The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Goldfish wrote:Just cuz a bama boy don't know how to drive in the snow...

I'm a Georgian not an Alabaman..

I don't mean it physically screws up your steering components, I mean you push into corners because your front tires are trying to apply forward/slowing forces instead of just steering. It's boring. You have to go all slow around corners for fear of diving head first into the ditch unless you initiate a 4 wheel drift before the corner which not many people know how to do

So you're only argument against using 4wd is that it's boring or requires you to... I dunno drive like your car is operating with all 4 wheels producing power?

You should use 4wd when road conditions present a greater chance of loosing traction due to a lower coefficient of friction. Period.

Pretending you know how to drive on an unpredictable surface and don't need 4wd will just lead to disaster sooner or later.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11 pm

DixieDawg wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Thinking about getting a Ruger LCR this summer. Anybody have/messed with one?

It's a decent revolver personally I prefer the smith but that's just me

I didn't realize it was a polymer frame. An all steel smith is almost the price of a Colt New Agent so I'll probably get one of those.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Olly wrote:

I don't mean it physically screws up your steering components, I mean you push into corners because your front tires are trying to apply forward/slowing forces instead of just steering. It's boring. You have to go all slow around corners for fear of diving head first into the ditch unless you initiate a 4 wheel drift before the corner which not many people know how to do

So you're only argument against using 4wd is that it's boring or requires you to... I dunno drive like your car is operating with all 4 wheels producing power?

You should use 4wd when road conditions present a greater chance of loosing traction due to a lower coefficient of friction. Period.

Pretending you know how to drive on an unpredictable surface and don't need 4wd will just lead to disaster sooner or later.

Olly breaking out the physics.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DixieDawg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
DixieDawg wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Thinking about getting a Ruger LCR this summer. Anybody have/messed with one?

It's a decent revolver personally I prefer the smith but that's just me

I didn't realize it was a polymer frame. An all steel smith is almost the price of a Colt New Agent so I'll probably get one of those.

The new agent is a fine firearm you won't be disappointed
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 am

Olly wrote:

That lower coefficient of friction is exactly why you shouldn't be using the steering wheels for momentum. A tire can only give you so much friction. If you are using part of that for forward momentum, you have drastically reduced your ability to control your side to side friction.

And my bad about the Georgia/Alabama thing
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 am

Goldfish wrote:That lower coefficient of friction is exactly why you shouldn't be using the steering wheels for momentum. A tire can only give you so much friction. If you are using part of that for forward momentum, you have drastically reduced your ability to control your side to side friction.

That makes no sense. In 2wd on ice/snow roads your front tires might as well be skis. They are doing the same about of work as static skis would be. In 4wd they can and do add to the total traction by applying negative force to the surface of the road.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:52 am

Obviously 4WD does not help you stop and I'm pretty skeptical that it helps you make a corner. Getting up hills, of course. Most of the challenges of snow driving are not moving forward, but stopping or changing course.

I've never looked into it, but it would seem that 4WD would not help corner at all and could possible help break your steering tires loose that you need to be rolling so you can steer and not sliding skis which is the thing you worry about and what puts you in the ditch.

Get up a hill, absolutely, but around a corner or down a hill. I just don't see it.

I'm on the side of drive around in 2WD even in bad weather unless you are dealing with hills. The 4WD is less likely to help you once you have lost all your momentum.

Not a lot of hills around here to worry about so I rarely use the 4WD.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:03 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Obviously 4WD does not help you stop and I'm pretty skeptical that it helps you make a corner. Getting up hills, of course. Most of the challenges of snow driving are not moving forward, but stopping or changing course.

I've never looked into it, but it would seem that 4WD would not help corner at all and could possible help break your steering tires loose that you need to be rolling so you can steer and not sliding skis which is the thing you worry about and what puts you in the ditch.

Get up a hill, absolutely, but around a corner or down a hill. I just don't see it.

I'm on the side of drive around in 2WD even in bad weather unless you are dealing with hills. The 4WD is less likely to help you once you have lost all your momentum.

The big hills north of Mcallister were a bitch. We got through them fine but the other people driving scared us. Little cars that decided that they could do whatever they wanted were a fucking nerve wrecker. The whole time I was waiting for one to slide into the truck and knock us all off the damn road.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Obviously 4WD does not help you stop and I'm pretty skeptical that it helps you make a corner. Getting up hills, of course. Most of the challenges of snow driving are not moving forward, but stopping or changing course.

Y'all better jump on spinners ass or is the word of second Mechanical Engineer enough to covey that 4WD doesn't help that much in winter driving?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 am

Spinner doesn't know shit. Engineers can't be that smart, hell Woody is one...

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:14 am

In all seriousness I have slid around corners less in 4 wheel drive than in a 2 wheel drive. But this could also be due to the fact that a 4 wheel drive vehicle is heavier and typically has better tires.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 am

Thankfully, I've probably forgotten a lot more about driving on snow than I remember, like lining my 2wd truck bed with cinderblocks for the winter, but I'm also old enough to remember the first front wheel drive Toronados being the rage among Great Lakes snow belt salesmen and leaving the rest of us in their slush.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 am

Woody wrote:

Y'all better jump on spinners ass or is the word of second Mechanical Engineer enough to covey that 4WD doesn't help that much in winter driving?

Sorry, but I'm a nuclear engineer. We are outside of my field by a long shot. Just talking from experience of living and driving around in the snow for almost 30 years. OK, and maybe a little undergraduate physics, but not claiming any particular knowledge on this one.

Rick wrote:I'm also old enough to remember the first front wheel drive Toronados being the rage among Great Lakes snow belt salesmen and leaving the rest of us in their slush.
At one point my wife had a front wheel drive honda and I had a rear wheel drive ranger. When it snowed, we took the honda. We didn't have 500 lbs of cinder blocks to put weight over the drive wheels.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:10 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:At one point my wife had a front wheel drive honda and I had a rear wheel drive ranger. When it snowed, we took the honda. We didn't have 500 lbs of cinder blocks to put weight over the drive wheels.

Had a little Honda Civic wagon for a while, myself. Super in the snow, fun and cheap to drive, more dependable than my then-wife's Toyota and worlds easier to work on. You'd of thought Honda made its engineers be technicians first. Just didn't have enough space for all my crap or the ground clearance for some of the oil or logging roads I turkey or grouse hunted. Used to think that if Honda ever made a pickup, I'd be first in line.
Rick

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:41 pm

If 4wd doesn't help you make corners better then I guess all those rally racers using AWD/4WD cars to make sharp turns on the loose soil of the tracks they race are just wasting their money huh?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 pm

My Explorer has full time all wheel squeal and it sticks to the road like glue.
I hardly ever put my F150 in 4wd while on the road.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Olly wrote:If 4wd doesn't help you make corners better then I guess all those rally racers using AWD/4WD cars to make sharp turns on the loose soil of the tracks they race are just wasting their money huh?

It would help accelerate on the straight in loose dirt after sliding around the corners :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I don't see that as proof it helps on the corner since we know for certain it would help on the straight parts of the track.

As I said, I don't know. I'm skeptical and still so.
SpinnerMan

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Olly wrote:If 4wd doesn't help you make corners better then I guess all those rally racers using AWD/4WD cars to make sharp turns on the loose soil of the tracks they race are just wasting their money huh?

Improves Dry Handling: This only applies to AWD vehicles with torque vectoring. The AWD version of the 2013 Acura TL is one example. Acura's "Super Handling All Wheel Drive" (SH-AWD) distributes torque to all four wheels, using a pair of electromagnetic clutches to freely regulate torque distribution between the rear wheels. This system is one of the rare cases when AWD can help with cornering.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/do-you-need-an-all-wheel-drive-or-four-wheel-drive-car.html
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm

I will be more than willing to give you the boring physics explanation in person, but it is to hard to type out and explain with out visuals.
It has to do with the relative speed of the steering tire with regards to the road. With a 2WD vehicle the tire is motionless from the perspective of the road and the 4WD tire is not.
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

It's the reason Anti Lock breaks exist.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 pm

You guys do what you want but I'd rather putz around town on icy roads with my 4wd on. I did it for 5 winters and it worked awesome. Never had to worry about it I was going to go straight instead of turn, never had to worry about getting a good start from a stand still. In my experience of 5 EUP winters 4wd worked a lot better than rear wheeled 2wd any day and I will always have it anytime I travel in fresh icy/snowy conditions at normal around town speeds.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Opposing physics is a dangerous game.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Woody wrote:Opposing physics is a dangerous game.

The only time I had a traffic accident up there I was in 2wd. :thumbsup:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:37 pm

In other news they just told us if the DHS budget isn't passed tonight I won't be getting paid on the 15th.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Holy shit, I looked just 3 days ago at some ammo online and now all the .223 ammo is gone.

Because of this

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Olly wrote:Holy shit, I looked just 3 days ago at some ammo online and now all the .223 ammo is gone.

Because of this

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750

Is this real? I can never tell these days when it is something like this.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:59 pm

YES! I'm watching all the major ammo retailers literally sell all their .223 right now. I just boguth another 2000 rounds. When I added it to my shopping cart they had 64 in stock and in the 5 minutes it took to check out they were down to 30 or so. All the .223 in this country will be dried up or way over priced within the next two hours.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Olly wrote:YES! I'm watching all the major ammo retailers literally sell all their .223 right now. I just boguth another 2000 rounds. When I added it to my shopping cart they had 64 in stock and in the 5 minutes it took to check out they were down to 30 or so. All the .223 in this country will be dried up or way over priced within the next two hours.

Great! (said sarcastically)
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:05 pm

I read the outline attached to the article and it only mentions 5.56. Maybe I am just being hopeful, but that makes me think .223 is safe until they realize their error.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Woody wrote:I read the outline attached to the article and it only mentions 5.56. Maybe I am just being hopeful, but that makes me think .223 is safe until they realize their error.

Yea but most people don't care. And I'm only saying buy it purely for monitory gain. I'm going to take that 2000 rds and triple my money once it's all gone just like after Sandy Hook. If I'm wrong and the .223 market doesn't dry up again I'll just have 2000 rds on hand.
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind