2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:54 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:8 more days. My finger is getting real itchy and I can't wait for the dark 30 mornings on the water.

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wakes up with stinky finger.
You guys up north... Your season is over before ours even starts. All I'm worried about is college football starting this weekend.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:8 more days. My finger is getting real itchy and I can't wait for the dark 30 mornings on the water.

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wakes up with stinky finger.
You guys up north... Your season is over before ours even starts. All I'm worried about is college football starting this weekend.

Haha.
It's going to be a crazy week this week. Got a lot of odds and ends to wrap up before the season and school starts back up for me day after tomorrow.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Hell yea, 8 days, gonna hammer some dove. Been hotter than hell for the last week, but supposed to break mid week, supposed to cool off for the opener, been over 100 last 4 years. September is gonna be a busy month, dove, teal, prairie chicken, and blackpowder deer.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby quackhead » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:53 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Hell yea, 8 days, gonna hammer some dove. Been hotter than hell for the last week, but supposed to break mid week, supposed to cool off for the opener, been over 100 last 4 years. September is gonna be a busy month, dove, teal, prairie chicken, and blackpowder deer.

Hope you get some good dove shoots in. We don't have big numbers here they also split about time season opens
quackhead

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 am

I'm a million times more excited for my trip in Oct to MI. 3 weeks of UP hunting! Then back to AL/GA for the start of our regular season in Nov.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:34 am

Olly wrote:I'm a million times more excited for my trip in Oct to MI. 3 weeks of UP hunting! Then back to AL/GA for the start of our regular season in Nov.

You should swing by the bay for a hunt on your way through.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:I'm a million times more excited for my trip in Oct to MI. 3 weeks of UP hunting! Then back to AL/GA for the start of our regular season in Nov.

I was going to hunt with Jehler my first week there but I don't think I'm welcome anymore :lol: so Woody invited me to join his group. I'll be in the UP the entire time. After hunting with Woody I'll be hitting the puddlers in Munuscong Bay You should come up for a hunt.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:40 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I was going to hunt with Jehler my first week there but I don't think I'm welcome anymore :lol: so Woody invited me to join his group. I'll be in the UP the entire time. You should come up for a hunt.

:lol:
Where are you going to be?
My cousins have a cabin just west of newberry. I'll be there for the opener, then maybe head up there again late October if it works out.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I was going to hunt with Jehler my first week there but I don't think I'm welcome anymore :lol: so Woody invited me to join his group. I'll be in the UP the entire time. You should come up for a hunt.

My cousins have a cabin just west of newberry. I'll be there for the opener, then maybe head up there again late October if it works out.

I will be on the camp ground that is along side the river. My dates for travel are Oct 17- Nov 4. Let me know where you're at, you're more than welcome to grab a seat in the boat. My last week there a friend of mine who used to stationed with me there is flying in from Keywest for a week of hunting but the Gator Trax has plenty of room.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I will be on the camp ground that is along side the river. My dates for travel are Oct 17- Nov 4. Let me know where you're at, you're more than welcome to grab a seat in the boat. My last week there a friend of mine who used to stationed with me there is flying in from Keywest for a week of hunting but the Gator Trax has plenty of room.

If I go it will be the 17-19. After that my weekends will be in a deer stand until December again. I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 am

NuffDaddy wrote:If I go it will be the 17-19. After that my weekends will be in a deer stand until December again. I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

I won't get into town until the afttenoon of the 18th I bet. Hopfully I will get in with enough light to do some scouting but either way I plan on hunting that Sunday morning the 19th.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 am

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:If I go it will be the 17-19. After that my weekends will be in a deer stand until December again. I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

I won't get into town until the afttenoon of the 18th I bet. Hopfully I will get in with enough light to do some scouting but either way I plan on hunting that Sunday morning the 19th.

Sounds good. I'll have my boat too to hunt with my cousins up there. I was thinking about hitting superior to look for some sea ducks if the weather is alright to get my little boat out.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Two weeks until teal time and the little jewels remain AWOL. How can they ever expect to grow up and be potroast if they're not punctual?
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 pm

Rick wrote:Two weeks until teal time and the little jewels remain AWOL. How can they ever expect to grow up and be potroast if they're not punctual?

Three days here, and we got lots. I can't hunt for them opening day, so hopefully the spot I have picked out won't get hit before I can get there.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

I didn't see squat for teal in spots that were lousy with them last October. I'm with Rick on this one.
bill herian

Postby firstflight » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm

I see I am not the only one with the lack of teal here .been watching some of my best 10 spots most teal I have seen in a week of scouting is a a mind blowing 9 .
guess geese are in trouble for now .
Just have 2 more days to go till death feast starts .
firstflight

Postby Olly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Sadly I doubt I will only get out once or twice for AL teal season and certainly not the opening weekend.
Olly
WFF Administrator

2014 season countdown

Postby Pintail » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

2 days 3 hours 50 minutes till dove season.
Pintail

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 pm

bill herian wrote:I didn't see squat for teal in spots that were lousy with them last October. I'm with Rick on this one.

Me too
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby firstflight » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:48 pm

I thought teal numbers where up again this year ???
Guess it's a miss print wouldn't be the first time .

And it's not just me .I have gotten 9 phone calls from guys not finding them also . What gives DNR we have always had nice teal numbers around me . Sure hope someone get some .
firstflight

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Pintail wrote:2 days 3 hours 50 minutes till dove season.

Can tell you're ready
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:36 pm

firstflight wrote:I thought teal numbers where up again this year ???

And it's not just me .I have gotten 9 phone calls from guys not finding them also . What gives DNR we have always had nice teal numbers around me . Sure hope someone get some .

Great Lakes and a lot of places up here have water now. Don't know if that's making the difference, but there is water in marshes that have been dry since the 80s and they are all holding birds with a large majority being teal.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
firstflight wrote:I thought teal numbers where up again this year ???

Great Lakes and a lot of places up here have water now. Don't know if that's making the difference, but there is water in marshes that have been dry since the 80s and they are all holding birds with a large majority being teal.

Yes I know , But I am 2.5 hours east and about 1.5 hours south of the big Erie marsh should not have any effect me .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:53 am

firstflight wrote:But I am 2.5 hours east and about 1.5 hours south of the big Erie marsh should not have any effect me .

Sounds like West Virginia, and the only WVa "teal" I recall seeing was a woodcock. (Which was even screwier than their "wood duck" that was a grebe.)
Rick

Postby firstflight » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:59 am

Rick wrote:
firstflight wrote:But I am 2.5 hours east and about 1.5 hours south of the big Erie marsh should not have any effect me .

Sounds like West Virginia, and the only WVa "teal" I recall seeing was a woodcock. (Which was even screwier than their "wood duck" that was a grebe.)

yeah where not that bad yet .
I was hoping for bigger numbers , 9 in one spot is a honey hole around here now .I am heading out now to scout some more spots .
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 am

Talked to a buddy of mine in Wisconsin last night, he told me the teal where there by the thousands
.So I guess we now know where the teal went .
firstflight

Postby Pintail » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 am

firstflight wrote:Talked to a buddy of mine in Wisconsin last night, he told me the teal where there by the thousands
.So I guess we now know where the teal went .

I think the conditions are too good for them up there to leave yet.
Pintail

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:34 am

5 hours to go!!! I'm hitting the sack for a couple hours, then it's game on!!
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 pm

This and the approaching full moon should shake things up, I hope.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/fall-first-cold-frost-20140904
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 am

Or not. Gonna tickle me to be out there, regardless.
Rick

Previous

Return to The Blind