Farming for ducks

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Farming for ducks

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Now if JR can just talk the landowners into checker boarding the property. In millet, corn, and Milo. He'd be on to something. :lol:
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Now if JR can just talk the landowners into checker boarding the property. In millet, corn, and Milo. He'd be on to something. :lol:

He told me I can plant some corn anywhere I want. I can use the tractor to rototill, but I'll have to hand hoe up the rows and plant by hand. Just dont know if I have the time to do it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:Now if JR can just talk the landowners into checker boarding the property. In millet, corn, and Milo. He'd be on to something. :lol:

He told me I can plant some corn anywhere I want. I can use the tractor to rototill, but I'll have to hand hoe up the rows and plant by hand. Just dont know if I have the time to do it.

Buddy. Plant milo then. That shit will grow in gravel. Cheap per bag and it grows like a weed. All you have to do is disc, broadcast, or throw it out by hand. Then lightly disc it under and water. No fertilizer requirements if you do it'll just do even better. You can use the feed type of seed. No need to spend a shit load on the certified stuff. Lots easier way to go then corn. With the same kind of carbs that corn provides when its cold. Its duck crack.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Its about a 90day to see it head out down here. So if you guys think about doin it. I'd get it goin.... and will be better cover then millet.
Last edited by GadwallGetter530 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Alright. I'll look in to it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Dangit if you didn't live so far away. I'd go and help out. I love doing stuff like that.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:57 pm

A couple guys are trying something new on our club this year. They are planting a few acres with some type of water grass, milo, and corn. All three, same spot and all planted at the same time. I don't know if it is going to work, but it should be interesting if they get anything.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm

But yet it's "illegal" for me to dump out a couple backpacks full of corn. Kiss my ass. What a crock of shit.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Tiler_J wrote:A couple guys are trying something new on our club this year. They are planting a few acres with some type of water grass, milo, and corn. All three, same spot and all planted at the same time. I don't know if it is going to work, but it should be interesting if they get anything.

If its like a biologic mix. It could work since they mess with the genetics of the plants. But if the mix it all up them selves id bet the milo and watergrass would out compete the corn most of the time. Maybe not. Sure would be cool it all grew up.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Tiler_J wrote:A couple guys are trying something new on our club this year. They are planting a few acres with some type of water grass, milo, and corn. All three, same spot and all planted at the same time. I don't know if it is going to work, but it should be interesting if they get anything.

If its like a biologic mix. It could work since they mess with the genetics of the plants. But if they mix it all up them selves id bet the milo and watergrass would out compete the corn most of the time. Maybe not. Sure would be cool it all grew up.
GadwallGetter530

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Heard you the first time.
QH's Paw

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:

If its like a biologic mix. It could work since they mess with the genetics of the plants. But if they mix it all up them selves id bet the milo and watergrass would out compete the corn most of the time. Maybe not. Sure would be cool it all grew up.

I'm sure with these guys at the club it is probably their own mix. It will be interesting to see if anything grows.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 pm

assateague wrote:But yet it's "illegal" for me to dump out a couple backpacks full of corn. Kiss my ass. What a crock of shit.

My statement to my buddy, the landowner Saturday: "why can we just plant the corn in October. .. not very deep...or spread out? Sorry Mr greenjeans, we're shitty farmers."
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 am

Sounds like a fellow who ran a well known club here and got busted for baiting doves. Claimed on his cable TV show that they were hunting a newly planted field, the response to which being, "If you're going to plant broken rice, you may as well do it in October."
Rick

Postby one2many » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:16 am

Rick wrote:Sounds like a fellow who ran a well known club here and got busted for baiting doves. Claimed on his cable TV show that they were hunting a newly planted field, the response to which being, "If you're going to plant broken rice, you may as well do it in October."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:47 am

Rick wrote:Sounds like a fellow who ran a well known club here and got busted for baiting doves. Claimed on his cable TV show that they were hunting a newly planted field, the response to which being, "If you're going to plant broken rice, you may as well do it in October."

:lol::lol::lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby RonE » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 am

3legged_lab wrote:

If you aren't going to harvest it, just broadcast the seed and rake it in. What happens, happens.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 am

QH's Paw wrote:Heard you the first time.

:lol: I missed that.
GadwallGetter530

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Oh STFU with that you don't have the time shit. You only got like five kids. I could see if you had six. The sixth one would just eat up all your free time.
vincentpa

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm

vincentpa wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Oh STFU with that you don't have the time shit. You only got like five kids. I could see if you had six. The sixth one would just eat up all your free time.

#6 is 5 weeks old today. But I was thinking about putting the kids to work planting the corn for me.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

I think he has 6 now Vince :lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:41 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

#6 is 5 weeks old today. But I was thinking about putting the kids to work planting the corn for me.

Better then having a seed drill.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Why else did you have a whole crew??
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Why else did you have a whole crew??

He's doing it Mexican style. He'll have the landscaping business cornered in his area in no time based on cheap illegal labor.
vincentpa

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Dont know if this is the stuff we planted or just weeds and grass, but something is starting to sprout
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:24 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1403047467436.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403047485647.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403047509158.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Top one looks like millet starting to poke up. Not sure about the broad leaf. Did you only plant millet?
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:42 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Top one looks like millet starting to poke up. Not sure about the broad leaf. Did you only plant millet?

The bag said waterfowl mix. Something like ~49% jap millet, ~10% golden dove millet (or something like that), ~10% sorghum and 2 others that escape me
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:Top one looks like millet starting to poke up. Not sure about the broad leaf. Did you only plant millet?

The bag said waterfowl mix. Something like ~49% jap millet, ~10% golden dove millet (or something like that), ~10% sorghum and 2 others that escape me

Cool deal. Sounds like a great mix.
GadwallGetter530

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:20 pm

We got a little rain last week that seems to be helpful. Even spotted 2 bucks on the edge of the duck plot.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind