2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: hopefully teal season here in MI.

They already confirmed and released the dates for the "experimental early teal season."

Personally, I would rather we didn't have an early teal season... yeah it's nice to have more days to hunt, but MI is far enough north that thousands of juvenile wood ducks are going to get shot and everywhere I know that holds teal, holds other ducks and all an early season is going to do is push local birds in to un-hunt-able areas. Its not like LA, where the majority of the ducks in early September are teal, and most of there larger ducks migrate down later.

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes...There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds. And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

They already confirmed and released the dates for the "experimental early teal season."

Personally, I would rather we didn't have an early teal season... yeah it's nice to have more days to hunt, but MI is far enough north that thousands of juvenile wood ducks are going to get shot and everywhere I know that holds teal, holds other ducks and all an early season is going to do is push local birds in to un-hunt-able areas. Its not like LA, where the majority of the ducks in early September are teal, and most of there larger ducks migrate down later.

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes...There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds. And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

This. Pisses me off that MN opted out of an experimental season. Why wouldn't you give it a try?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am

Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

This. Pisses me off that MN opted out of an experimental season. Why wouldn't you give it a try?

Because its a stupid idea. I'll bet more woodies get shot at than teal. Happens every year down south.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

Because its a stupid idea. I'll bet more woodies get shot at than teal. Happens every year down south.

You really like talking out of your ass don't you?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:16 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"] hopefully teal season here in MI.

You really like talking out of your ass don't you?[/quote]

Wait...you're from Texas right? So you must know how birds work up north pretty well.

7-14 days of retards shooting at birds in September would ruin our first split.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:19 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I'll bet more woodies get shot at than teal. Happens every year down south.

Your from New York right? So you know this for sure of course.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I'll bet more woodies get shot at than teal. Happens every year down south.

Your from New York right? So you know this for sure of course.

"I'll bet". Sounds like a definitive guess
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes... ...And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

That's the most short cited statement I've heard in a couple weeks :thumbsup:
There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds.

Geese use different parts of the ecosystem and fly a different times of the day than ducks. I do the early goose every year and every year is the same... ducks are out of roost ponds and on feeding areas long before geese even start to stir. I've never seen a duck land in winter wheat, geese prefer more open water, etc...

You are comparing apples to airplanes.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

I don't know about the red part, but up here we are filled to the brim with woodies and in early September I can't tell a young woody from a blue wing hen, on the wing, in low light.... I really question anyone who says they can.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

Eric Haynes wrote:7-14 days of retards shooting at birds in September would ruin our first split.

This is really my biggest concern. I don't hunt much public land, but this is going to affect private, too.
ALL of the local birds are going act as if the season opened in September on the actual opening morning.
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:43 am

I've talked to guides in LA and AR. Both have said they believe more woodies come into the line of fire than not.

Maybe Rick can share his experience with it with us? @Rick
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 am

A teal and woody have different body sillouettes and calls, if your not sure, don't shoot, easy as that. Personally I prob won't get to hunt it much, but I'd rather have the regular season open a week earlier and stay open a week later.
BrewGUN

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am

Woody wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="Woody"]

I don't know about the red part, but up here we are filled to the brim with woodies and in early September I can't tell a young woody from a blue wing hen, on the wing, in low light.... I really question anyone who says they can.[/quote]

Then don't shoot. Wait until you have a positive id, then shoot...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I've talked to guides in LA and AR. Both have said they believe more woodies come into the line of fire than not.

Maybe Rick can share his experience with it with us? @Rick

With out a doubt woodies are caught in the crossfire but to say more woodies are shot at than teal I'd presume is quite the stretch. The shear number of teal taken would take a hell of a lot of wood ducks to eclipse it.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Then don't shoot. Wait until you have a positive id, then shoot...

Yeah, because saying it, is going to make it so...

Us responsible hunters are going to follow the rules (as always), but this is just an excuse for the derelicts to be just that.
Woody

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

You gotta have faith, Woody! I like to think there are more hunters out there that are following the games laws, than guys going out there and just blasting away.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:You gotta have faith, Woody! I like to think there are more hunters out there that are following the games laws, than guys going out there and just blasting away.

It only takes one bad egg to ruin an omelet.
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

Woody wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:[quote="Woody"]

I don't know about the red part, but up here we are filled to the brim with woodies and in early September I can't tell a young woody from a blue wing hen, on the wing, in low light.... I really question anyone who says they can.[/quote]
Then don't fucking shoot!
LST is sunrise not half hour before for teal season. It's going to be the same assholes shooting woodies that shoot 4 mallard hens and stomp them in the dirt in regular season. You can't base regulations on the ones that break them.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes... ...And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds.

Geese use different parts of the ecosystem and fly a different times of the day than ducks. I do the early goose every year and every year is the same... ducks are out of roost ponds and on feeding areas long before geese even start to stir. I've never seen a duck land in winter wheat, geese prefer more open water, etc...

I goose hunted 10 of the 15 days last year. I hade more teal than geese decoy in. I heard or saw at least one other party every time out, so don't give the the "they don't use the same place". Yes a lot of guys hunt fields for geese but a lot hunt the water too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 am

Woody wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:7-14 days of retards shooting at birds in September would ruin our first split.

This is really my biggest concern. I don't hunt much public land, but this is going to affect private, too.
ALL of the local birds are going act as if the season opened in September on the actual opening morning.

So as the worst the birds on opening morning will act like they do 3 hours after LST.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am

BrewGUN wrote:A teal and woody have different body sillouettes and calls, if your not sure, don't shoot, easy as that. Personally I prob won't get to hunt it much, but I'd rather have the regular season open a week earlier and stay open a week later.

I think we all would. But if it takes a teal season to get a few more duck days in the fall then I'll take it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

So as the worst the birds on opening morning will act like they do 3 hours after LST.

Around here it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for them to catch on... now it will be 30 minutes before LST.
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

Woody wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:You gotta have faith, Woody! I like to think there are more hunters out there that are following the games laws, than guys going out there and just blasting away.

And you can't base regs on that one bad egg. Most of the guys that will be shooting woodies are going to be the same ones that shoot ducks during early goose.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

Around here it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for them to catch on... now it will be 30 minutes before LST.

So you're saying 7 days of light pressure a month before the regular season starts will make the birds more pressured opening day than they are 3 weeks into regular season. Yeah...makes sense.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

I goose hunted 10 of the 15 days last year. I hade more teal than geese decoy in. I heard or saw at least one other party every time out, so don't give the the "they don't use the same place". Yes a lot of guys hunt fields for geese but a lot hunt the water too.

Did every goose you shot at come in with a flock of ducks... or did you kill a majority of them without ducks around?
Be honest...

I'll bet every teal you kill this year not only comes in with a duck(s) but is a duck itself...
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

So you're saying 7 days of light pressure a month before the regular season starts will make the birds more pressured opening day than they are 3 weeks into regular season. Yeah...makes sense.

Its a gradual decline in action for 3 weeks... and if you think it is going to be light pressure your'e an idiot.
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

What asshole decided this was a good idea???

Here's a excerpt from the CWAC meeting minutes...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406217606.088744.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"] hopefully teal season here in MI.

Did every goose you shot at come in with a flock of ducks... or did you kill a majority of them without ducks around?
Be honest...

I'll bet every teal you kill this year not only comes in with a duck(s) but is a duck itself...[/quote]
I've shot a goose or 2 that was flying with a mallard. But gunshots and boats fling around in the marsh are still the same weather they are after geese or teal.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:

And you can't base regs on that one bad egg. Most of the guys that will be shooting woodies are going to be the same ones that shoot ducks during early goose.

Not solely based on them, but at least take their actions in to consideration...
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Be honest...

I'll bet every teal you kill this year not only comes in with a duck(s) but is a duck itself...

I've shot a goose or 2 that was flying with a mallard. But gunshots and boats fling around in the marsh are still the same weather they are after geese or teal.

"a goose or 2"

Have you ever killed a duck, that wasn't a duck?
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind