SO many people rely on it on it every single day of their lives not just personal but commercial applications and the USAF can switch it off with a flip of a switch. There are no laws requiring GPS to be open for civilian use.

The Russians now have their complete GLONASS constellation which is the same as our GPS and the European Union, Chinese and even the Indian Government is working on completing their own GPS satellite constellations. Right now the only two complete are GPS and GLONASS.

GPS has always been interesting to me.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

Olly wrote:

OK, but I was using a GPS before 2000. It just didn't have the accuracy it does today. I think they claimed a 20' accuracy. It was later that the military precision or whatever was opened up. No problem finding that spring with the pre-2000 accuracy.
SpinnerMan

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Olly wrote:

OK, but I was using a GPS before 2000. It just didn't have the accuracy it does today. I think they claimed a 20' accuracy. It was later that the military precision or whatever was opened up. No problem finding that spring with the pre-2000 accuracy.

No problem finding it anyways. I left a trail of my own feces leading away from it when I left.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am

I don't use em much at all anymore. I got one for the truck but chunked that bitch in the back seat a few months ago after it pissed me off. Atlases are still the way to go. I didn't realize it was gov run but why wouldn't it be. They control everything else
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:I don't use em much at all anymore. I got one for the truck but chunked that **** in the back seat a few months ago after it pissed me off. Atlases are still the way to go. I didn't realize it was gov run but why wouldn't it be. They control everything else

I got one as a "present" for my wife because she can't read a map to save her life, so when she was navigating while I was driving, it was good for me :thumbsup:

I love them. Use them all the time. There is just so much convenience and so much information. A few button clicks and you have your gas stop or lunch stop set or whatever you want.

I'm not a big fan of google maps on my smartphone. Are there any better products out there?

BTW, I was talking about the old GPS and not the one for the car. That was great for any time you were hunting new territory. Find a good spot a mile in the woods when scouting, mark it with the GPS, and walk right there in the dark without any issues. One spot I hunted was this little trail along this long straight road that was impossible to find driving in the dark at 55 mph, but I'd set the GPS and I'd know right where to park, hop out select the spot I wanted to hunt and then walk straight to it. That's actually the spot where my buddy saw what he swears was a wolf and he shot his first deer there.
SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yea but the pre2000 use was only turned on in 1997 I believe. Before that no civilians were using it and then in 2000 they removed the restrictions on it further.

Who's to say that they won't turn it off again? Also like I said before I bet there are safety switches in place that if the satellites aren't given the right commands they will assume the US government no longer exist and probably just cease to function. That's just my personal guess though. I doubt during a zombie apocalypse GPS will work for long.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177281.925006.jpg

Well, fucked up my dad's yard.
Glad I don't live here any more. lil brother gonna catch hell tho.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:39 am

:lol: My dad would kill me.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:I don't use em much at all anymore. I got one for the truck but chunked that **** in the back seat a few months ago after it pissed me off. Atlases are still the way to go. I didn't realize it was gov run but why wouldn't it be. They control everything else

I got one as a "present" for my wife because she can't read a map to save her life, so when she was navigating while I was driving, it was good for me :thumbsup:

I love them. Use them all the time. There is just so much convenience and so much information. A few button clicks and you have your gas stop or lunch stop set or whatever you want.

I'm not a big fan of google maps on my smartphone. Are there any better products out there?

BTW, I was talking about the old GPS and not the one for the car. That was great for any time you were hunting new territory. Find a good spot a mile in the woods when scouting, mark it with the GPS, and walk right there in the dark without any issues. One spot I hunted was this little trail along this long straight road that was impossible to find driving in the dark at 55 mph, but I'd set the GPS and I'd know right where to park, hop out select the spot I wanted to hunt and then walk straight to it. That's actually the spot where my buddy saw what he swears was a wolf and he shot his first deer there.

One of these days I'm sure I'll end up with a gps for hunting. It would seem I didn't inherit my fathers ability to memorize every fucking trail, path, road, whatever he's ever been on like my brother did. Which I hate because relying on any amount of unnecessary technology is a bad habit to fall into in my opinion.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:50 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Yarch!
Rick

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:54 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I thought you sold those?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Olly wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I thought you sold those?

Nope.
Why'd you think that?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Olly wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Olly wrote:

Yea but the pre2000 use was only turned on in 1997 I believe. Before that no civilians were using it and then in 2000 they removed the restrictions on it further.

Who's to say that they won't turn it off again? Also like I said before I bet there are safety switches in place that if the satellites aren't given the right commands they will assume the US government no longer exist and probably just cease to function. That's just my personal guess though. I doubt during a zombie apocalypse GPS will work for long.

I don't know. I just know that I was using the technology in the late 90's. I don't remember exactly when I got it and I think it was available for awhile before I got mine. Regardless, I hope we never find out whether they keep working or not during a zombie apocalypse.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2000276/a-brief-history-of-gps.html
1989 Magellan Corporation claims to be the first to market in the U.S. with a hand-held navigation device, the Magellan NAV 1000.

1990 Fearing military adversaries might use the GPS system to advantage, the Defense Department decides to deliberately decrease the accuracy of the system.

1994 The FAA and Bill Clinton tell the worldwide airline industry that can continue using the GPS system free of charge “for the foreseeable future.”

1995 The first rev of the GPS system was finally completed in 1995 when the last of a full “constellation” of 27 fully operational GPS satellites is launched into space. Of those 27, three were used as spares to quickly replace any of the 24 active satellites that failed. The satellites, which weighed between three- and four-thousand pounds, circled the globe twice a day. They were situated so that at least four of them were visible from any place on earth at any time of day.

The Duck Hammer wrote:One of these days I'm sure I'll end up with a gps for hunting. It would seem I didn't inherit my fathers ability to memorize every **** trail, path, road, whatever he's ever been on like my brother did. Which I hate because relying on any amount of unnecessary technology is a bad habit to fall into in my opinion.
But it is great when you go into a new area for the first time. Back where I grew up, I would have never thought of it, but wondering into a new forest for the first time, it's nice to have as a backup.

However, it would have been nice to have as backup the one time I went archery hunting in a snow storm. I knew the area like the back of my hand, but after spending the morning trying to stalk deer, there was only 50 yards of visibility, if that, and I simply had no idea which way was north. I ended up missing my truck by about 2 miles. :oops: I actually knew I was wrong long before that, but decided to keep going to hit the road and walk back that way as opposed to risk getting turned around with the low visibility.
SpinnerMan

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Think we disturbed this guys nap. First one I have ever seen along this canal.

203.JPG
Bufflehead

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:23 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:One of these days I'm sure I'll end up with a gps for hunting. It would seem I didn't inherit my fathers ability to memorize every **** trail, path, road, whatever he's ever been on like my brother did. Which I hate because relying on any amount of unnecessary technology is a bad habit to fall into in my opinion.
But it is great when you go into a new area for the first time. Back where I grew up, I would have never thought of it, but wondering into a new forest for the first time, it's nice to have as a backup.

However, it would have been nice to have as backup the one time I went archery hunting in a snow storm. I knew the area like the back of my hand, but after spending the morning trying to stalk deer, there was only 50 yards of visibility, if that, and I simply had no idea which way was north. I ended up missing my truck by about 2 miles. :oops: I actually knew I was wrong long before that, but decided to keep going to hit the road and walk back that way as opposed to risk getting turned around with the low visibility.

I will never have that problem as 1) a "blizzard" consists of about 2" of snow and 2) I generally avoid the stuff all together if possible. :lol: Me and dad went on a hunting trip on the Pat Mayse State Park I think it was about 5-6 years ago. We were on the unit we drew and dad decided we'd stalk around instead of setting up our stands like we normally did. Needless to say we got lost but dad didn't give a shit, Think we walked in a giant circle for about 5 hours. No idea how much ground we covered but he had no intention on stopping till we got out. :lol: Finally hit an old road and walked back to the truck to find my grandpa and brother laying next to it asleep. Good times.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Bufflehead wrote:Think we disturbed this guys nap. First one I have ever seen along this canal.

203.JPG

He's a dandy.
Rick

Postby Olly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Slow cooker chilli on tap for tomorrow. Love slow cooker food but hate the wait!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Bufflehead wrote:Think we disturbed this guys nap. First one I have ever seen along this canal.

203.JPG

He looks big enough to shoot
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Anybody hear about the cops getting shot in ferguson?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind