The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:21 am

Shoot 'em when they are standing still.

The challenge with ducks are you talking about ones dropping into the decoys, hauling ass out, crossing, flying toward you, away from you, hooking left, hooking right, ...

Often times there is a point where the bird will have near zero air speed and you can just put it on them if you are patient. Plan your shots and take the easiest one they will give you.

I use a sustained lead on crossing birds and pull through on some and pull ahead on others.

One of the best things I did was go to a wingshooting clinic with my brother. For anyone that hunts quite a bit, this is the best thing you can do. My Dad is a naturally very good shooter. I was not. Learning the right way to do it made a huge difference. It's a small investment with a huge benefit. I'm not a great shot because I don't practice, but I do pretty good. I used to be a terrible shot. Just one day made a huge improvement and the birds have been paying for it ever since.

Practicing mounting the gun is very important. I do that before I go hunting out of layouts because I only do that about once per year. I didn't do that before my last trip and I shot like hell. I know if I would have practiced mounting the gun while getting up from laying down, it would have helped.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:08 am

Rick wrote:
Coot83 wrote:Belly,beak,BANG!
but that's just me..I swing through em

Come on, everyone knows it's "Butt, bill, boom!" (Just the way I remember the old-timers' swing through saw.)

But I think I generally use the "pull ahead" method of starting on the bird and pulling ahead, which you've inadvertently described. I emphasized "think" because I really don't pay attention to what the gun's doing, just the bird. Have two guns of the same make and model with the same stock shims and do appreciably better with the old one that's front bead is long gone and have pretty much decided that even the relatively small factory bead on the new one is a distraction I'm better off without.

Or the choke tube is wore out. I'm convinced that's why my old nova drops birds like a champ. It's bead has come loose and spins. Sometimes it's dead on sometimes it's sideways. :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:41 pm

This place is dead as shit now guys. What happened?
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Just couldn't make it without you.
Rick

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:This place is dead as shit now guys. What happened?

Just like in high school, no longer the flavor of the week for the cool kids.
Bulldog0156

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 am

Going to go look at this on Monday when the seller gets back in town.

Trying to sell my Gator Trax and downsize to a sneak style boat. I hunt alone 99% of the time and all the people I hunt with have awesome duck boats like the one I have now.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am

You gonna be the redbeard of the south.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:34 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:You gonna be the redbeard of the south.

TDH I thought we were friends?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 am

And you put a motor on those things. It's not like what he does over on the west coast. I will probably put a 15hp short shaft on there if I can find one. It has a dodger that comes up and you lay it in.

That guy did a great job cammoing his Chuck Huff and I will try to copy his method.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:01 am

Cool looking boat Olly! Is that an Arthur Armstrong?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:21 am

Olly wrote:

TDH I thought we were friends?

Lol sorry guess that wasn't a nice thing to say.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:23 am

Hmm didn't realize they made boats like that that could hold a motor.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:24 pm

HAHAHAHA.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:54 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Hmm didn't realize they made boats like that that could hold a motor.

Yea call them sneak boxes they are very popular up in the NE. I've wanted one for a long time, my boat I have now is just too big for my hunting style.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Olly wrote:Going to go look at this on Monday when the seller gets back in town.

Trying to sell my Gator Trax and downsize to a sneak style boat. I hunt alone 99% of the time and all the people I hunt with have awesome duck boats like the one I have now.

That would be a sweet boat to have.
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Always wanted an AA Blackjack
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Olly wrote:That would be a sweet boat to have.

Hopefully Monday afternoon I'll have it in tow. I'm not even going to try and talk him down that much if it's in as good of shape has he says it is.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Always wanted an AA Blackjack

Just looked those up, pretty cool. I never knew there were so many different sneak box makers out there until I started researching the one I'm going to buy.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 pm

You could call it boat ramrod.
Bulldog0156

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Fucking refs bailed out the Packers tonight on a bullshit facemask call.
Bulldog0156

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:50 am

Rick wrote:Just couldn't make it without you.

Man I guess not
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Bad17 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:05 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:Fucking refs bailed out the Packers tonight on a bullshit facemask call.

X2
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Olly wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Hopefully Monday afternoon I'll have it in tow. I'm not even going to try and talk him down that much if it's in as good of shape has he says it is.

You get it?
Botiz630

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Olly wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

You get it?

The seller is out of town until Monday. Meeting him after work!
Olly
WFF Administrator

The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Shit, I don't know why I read that and thought you were taking about this afternoon.
Botiz630

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Shit, I don't know why I read that and thought you were taking about this afternoon.

I wish, I'm pretty excited about the little boat. Looks like a fun slower paced way to hunt and that's what I'm after.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:13 pm

I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on a used Blackjack 10 years ago, ended up with the 20' mod v instead...I'll own one someday
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby gock5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:Fucking refs bailed out the Packers tonight on a bullshit facemask call.

They've been robbed from bad calls a helluva lot more times...remember Fail Mary?
The Most Interesting Man In The World, REX "MOTHER ******" CHAPMAN!
gock5

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Doesn't make it any better. Sun decided to peek out this morning for the first time in 2 weeks or so. Trying to decide if I want to go fly fish the river or knock the dust off my ice fishing stuff.
Bulldog0156

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind