Random Pictures

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Random Pictures

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am

ohioduck wrote:Banded park ducks

IMG_20150324_174557_216.jpg

Thump, thump.
Rick

Postby ohioduck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 am

Rick wrote:

Thump, thump.

There were a bunch. I'd have a had a lanyard like foiles if I had an airgun
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:50 am

No sticks in that park?
Rick

Postby ohioduck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:53 am

Rick wrote:No sticks in that park?

A lady and her kids were feeding them that day. I have a shovel in the truck incase I make it back and no one is there .
ohioduck

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:46 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427996716.747757.jpg

Pair of blue wings I saw the other day at work. Picture isn't great but that's the first time I'd ever seen a colored out drake.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm

My only mallard band is a certified park duck from the wilds of Glen Ellyn, IL. Bread fed ducks taste good. :mrgreen:

There's a pair of Canadas that I see all the time near where I hunt. One banded on the left leg and one on the right. I think that would make a nice double :thumbsup:

I need to get some pictures. The Bufflehead show up on the pond across my house most springs. There were a few there the other day and I think there was also a pair of bluebills, but I was driving and can't say for sure, but wouldn't be the first time.
SpinnerMan

Postby ohioduck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

My only mallard band is a certified park duck from the wilds of Glen Ellyn, IL. Bread fed ducks taste good. :mrgreen:

There's a pair of Canadas that I see all the time near where I hunt. One banded on the left leg and one on the right. I think that would make a nice double :thumbsup:

I need to get some pictures. The Bufflehead show up on the pond across my house most springs. There were a few there the other day and I think there was also a pair of bluebills, but I was driving and can't say for sure, but wouldn't be the first time.

I havent seen any banded geese at the park.
ohioduck

Postby ohioduck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:40 pm

I don't know whats up with this ones bill. But he is cool

IMG_20150324_174357_984.jpg
ohioduck

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm

ohioduck wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I havent seen any banded geese at the park.

They band lots of geese around us. We see them all the time. The most I counted in one day was a dozen. Everybody has at least a few local goose bands.
SpinnerMan

Postby Goldfish » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:23 am

ohioduck wrote:I don't know whats up with this ones bill. But he is cool

IMG_20150324_174357_984.jpg

I'd imagine those farm ducks have something to do with it
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:04 am

SpinnerMan wrote:They band lots of geese around us. We see them all the time. The most I counted in one day was a dozen. Everybody has at least a few local goose bands.

I was a young waterfowler in SE Ohio at a time when the reintroduction of giant Canadas was still a big deal, and it seemed like every third bird we shot there was banded, so I came to think of the banded birds as less wild or used birds, rather than something special. Not sure if I ever even considered wearing them myself, but know I never did and was happy to pass them to a fellow from Memphis, who I thought might wet himself over getting to clean out that much of my miscellaneous drawer. Haven't saved one any longer than it took to pass it to a kid with a call lanyard since. But it does tickle me to see that little bit of where they've been.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:They band lots of geese around us. We see them all the time. The most I counted in one day was a dozen. Everybody has at least a few local goose bands.

I was a young waterfowler in SE Ohio at a time when the reintroduction of giant Canadas was still a big deal, and it seemed like every third bird we shot there was banded, so I came to think of the banded birds as less wild or used birds, rather than something special. Not sure if I ever even considered wearing them myself, but know I never did and was happy to pass them to a fellow from Memphis, who I thought might wet himself over getting to clean out that much of my miscellaneous drawer. Haven't saved one any longer than it took to pass it to a kid with a call lanyard since. But it does tickle me to see that little bit of where they've been.

I think we are around 1 out 10 bands on the geese. I really want one that doesn't come back Caton Farm, IL. Which isn't where they are actually banded, but for some reason they report all the geese in our area that way.

However, I got a truly unique band a few years back.

SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:56 am

What was the study doing? Just seeing how far they travel?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:15 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Rick wrote:

I think we are around 1 out 10 bands on the geese. I really want one that doesn't come back Caton Farm, IL. Which isn't where they are actually banded, but for some reason they report all the geese in our area that way.

However, I got a truly unique band a few years back.

So that fish ate a duck or goose and got the leg band caught in it's lip. Good thing you got that abomination out of the gene pool.
ohioduck

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 am

Olly wrote:What was the study doing? Just seeing how far they travel?

That is a silver carp, the jumping kind, one of the asian carp that are infesting the Mississippi River system. This one was in the Illinois River just above the Starved Rock Dam. Maybe 4 or 5 locks away from Lake Michigan. My guess is what they are trying to study is movement through the locks. A buddy got one with a radio transmitter in it. Funny thing was he didn't know it and only saw the band in the lip. He reported it and they said it had a transmitter and they would like it back. He said you are free to go look through the garbage :thumbsup:

If they were look for harvest data, I tried to make it clear to the lady that that fish was swimming funny and that is the only reason I saw and shot it. The other two bands I know of taken in the same area were the same thing. The fish weren't swimming right and that is what got them whacked.

They were supposed to be reward bands. When I called it in, the lady tried to talk me out of my $5. I really didn't care, but thought it was funny. So I said, no, I'll take my $5. It never showed, never showed, and then one day out of the blue I got this in the mail, with no explanation, just in a box. I guess I'm not getting my 5 bucks :lol: Actually, I like that better.

Cup.jpg

There were a number of Bufflehead and Bluebills on the pond across from my house. However, I think that is going to be expensive. I need a better camera. This is the best I could do.

B&B.jpg

Here's a little better one of some of the bluebills.

BB.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 am

SpinnerMan wrote:He said you are free to go look through the garbage :thumbsup:

Have you tried eating them? Saw a piece on the TV the other day that said they were fine table fare, "like cod," if memory serves.
Rick

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 am

ohioduck

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:45 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:He said you are free to go look through the garbage :thumbsup:

Have you tried eating them? Saw a piece on the TV the other day that said they were fine table fare, "like cod," if memory serves.

They are good to eat, but boney as hell and an odd bone structure so you can't get a boneless fillet. Got to get them on ice quick because they get soft. It's a white flakey meat. Like cod, meaning not especially good, but not bad, is probably a fair description.

However, you can get a boat load if you want. What do you do with a boat load?

We had a big tournament a few years ago and conditions were perfect. Thirty boats and probably only half were targeting numbers and the total for one night was over 15,000 fish. Top boat was over 4,000. They literally filled their boat 3 times. Now probably 95% jumped in the boat.

If you put any effort into it, you simply get way more than you can ever use.

I HATE bones in my fish. One bone and I want to toss the whole damn thing. It's one of those quirks.

Last time I shot a few, I decided to try something. I filleted them out and ran them through my grinder TWICE. Made up some fish cakes :thumbsup: Not nearly as good as gar, which is my quarry of choice for the table when bowfishing.
SpinnerMan

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Wonder if you could run one thru the smoker?
ohioduck

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:28 pm

ohioduck wrote:Wonder if you could run one thru the smoker?

I'm pretty sure one of my buddies smokes some of them every year.
SpinnerMan

Postby flyn88 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:19 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

I smoke a few every year. Usually with an oar.
flyn88

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:51 am

flyn88 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here, but when I see videos of people shooting them and hitting them with baseball bats it kinda makes me wish we had a few. :lol:
I couldn't imagine running 50-60 plus on a jet ski and taking a 30 lb carp to the face. Would hurt you bad im sure.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
flyn88 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here, but when I see videos of people shooting them and hitting them with baseball bats it kinda makes me wish we had a few. :lol:
I couldn't imagine running 50-60 plus on a jet ski and taking a 30 lb carp to the face. Would hurt you bad im sure.

It is a crazy thing and I think everybody should give it a try, but the novelty wears off because they make a freaking mess out of your boat, everything that can get broke does.

The good thing is that when the sun comes up, they tend to go down, and if you are running with any speed they will jump behind the boat. My boat is not ideal because what you want is a high rpm and low speed to get them jumping for shooting. Thankfully, they don't screw up recreational boating. Also the big ones don't usually jump. I've seen 20 lb'ers get enough air get in the boat, but it is mostly the 10 lb'ers or less. However, they often come full steam at you. They will slam into the boat or you if they get a little more air. I had a guy on my boat get a black eye.

I've heard that they are 80% of the biomass in some sections of the river around here. It is freaking amazing how many of them there are. Where I shot that banded one, there are massive schools of them. When its calm in the summer, it is amazing to be up on the deck and troll around and just look at all of them. It is most definitely a target rich environment. Most trips, I don't even target them. I'm normally just looking for grass carp and may shoot a smallmouth buffalo or two (there are amazing numbers of them in this area ), and anything else I run across which can be quite a variety of fish.

Here's a good day for variety in that area. I also missed a bowfin that day and didn't shoot a single silver or common carp.

SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
flyn88 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

It is a crazy thing and I think everybody should give it a try, but the novelty wears off because they make a freaking mess out of your boat, everything that can get broke does.

The good thing is that when the sun comes up, they tend to go down, and if you are running with any speed they will jump behind the boat. My boat is not ideal because what you want is a high rpm and low speed to get them jumping for shooting. Thankfully, they don't screw up recreational boating. Also the big ones don't usually jump. I've seen 20 lb'ers get enough air get in the boat, but it is mostly the 10 lb'ers or less. However, they often come full steam at you. They will slam into the boat or you if they get a little more air. I had a guy on my boat get a black eye.

I've heard that they are 80% of the biomass in some sections of the river around here. It is freaking amazing how many of them there are. Where I shot that banded one, there are massive schools of them. When its calm in the summer, it is amazing to be up on the deck and troll around and just look at all of them. It is most definitely a target rich environment. Most trips, I don't even target them. I'm normally just looking for grass carp and may shoot a smallmouth buffalo or two (there are amazing numbers of them in this area ), and anything else I run across which can be quite a variety of fish.

Here's a good day for variety in that area. I also missed a bowfin that day and didn't shoot a single silver or common carp.

Damn Asia. First they give us Kudzu and now these fish. They are slowly Terra forming North America into SE Asia.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:30 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
flyn88 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Id be trying to take them out with a shotgun.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby blockmaker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:01 pm

They are huge problem here on every body of water connected to Mississippi River. Just last year we had a death on Ohio river by a duck hunter getting knocked out of boat by one. Had a b.a.s.s pro year before last get hit at 70 plus mph. A FLW pro hit a bridge on ky lake during a storm that was thought to be caused by his prop hitting one. His cameraman was disabled for life. Two years ago two bass boats hit each other head on killing one when they both swerved at high speeds after running into a school. They are trying to develop a market overseas for them. Actually built a processing plant in wickliffe ky. Also using them in dog food and fertilizer. It's nothing for a commercial fisherman to catch 30 k a day, but it's still not even beginning to help.
blockmaker

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:38 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Id be trying to take them out with a shotgun.
You couldn't afford all the shells.

I've actually heard people say it is fun to shoot them with a shotgun. There is ZERO chance you are doing that off of my boat, even if it were legal. It's dangerous enough just having a sharp pointing object in your hand, but a gun, no way. Same reason nobody uses a crossbow off of my boat. Hit a stump or something, fall on your ass and put a bolt through my head.

Some guys I know had one jump in the boat and slam down the throttle. Luckily nobody went overboard, but the one guy bang his elbow and tossed his bow in the river.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:53 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Id be trying to take them out with a shotgun.
You couldn't afford all the shells.

I've actually heard people say it is fun to shoot them with a shotgun. There is ZERO chance you are doing that off of my boat, even if it were legal. It's dangerous enough just having a sharp pointing object in your hand, but a gun, no way. Same reason nobody uses a crossbow off of my boat. Hit a stump or something, fall on your ass and put a bolt through my head.

Some guys I know had one jump in the boat and slam down the throttle. Luckily nobody went overboard, but the one guy bang his elbow and tossed his bow in the river.

The idea of a crossbow fishing rig scares the shit out of me. A bow is bad enough if something goes wrong. I've seen one blow up and if an arrow was attached to that on a string, yikes.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Shotgun for those carp flying in the air? No way. Baseball bat seems about the most fun way.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 am

Olly wrote:Shotgun for those carp flying in the air? No way. Baseball bat seems about the most fun way.

Up front on a bow fishing deck just cruising along in football pads with a real long bat. That would be fun. Maybe have a mattress in the boat floor behind you for when you get knocked back.
FlintRiverFowler

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind