And It Continues...

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: And It Continues...

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I don't think common core is helping much but come on...it ain't rocket science. I'd honestly like to know how this will all pan out in 10 years when the plan "goes into effect"

But it IS rocket science to kids who have NEVER added or subtracted 3 digit numbers for any length of time, who don't know how to borrow or carry, and who have so few practice problems at school that they have to count on their fingers to add 8+7. I'm not making that up. I know it's happening a lot of places, but there's many around here who are ready to start lynching.

That's the point of the exercise. Its showing an easy way to add 3 digit numbers using increments of 1, 10 and 100.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I don't think common core is helping much but come on...it ain't rocket science. I'd honestly like to know how this will all pan out in 10 years when the plan "goes into effect"

What plan?

To have a class graduate to the common core standard.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

But it IS rocket science to kids who have NEVER added or subtracted 3 digit numbers for any length of time, who don't know how to borrow or carry, and who have so few practice problems at school that they have to count on their fingers to add 8+7. I'm not making that up. I know it's happening a lot of places, but there's many around here who are ready to start lynching.

That's the point of the exercise. Its showing an easy way to add 3 digit numbers using increments of 1, 10 and 100.

There's absolutely nothing easy about that.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

To you...but that problem isn't a "common core" problem. That problem was used when I was in elementary school. My mother has damn near every piece of homework and paper from kindergarten til 9th grade or so when I stopped caring. I should go find it all to show that this stuff isn't new, but just introduced sooner.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Tue May 20, 2014 8:16 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

There's nothing easy about understanding what numerals represent, and then understanding what different combinations of numerals represent, and then understanding what adding or subtracting those combinations of numerals represents, but some how young minds figure it out and then it's just second nature.
banknote

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 pm

banknote wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

There's nothing easy about understanding what numerals represent, and then understanding what different combinations of numerals represent, and then understanding what adding or subtracting those combinations of numerals represents, but some how young minds figure it out and then it's just second nature.

Exactly. Instead of kicking and screaming the whole way, I think I'd rather figure it out and help my child understand it.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby waterfowlman » Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby assateague » Tue May 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
banknote wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:That's the point of the exercise. Its showing an easy way to add 3 digit numbers using increments of 1, 10 and 100.

Exactly. Instead of kicking and screaming the whole way, I think I'd rather figure it out and help my child understand it.

I'd rather my child not be used as a social experiment. It's not just this assignment, but the entirety of what I've been posting all year. This most certainly is not the first. Furthermore, the curriculum was never tested. Not one time, not in one school district, before it was rolled out. And that is a tremendous crock of bullshit. For the record, I would not be nearly as pissed if I was given an option. If those who say "it's not so bad, give it a chance" were so confident of their position, they would have no problem supporting a voucher system, to allow anyone who wanted to send their children elsewhere. But they don't. They hold people hostage, and that most assuredly is not a sign of something which is "good" or that "people want".

I can count on one of those "big blocks" the amount of problems my daughter has done in school and for homework, in order to learn math. And that's bullshit, when it is mixed in with all the nonsense I have posted throughout this year.
assateague

Postby Woody » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm

waterfowlman wrote:

Is that top one an American "History" Book?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

And It Continues...

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

It's pretty easy to go along with the lemmings when you have no children being experimented with and brainwashed with this bullshit.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm

I showed your response to my wife, she got a good chuckle.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby waterfowlman » Tue May 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Woody wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:

Is that top one an American "History" Book?

Yup.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby RonE » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 am

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
banknote wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:That's the point of the exercise. Its showing an easy way to add 3 digit numbers using increments of 1, 10 and 100.

I'd rather my child not be used as a social experiment. It's not just this assignment, but the entirety of what I've been posting all year. This most certainly is not the first. Furthermore, the curriculum was never tested. Not one time, not in one school district, before it was rolled out. And that is a tremendous crock of bullshit. For the record, I would not be nearly as pissed if I was given an option. If those who say "it's not so bad, give it a chance" were so confident of their position, they would have no problem supporting a voucher system, to allow anyone who wanted to send their children elsewhere. But they don't. They hold people hostage, and that most assuredly is not a sign of something which is "good" or that "people want".

I can count on one of those "big blocks" the amount of problems my daughter has done in school and for homework, in order to learn math. And that's bullshit, when it is mixed in with all the nonsense I have posted throughout this year.

There are options.........Parochial School, Charter Schools, Private Schools and Home Schooling. Take your pick.
Some Charter Schools are far worse than public school and some are far better, few are the same. Parochial Schools always include the study of their religion. Private Schools usually have a goal and usually provide a good education with lots of attention to the students. Home schooling reduces some social interaction and is quite often very narrow minded.

It speaks quite highly of you in that you seem to care about your children's education and if you were more positive about it your children would be more eager to learn. It is you that is fighting the system, teach regular math at home and let them learn hoo doo voo doo at school.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 am

Woody wrote:
32-20=?

Use four different ways to solve and explain your steps.

I heard that one on the radio the other day. It is a 2nd grade math problem from common core.

The fuck does that mean? There is only one way to do 32-20=?, and that is 32-20. That's like asking for four different ways to fill cup of water from the faucet, with cold water and no ice in a small cup.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Wed May 21, 2014 12:42 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Woody wrote:
32-20=?

I heard that one on the radio the other day. It is a 2nd grade math problem from common core.

The fuck does that mean? There is only one way to do 32-20=?, and that is 32-20. That's like asking for four different ways to fill cup of water from the faucet, with cold water and no ice in a small cup.

:lol: My little brother and sister are starting to get this stuff. Been pissing me off because they ask me how the fuck you figure it out. Good article on AmericanThinker the other day about...
http://americanthinker.com/2014/05/educ ... _sick.html
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby assateague » Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 am

RonE wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
banknote wrote:
assateague wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"]

There are options.........Parochial School, Charter Schools, Private Schools and Home Schooling. Take your pick.
Some Charter Schools are far worse than public school and some are far better, few are the same. Parochial Schools always include the study of their religion. Private Schools usually have a goal and usually provide a good education with lots of attention to the students. Home schooling reduces some social interaction and is quite often very narrow minded.

It speaks quite highly of you in that you seem to care about your children's education and if you were more positive about it your children would be more eager to learn. It is you that is fighting the system, teach regular math at home and let them learn hoo doo voo doo at school.[/quote]

I do. We spend an average of 45 minutes a day, outside of any schoolwork/homework. My youngest gets pissed because she DOES understand it, when taught normally. Then at school, it's all undone, because her knowing that "9+4=13" isn't god enough, and she has to demonstrate two ways to do it, using "making tens" and "regrouping" or some such shit. I'm honestly about two steps away from home schooling.

As for options, I do, but a lot don't. Why should a parent have to pay for an education they don't use, in addition for paying for one they want? If the public school product was any good, they would support the voucher system. But the fact that they fight it tooth and nail speaks volumes.

As for my negativity, I assure you, it is brought about by having frustrated kids coming home, who KNEW how to do something which we taught them, but which the school has "untaught". They love to learn. They'll sit and do workbooks which we got from the neighbors (who home school), and read books quite a bit. I certainly don't feel like I should have to fight a battle with the school to prevent them from making my kids dumber.

Perhaps if you were more positive about Obama, he'd be more eager to be a better president. Isn't that what you're saying?
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 am

The purpose of public schools is to supply cannon fodder to the military and cheap labor to corporate.

How smart do you have to be to sit and watch a machine put caps on bottles and refill the cap magazine before it gets empty?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Woody » Wed May 21, 2014 6:43 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Woody wrote:
32-20=?

This is no joke, I know one of the possible answers turns out to be...

15+5=20
and
15+15=30
and
30+2=32
and
5+15+2=22
and
22+10=32
and
20+2 =22
and
10+2=12
so
32-20=12
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 am

I'm not going to bother explaining how the "common core" math works because it's clear that you don't want it to. It's also been taught this way for at least 20 years, so it's not just "common core" they adopted it. I remember you bitching about teachers not being good enough over on the other forum and not being held accountable, if my memory serves me right. Well, guess what? Now they are. They are rated on how well the student does with the new curriculum that they didn't even write. I don't know a single teacher that is happy about "common core" requirements and how far advanced it is compared to what was being taught for those age levels. On top of that, having their jobs depend on the kids "getting it." Isn't that what you wanted? Teacher accountability?

The whole "common core" thing to me is is pretty stupid as all kids arent the same, but seriously....the math portion is easy. Been taught the same way in advanced schools forever, so it's nothing new, yet thats what parents seem to struggle with.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 21, 2014 6:51 am

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400673087040.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Woody » Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I'm not going to bother explaining how the "common core" math works because it's clear that you don't want it to. It's also been taught this way for at least 20 years, so it's not just "common core" they adopted it. I remember you bitching about teachers not being good enough over on the other forum and not being held accountable, if my memory serves me right. Well, guess what? Now they are. They are rated on how well the student does with the new curriculum that they didn't even write. I don't know a single teacher that is happy about "common core" requirements and how far advanced it is compared to what was being taught for those age levels. On top of that, having their jobs depend on the kids "getting it." Isn't that what you wanted? Teacher accountability?

The whole "common core" thing to me is is pretty stupid as all kids arent the same, but seriously....the math portion is easy. Been taught the same way in advanced schools forever, so it's nothing new, yet thats what parents seem to struggle with.

I went to a good private school in elementary and this is not how we learned.
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 21, 2014 6:57 am

Woody wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Woody wrote:
32-20=?

15+5=20
and
15+15=30
and
30+2=32
and
5+15+2=22
and
22+10=32
and
20+2 =22
and
10+2=12
so
32-20=12

Pretty sure another method would be:

take 2 "10's" away from 32 and get 12
then take 0 "1's" away from 12 and get 12

Say the question was 435-213:

Take 2 "100's" away from 400 and get 235
Take 1 "10" from 30 and get 225
Take 3 "1's" away from 5 and get 222
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 21, 2014 6:58 am

Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I'm not going to bother explaining how the "common core" math works because it's clear that you don't want it to. It's also been taught this way for at least 20 years, so it's not just "common core" they adopted it. I remember you bitching about teachers not being good enough over on the other forum and not being held accountable, if my memory serves me right. Well, guess what? Now they are. They are rated on how well the student does with the new curriculum that they didn't even write. I don't know a single teacher that is happy about "common core" requirements and how far advanced it is compared to what was being taught for those age levels. On top of that, having their jobs depend on the kids "getting it." Isn't that what you wanted? Teacher accountability?

I said adavnced, not private. The only private school here is now closing, because it sucked. Nothing advanced about it...just private.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Woody wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Woody wrote:
32-20=?

15+5=20
and
15+15=30
and
30+2=32
and
5+15+2=22
and
22+10=32
and
20+2 =22
and
10+2=12
so
32-20=12

Okay, that's cool!

Why not teach them...

steps...
2-0=2
3-2=1

Or I guess you could keep over complicating it and using addition to solve subtraction.

How do you propose we teach them this: sinh(x) = ( ex - e-x )/2?
Woody

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Woody wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Woody wrote:
32-20=?

15+5=20
and
15+15=30
and
30+2=32
and
5+15+2=22
and
22+10=32
and
20+2 =22
and
10+2=12
so
32-20=12

You're expecting second graders to understand the distributive property..(algebra)

Its the correct and easy way but...you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
Expecting second graders to run algebra math-laps and think in algebraic terms is dumb yet that's the plan. If it works...brilliant.

It will fail. We shall see.
aunt betty

Postby Woody » Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Woody wrote:

I said adavnced, not private. The only private school here is now closing, because it sucked. Nothing advanced about it...just private.

Where you live must be an enigma, for the rest of the country private school students out perform public school students by leaps and bounds.
Woody

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 am

Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Woody wrote:

Where you live must be an enigma, for the rest of the country private school students out perform public school students by leaps and bounds.

Black Amish private schools suck. Eric's school is closing. lol
aunt betty

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 am

aunt betty wrote:You're expecting second graders to understand the distributive property..(algebra)

Its the correct and easy way but...you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
Expecting second graders to run algebra math-laps and think in algebraic terms is dumb yet that's the plan. If it works...brilliant.

I agree with you, but I think we are underestimating kids. They are giving it until 2022 here in NY to become effective. Even if it isn't as effective as they planned, they say the students will still be beyond what they would have known in the normal curriculum, even at the worst case scenario.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 am

I understood this stuff in second grade but it was because I had a mobile home set up in the school playground. College kids taught me algebra and some calc..in second grade.
I would not expect all kids to get special math help like that.

They bribed me with candy or I would have never participated. I wanted to play cowboys and indians, cops n robbers, or army.
Fuck school.
aunt betty

Postby Woody » Wed May 21, 2014 7:19 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
aunt betty wrote:You're expecting second graders to understand the distributive property..(algebra)

I agree with you, but I think we are underestimating kids. They are giving it until 2022 here in NY to become effective. Even if it isn't as effective as they planned, they say the students will still be beyond what they would have known in the normal curriculum, even at the worst case scenario.

So, nearly 10 years worth of NY students might be completely useless. Sweet! we are experimenting on a huge scale, I don't know if you know the normal scientific process for experimentation, but this is not it.
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind