Best Dry Field Duck Guides

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Best Dry Field Duck Guides

Postby Bellpeppachaser » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Hey I have hunted big lakes my whole life. I have also hunted a lot of flooded timber. I am looking to make a trip somewhere in the US to make a dry field hunt for mallards and some specks. Any advice or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bellpeppachaser

Re: Best Dry Field Duck Guides

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bellpeppachaser » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you sir
Bellpeppachaser

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

For mallards and specks, I'd venture a guess that you'd be KS bound. If you can settle for a flooded field, AR or maybe LA.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby AKPirate » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

:welcome:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Welcome!
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

3geese4me wrote:For mallards and specks, I'd venture a guess that you'd be KS bound. If you can settle for a flooded field, AR or maybe LA.

And if flooded is okay, I would point you towards Byer's Farm... never been there, but have heard really good things.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm in CA and don't know anyone to recommend. But Welcome! I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Where or how far are you willing to travel? Might help with some of the guys recommendations.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Welcome!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm

3geese4me wrote:For mallards and specks, I'd venture a guess that you'd be KS bound. If you can settle for a flooded field, AR or maybe LA.

First off, welcome!

Specks are going to be your disqualifying factor on this request. My guess is 3geese is spot on if your desire is to kill them in a field, Jarbo can probably offer a little more insight here. If you drop the specks, your opportunities will open up tremendously. You can basically pick any state from Kansas to North Dakota and have a good chance of being able to kill mallards in a field if you time your trip right. However, my guess is finding a guide that is going to offer mallards in a field is going to be another issue, as most will target geese (Canadas) in fields with bonus ducks, and vice versa over water.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:25 pm

sws002 wrote:

First off, welcome!

Specks are going to be your disqualifying factor on this request. My guess is 3geese is spot on if your desire is to kill them in a field, Jarbo can probably offer a little more insight here. If you drop the specks, your opportunities will open up tremendously. You can basically pick any state from Kansas to North Dakota and have a good chance of being able to kill mallards in a field if you time your trip right. However, my guess is finding a guide that is going to offer mallards in a field is going to be another issue, as most will target geese (Canadas) in fields with bonus ducks, and vice versa over water.

I would say you are right, field hunting for ducks is all about timing around here. With the invention of the Ice-Eater, I would guess most guides will go that route when chasing ducks when things get to freezing, which around here is the only time ducks start hitting fields. If specks are added, I would start checking in the central KS area. Chances are if you get on a good field duck hunt, mallards will be in the area also. Good luck, and :welcome:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm

You might want to look at South Dakota or NE as well.
Tomkat

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Tomkat wrote:You might want to look at South Dakota or NE as well.

Chances of specks in NE are slim, and when they are present, there is a good chance there won't even be fields picked to hunt yet. Like TomKat said, when ducks start to happen in fields here is when the weather gets cold. I know nothing of South Dakota's speck hunting, but I doubt it is much better than Nebraska, and it is a draw state (which I hate, and refuse to support). North Dakota can give you opportunities at both, but if you are around when you have a chance at specks, it will also likely be very early, and you will be shooting A LOT of brown ducks. If it were me, I would make it two trips. Maybe not all this year, but as was said here before, if you want specks, from what I've seen in pictures, I don't know if there is a better place than Byers Farm in Arkansas. A field mallard hunt is an absolute must though, it is far and away my favorite hunt.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Could you possibly travel North of the border? You can kill both in the same field fairly consistently up that way.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Could you possibly travel North of the border? You can kill both in the same field fairly consistently up that way.

This is true. Fuckin' Canucks get the best of everything. My goal is in the next 3 years to hunt in Canada (and then every subsequent year after that).
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:57 pm

sws002 wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:Could you possibly travel North of the border? You can kill both in the same field fairly consistently up that way.

This is true. Fuckin' Canucks get the best of everything. My goal is in the next 3 years to hunt in Canada (and then every subsequent year after that).

It is a blast.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Goldfish » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
sws002 wrote:

It is a blast.

It absolutely is
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:36 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
sws002 wrote:

It is a blast.

What's fucking crazy, is that we have been going to NoDak about the last week in October the past 3 years, and usually do pretty damn good, and are for the most part on the front side of the migration but go early to make sure it isn't frozen up. About the time we leave, Hustad is usually headed to Saskatchewan to catch the front end of the migration up there. So the first week of November southern Saskatchewan is seeing the front of the migration, and Nebraska is already a month through duck season. Fucking bullshit.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 pm

sws002 wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
sws002 wrote:

It is a blast.

What's fucking crazy, is that we have been going to NoDak about the last week in October the past 3 years, and usually do pretty damn good, and are for the most part on the front side of the migration but go early to make sure it isn't frozen up. About the time we leave, Hustad is usually headed to Saskatchewan to catch the front end of the migration up there. So the first week of November southern Saskatchewan is seeing the front of the migration, and Nebraska is already a month through duck season. Fucking bullshit.

Yeah, I hunted the Alberta Saskatchewan border. Best time was last week of October first week of November.
GadwallGetter530

Postby RonE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am

If you want to kill Specs over dry rice stubble, the Katie Prairie or the Eagle Lake areas of Texas are almost a sure thing.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 am

RonE wrote:If you want to kill Specs over dry rice stubble, the Katie Prairie or the Eagle Lake areas of Texas are almost a sure thing.

If he just wanted specs in rice stubble he would just come out to cali.:mrgreen:
GadwallGetter530

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 am

Bellpeppachaser wrote:Hey I have hunted big lakes my whole life. I have also hunted a lot of flooded timber. I am looking to make a trip somewhere in the US to make a dry field hunt for mallards and some specks. Any advice or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to WFF.
What's your general location so we could tell you a general idea of where.
So far we got...everywhere. :) Canada...etc.

Arkansas isn't gonna be your destination.
No water "= no ducks so dry fields is unlikely.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 am

Bellpeppachaser wrote:Hey I have hunted big lakes my whole life. I have also hunted a lot of flooded timber. I am looking to make a trip somewhere in the US to make a dry field hunt for mallards and some specks. Any advice or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to WFF.
What's your general location so we could tell you a general idea of where.
So far we got...everywhere. :) Canada...etc.

Arkansas isn't gonna be your destination.
No water "= no ducks so dry fields is unlikely.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby RickC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:57 am

RonE wrote:If you want to kill Specs over dry rice stubble, the Katie Prairie or the Eagle Lake areas of Texas are almost a sure thing.

This x2 Some the best goose hunting around
RickC

Return to The Blind