The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Goldfish » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Very limited people eat them, but usually you post on craigslist saying "I'll be at the ramp at such and such time. If you want free fish be there with a cooler" and you get Asian people to take them. My uncle takes mine for his large garden/small farm
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Olly wrote:I've never been bow fishing. I always wondered what happened to all those fish. I bet you could throw those into some compost and then rake in the cash from yuppies willing to pay out if the ass for all organic compost.

What other uses could you do with them? I'm not upset at all those fish were killed and then just buried. I'd just be looking how I can turn a good time into a good time that pays!

I know something that might not be something that pays, but something that could help the ecosystem...

The amount of biomass that is removed from the Great Lakes each year through fishing is incredible. Everything that is taken out has to be replaced some how... When a fish eats another fish the nutrients don't leave the closed system, but when humans keep their catch it removes nutrients from a system that has a limited source of replenishment. Fisherman should be required to discard their scraps back into the water they removed it from or a connecting water way. Problem is, the government outlaws that in a lot of places because rich people don't want dead fish on their beaches.
Last edited by Woody on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 am

I talked to some guys that killed carp during the day then used then for coyote bait at night. They had their truck bead about level when I saw em.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 am

Woody wrote:The amount of biomass that is removed from the Great Lakes each year through fishing is incredible. Everything that is taken out has to be replaced some how... When a fish eats another fish the nutrients don't leave the closed system, but when humans keep their catch it removes nutrients from a system that has a limited source of replenishment. Fisherman should be required to discard their scraps back into the water they removed it from or a connecting water way. Problem is, the government outlaws that in a lot of places because rich people don't want dead fish on their beaches.

Don't worry, all the sewage from all the cities around the lake replace those nutrients for you in the lake :thumbsup:

These are not closed systems. You have a massive amount of nutrients entering the system ever year. If it were not for all the zebra mussels, the great lakes would look a lot different.

What the common carp do is that they stir up a massive amount of silt. This does all kinds of destructive things. While the main body of the waterway or lake may be clear where most people fish and boat. You get back into the shallow bays where the small fish are born and raised and it silts over the eggs, deprives the oxygen, and is just very destructive. In a hard bottom system, they are not much of a problem, but any soft bottom system, they are a fucking disaster.

At my hunting/fishing club, we have several lakes. Weed control is a big problem in these shallow lakes because of the excess nutrients from the runoff as well as being shallow and warm up and get a lot of light. We fluridone (Sonar) the lakes on a cycle. Fluridone pretty much kills every weed. Not desirable, but the only thing that is really affordable. Nuke it, then we get a year or two of completely open. Good for the fishermen. Terrible for the young fish. Then the weeds come back pretty strong pretty quickly. We let it like that for a year or two. Good for recruitment of the little fish, but unfishable in the summer. This is our cycle and it seems to work pretty well.

The one lake. There are so many carp that we get a couple extra years out of the treatment because they keep the silt so stirred up that the plants don't grow well. Last fall I went around the entire lake inspecting duck blinds and the silt on the weeds was just horrible. Just a fucking mess. I'm going to put together a plan to try and hammer the carp population in that lake. We've done this before with good success. Basically pay the member to catch and kill the carp.
SpinnerMan

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Woody wrote:The amount of biomass that is removed from the Great Lakes each year through fishing is incredible. Everything that is taken out has to be replaced some how... When a fish eats another fish the nutrients don't leave the closed system, but when humans keep their catch it removes nutrients from a system that has a limited source of replenishment. Fisherman should be required to discard their scraps back into the water they removed it from or a connecting water way. Problem is, the government outlaws that in a lot of places because rich people don't want dead fish on their beaches.

Don't worry, all the sewage from all the cities around the lake replace those nutrients for you in the lake :thumbsup:

These are not closed systems. You have a massive amount of nutrients entering the system ever year. If it were not for all the zebra mussels, the great lakes would look a lot different.

What the common carp do is that they stir up a massive amount of silt. This does all kinds of destructive things. While the main body of the waterway or lake may be clear where most people fish and boat. You get back into the shallow bays where the small fish are born and raised and it silts over the eggs, deprives the oxygen, and is just very destructive. In a hard bottom system, they are not much of a problem, but any soft bottom system, they are a fucking disaster.

At my hunting/fishing club, we have several lakes. Weed control is a big problem in these shallow lakes because of the excess nutrients from the runoff as well as being shallow and warm up and get a lot of light. We fluridone (Sonar) the lakes on a cycle. Fluridone pretty much kills every weed. Not desirable, but the only thing that is really affordable. Nuke it, then we get a year or two of completely open. Good for the fishermen. Terrible for the young fish. Then the weeds come back pretty strong pretty quickly. We let it like that for a year or two. Good for recruitment of the little fish, but unfishable in the summer. This is our cycle and it seems to work pretty well.

The one lake. There are so many carp that we get a couple extra years out of the treatment because they keep the silt so stirred up that the plants don't grow well. Last fall I went around the entire lake inspecting duck blinds and the silt on the weeds was just horrible. Just a fucking mess. I'm going to put together a plan to try and hammer the carp population in that lake. We've done this before with good success. Basically pay the member to catch and kill the carp.

Oh for sure the muscles are the biggest problem, and no it is not a completely closed system (nothing in nature is), but last I read there are more nutrients removed than put back in.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 am

Woody wrote:Oh for sure the muscles are the biggest problem, and no it is not a completely closed system (nothing in nature is), but last I read there are more nutrients removed than put back in.

The funny thing is that Chicago fought the expansion of the refinery in Indiana because it would put nutrients into the lake :lol:

I agree that the lakes would not be hurt by more nutrients, but I'm pretty sure it is a small secondary issue at most. We could easily add a lot more nutrients, but our so-called environmentalists are really radical Puritans that oppose all human activity. If man does it, it is harmful. If Gaea does it, then it is perfect. They don't believe in managing the environment. They believe in treating it like the Virgin Mary.
SpinnerMan

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:06 am

Olly wrote:I've never been bow fishing. I always wondered what happened to all those fish. I bet you could throw those into some compost and then rake in the cash from yuppies willing to pay out if the ass for all organic compost.

What other uses could you do with them? I'm not upset at all those fish were killed and then just buried. I'd just be looking how I can turn a good time into a good time that pays!

They put off the most God awful stick when they are rotting. If I had a place away from people where I could dump them in with some other compost without smelling it I would. This is the best option I've come up with so far
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am

And I've heard they have really high levels of mercury and some other kind of metal in them. So not really all that good to grow your food in.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:36 am

And if you bury them in your garden and the dog digs one up and eats it Image

Just imagine that Chessie in my avatar with dead carp breath. Not good. Let me tell you.

Sadly, I will be able to fertilize my garden safely with them this year :(

SpinnerMan

Postby Duckdog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I used to work around this guy from time to time, and I had him put a new furnace in my house, but other than that, I don't really "know" him...
But I'd heard through the grape vine that he "guides" these bowfishing trips, and has somehow turned all of those carp into some kind of liquid fertilizer business and was also told that he was doing pretty good at it. Again...hearsay.

This is all I could come up with from a quick google search, and for some reason you have to answer 2-3 survey questions to read it.
http://host.madison.com/sports/recreati ... 03286.html
Duckdog

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Duckdog wrote:I used to work around this guy from time to time, and I had him put a new furnace in my house, but other than that, I don't really "know" him...
But I'd heard through the grape vine that he "guides" these bowfishing trips, and has somehow turned all of those carp into some kind of liquid fertilizer business and was also told that he was doing pretty good at it. Again...hearsay.

This is all I could come up with from a quick google search, and for some reason you have to answer 2-3 survey questions to read it.
http://host.madison.com/sports/recreati ... 03286.html

At our big bowfishing tournament, a company that does something like this drops off a refrigerated trailer to collect our fish. Some other regulars which I haven't seen in awhile were doing the same thing as this guy. They would take all the fish home from our smaller tournaments and a boat full from our big tournament. These are kind of boutique things. If they are good at marketing, they can do OK, but the reality is that we are talking about an insane amount of fish that commercial fisherman can go out and haul in 10,000 lbs or more in a day without any effort. The problem is they are worth about 10 cents a lb and probably costs most of them more than that to catch them. Illinois is pretty active at trying to create a real commercial market for them, but so far, I don't think anything really works.

http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=27&ArticleID=25726

The battle line stretches along 40 miles of the Illinois River, from the Starved Rock Lock and Dam upstream past Morris to within 10 miles of an electric carp barrier.
This is the front in the state’s fight against Asian carp. Over 2½ years the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and state-contracted commercial fishermen have removed more than 500 tons of bighead and silver Asian carp from the Illinois River. In 68 days last fall, the DNR and fishermen netted and removed 248 tons, according to the DNR.

This is the stretch of the river that I fish and have fished for about a decade now. There is no shortage of asian carp. I can go out any day and see massive schools of them, particularly right above the starved rock dam, which is probably my favorite place to fish. I tend to avoid them unless I'm fishing a tournament and they will help me out or if it's slow and I just want to shoot something. If they happen by, I shoot every one, but if I wanted to I could troll around schools of thousands and shoot at them endlessly. I much prefer to target the large numbers of grass carp in the area. Another wonderful invasive species that has cleaned out most of the vegetation from the river in that area. I've actually seen them partially out of the water to reach grass just above the water line.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:30 pm

The rain just keeps falling!!
DComeaux

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:35 pm

DComeaux wrote:The rain just keeps falling!!

You aint kidding. Raining for an entire week now.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Olly wrote:

I forget that you're in Mobile. You guys have had a lot out that way.
DComeaux

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:46 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Olly wrote:

I forget that you're in Mobile. You guys have had a lot out that way.

Downtown is flooded out. My yard is a swamp. Its been bad.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby blockmaker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:12 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Filled in the first grave of the year
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429155825.937107.jpg

Thanks Nuff. Wish more were like you. Put in here last Saturday at a well built state ramp with docks and piers, and some douchebag bow fishermen just dumped a pile at the ramp. Literally had to hold my breath to launch boat. It's a huge problem here!
blockmaker

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:58 pm

blockmaker wrote:

Thanks Nuff. Wish more were like you. Put in here last Saturday at a well built state ramp with docks and piers, and some douchebag bow fishermen just dumped a pile at the ramp. Literally had to hold my breath to launch boat. It's a huge problem here!

That's a big problem everywhere. It really gives the sport a bad name. We actually had signs made and posted at a number of the popular ramps because of the pigs that were doing just that. There is one are where on any weekend when it is decent, there will likely be a dozen or more boats bowfishing in the area. It only takes one moron to do it one time to make a big stinking mess.

Seriously, what are these people thinking. It's not acceptable, but better. Just drive and pick any random field far from anybody. At least you don't make a mess for everybody else that uses that ramp. I think they rationalize that the raccoon will get them. One MAYBE, but that's a lot of raccoon to haul away even a half dozen big fish before they are a rotting mess. It would be even better to just toss them back in the water when you shoot them. At least then they would be scattered all over the place and not in one big stinking rotting nasty pile.
SpinnerMan

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm

blockmaker wrote:

I understand some people don't have a place to dispose. If you really have to dump, which is illegal, at least be smart and courteous about it. There is plenty of places to dump fish where no one will ever know. I don't care where you are.
People like the ones you talk about give a sport that should be positive to fisherman a bad name.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby blockmaker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm

It's all about ego, they come back to ramp, line up the fish, take pics to put on their Facebook page, and just leave them laying. I'm with spinner, throw back in main channel.
blockmaker

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 pm

blockmaker wrote:It's all about ego, they come back to ramp, line up the fish, take pics to put on their Facebook page, and just leave them laying. I'm with spinner, throw back in main channel.

You also just described most duck hunters.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Made a 67.5 on my chemistry test last night. Highest test this semester. :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:58 pm

You're definitely the sharpest knife from the drawer, at least that's what common core would want you to believe.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:58 pm

assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey I've got D in the class so I couldn't be happier.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:34 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:Hey I've got D in the class so I couldn't be happier.

D=Degree
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:57 am

I hear that's all that matters.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:23 am

What do you call the person with the lowest grade point average in medical school?....................Dr.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:42 am

Haha
R. Chapman

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 am

I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:07 am

What happened last night...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429276068.830332.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
R. Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind