The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Olly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:00 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Got a job offer from Tyson.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:What's the deal with all you souther guys!?! No one could kill ducks this year?

Sucked. My guys only killed 1,100 or so.

What's a normal year?

I was being facetious. That's pretty much par for the eight seasons I've now tracked. All inclusive, they've run from 976 to 1,325. Last year was 988, and this one will be 1,111 if I don't get any madder at the geese, so I ain't kicking too hard.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:37 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:She ain't peaches and cream here either. You pretty much described how the mallards are here on the bay. I only had 2 limit hunts and one was with 10 buffies and 2 bb. The other was a nice mixed bag.
At the end of the year I was getting a few solo 4 mallard limits. But those birds are dumb and decoy nice. And I was shooting good. But I worked my ass off scouting, busting ice and putting out decoys by myself for 4 ducks.

That sounds like peaches and cream to me.

I have NEVER had a limit duck hunt in my life. Closest I came was 4 mallards, 1 black, and missed a shoveler that buzzed us. Not even that many 4 mallard days.
SpinnerMan

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:What's the deal with all you souther guys!?! No one could kill ducks this year?

Sucked. My guys only killed 1,100 or so.

What's a normal year?

I was being facetious. That's pretty much par for the eight seasons I've now tracked. All inclusive, they've run from 976 to 1,325. Last year was 988, and this one will be 1,111 if I don't get any madder at the geese, so I ain't kicking too hard.

That's some pretty consistent killing from year to year.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:She ain't peaches and cream here either. You pretty much described how the mallards are here on the bay. I only had 2 limit hunts and one was with 10 buffies and 2 bb. The other was a nice mixed bag.
At the end of the year I was getting a few solo 4 mallard limits. But those birds are dumb and decoy nice. And I was shooting good. But I worked my ass off scouting, busting ice and putting out decoys by myself for 4 ducks.

I have NEVER had a limit duck hunt in my life. Closest I came was 4 mallards, 1 black, and missed a shoveler that buzzed us. Not even that many 4 mallard days.

This year was my first limit hunt. Divers are fairly easy to get a limit on if you do your homework. Puddle ducks are a bit more difficult because they are pressured so much harder. Me and my dad got our 12 on the second week of the season, which usually is terrible hunting. We just got in a good spot I had scouted birds in a week prior to the opener. And everything worked. But we still hunted for over 7 hours to get our 12 and we didn't miss much. We had maybe 25 ducks finish total in 7 hours.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby blockmaker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Very few days this year with full blind limits. Ended up with 631. Last ten years we averaged around 1200. :cry:
blockmaker

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Got a job offer from Tyson.

Pretty much
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Just left the Cobb party. At a karaoke bar now. They won't let a few of us sit at the bar.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Woody » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

This year was my first limit hunt. Divers are fairly easy to get a limit on if you do your homework. Puddle ducks are a bit more difficult because they are pressured so much harder. Me and my dad got our 12 on the second week of the season, which usually is terrible hunting. We just got in a good spot I had scouted birds in a week prior to the opener. And everything worked. But we still hunted for over 7 hours to get our 12 and we didn't miss much. We had maybe 25 ducks finish total in 7 hours.

It's always greener...
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Just left the Cobb party. At a karaoke bar now. They won't let a few of us sit at the bar.

Wtf is a Cobb party?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Deltaman wrote:Nuff, if you had any idea how few ducks we get on the AL coast, how hard we have to hunt to kill'em, and the legions of new duck commanders that have joined the ranks in the last 2 years, you would have a much better understanding. Our resource isn't getting any bigger, but our user group has exploded. I actually had a fair season, but worked my fanny off through the end, sometimes until sunset. Didn't post much about it because it pales in comparison to most of the hunts that get posted on here, and seemed like every time I started to post a hunt, had problems with Photobucket (the picture hosting site I use). 90% of the ducks we get here are Gadwalls, and they learn real fast, rafting up in the open waters of the bay, and coming in at dark to feed. The only decent days to hunt with bird movement in our delta are caused buy a strong South wind, as that is what it takes to get them off the open water. A strong North wind just pushes them to the head of the open waters of the bay, very frustrating. Been hunting ducks here since I was a tike, will be 58 this year, and the changes over the past few years are humbling. There is no daylight flight to speak of any more, very depressing. Almost all private land is leased out to deer hunters, and most of them do not appreciate the hunting of ducks during deer season. There are exceptions, but very few. I hunted almost every Saturday and Sunday, as well as a few vacation days and most holidays, and killed more than most, but nothing compared to some of the hunts by you, leg band, Rick, etc........ I only had 5 limit hunts, and two of them were in LA. Most hunts averaged between 4-8 ducks, and again mostly Gadwalls. I was able to kill a few Mottles, and could've killed a lot more (found'em packed in a few marsh holes), but with a limit of 1 ea, kinda frustrating. Mix in a few teal, spoonies and bluebills, and there you have it. We will kill an occasional Mallard, Pintail, Red head or Canvasback, but they are like the hyperactive kid thatupup gets a gold star in 3rd grade......... rare! No matter, I'll chase'm as long as I can..........love dat chit!

Yup, all of this the reason I hunted less this year than in the past 6 years.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Are you guys that crowded out down there on weekdays too? I almost never hunt Saturday's and Sunday's because of all the people. If my schedule ever keeps me from hunting weekdays, I'll do very little duck hunting. I hope that never happens.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 pm

I won a shotgun in the DU calendar raffle today..

I chuckle about guys with seasons just wrapping up now, when we are essentially only 8 months away from early goose & teal and we've been shutdown for near 2 months already
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 pm

We just shut down and are also roughly 8 months from early teal and goose.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Just left the Cobb party. At a karaoke bar now. They won't let a few of us sit at the bar.

Wtf is a Cobb party?

Cobb-Vantress primary poultry breeder.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 am

These Georgia Bulldogs ain't bad guys. Happy to meet em.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Wtf is a Cobb party?

Cobb-Vantress primary poultry breeder.

They threw it. Free food and beer.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby sws002 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I won a shotgun in the DU calendar raffle today..

I chuckle about guys with seasons just wrapping up now, when we are essentially only 8 months away from early goose & teal and we've been shutdown for near 2 months already

You still have late goose for a bit don't you?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:35 am

Yah...forgot that since I don't generally participate in that season
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

It's always greener...

And sometimes it really is.

Living here in the Chicago suburbs. I just don't find it worth the headache to try to get access or hunt the public spots, so I just accept that I'm not going to kill as many ducks as I could. I have no headache hunting at a club 5 minutes from my house. When duck hunting is better, I hunt ducks. When it is not, I hunt deer.
SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 am

Because you need another shotgun :lol: congrats.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Are you guys that crowded out down there on weekdays too? I almost never hunt Saturday's and Sunday's because of all the people. If my schedule ever keeps me from hunting weekdays, I'll do very little duck hunting. I hope that never happens.

Nuff, there is somebody hunting every bay, every day........unbelievable! It's no wonder the birds only refuge is to keep moving South, or raft up in open water. We used to have the season in the majority of our delta as hunting only Thurs-Sunday, and only until 12:00 noon. It gave the ducks a rest for several days, and every afternoon. I was a big proponent of being able to hunt any day, and was elated when they changed the law. My reasoning was that we got screwed out of a lot of hunting days. In hindsight, it was not a good move, and we are paying the piper now. With the new DD crowd that has popped out of the woodwork, surface drives galore, and some want to run THROUGH the ducks sitting on the water, just to see them,.........because they can! We had a similar problem with airboats back in the late 70's, and they were outlawed 30 days before, and during duck season, because of a few bad apples.......... I am hoping that we can get back to something similar to what we used to have, and it would not be a bad idea to take one of our centrally located bays with grass, and make it either off limits, or at least non-motorized. Otherwise, I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Woody » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Be honest, it's rigged, Isn't it?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby DixieDawg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Think this is fitting my youngest is getting to that age
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Needing a shotgun has nothing to do with it...sold one just like it 4 months ago, will likely do the same with this one.

As far as rigging...with $200 of calendars, it's not exactly like I didn't have better than average odds and my "free" $300 gun cost me....???
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:24 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422570141.166008.jpg

Beyond a pain in the ass. At least the guy who builds them will talk to you on the phone about a 16 year old motor that was bought second hand and tell you how to work in it. A+ service right there.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Woody » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:24 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Needing a shotgun has nothing to do with it...sold one just like it 4 months ago, will likely do the same with this one.

As far as rigging...with $200 of calendars, it's not exactly like I didn't have better than average odds and my "free" $300 gun cost me....???

I was joking... If memory serves me you won a shotgun too long ago.
Woody

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Beyond a pain in the ass. At least the guy who builds them will talk to you on the phone about a 16 year old motor that was bought second hand and tell you how to work in it. A+ service right there.

Did that a few years ago on my 25hp Kohler. Wasn't too bad.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Woody wrote:
I was joking... If memory serves me you won a shotgun too long ago.

I think he was talking to me.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Olly wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Did that a few years ago on my 25hp Kohler. Wasn't too bad.

This motor hasn't been maintained very well. The end of the shaft was mushroomed like someone had hit it with a hammer. Had to cut a couple threads off with the zip wheel and then chase the rest to even get the prop off. Also had to split the jam but with a chisel to get the pressure off the prop so it would turn. Coco gets a lot of shit talked on him over at MMT but he's a good guy in my book. I've talked to him twice on the phone now and he's gona repitch my prop for me from a 9x5 to a 9x6.
FlintRiverFowler

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind