2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:[quote="Eric Haynes"]
7-14 days of retards shooting at birds in September would ruin our first split.

This is really my biggest concern. I don't hunt much public land, but this is going to affect private, too.
ALL of the local birds are going act as if the season opened in September on the actual opening morning.

So as the worst the birds on opening morning will act like they do 3 hours after LST.

Around here it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for them to catch on... now it will be 30 minutes before LST.

So you're saying 7 days of light pressure a month before the regular season starts will make the birds more pressured opening day than they are 3 weeks into regular season. Yeah...makes sense.

Its a gradual decline in action for 3 weeks... and if you think it is going to be light pressure your'e an idiot.[/quote]
I will put a paycheck on it that there won't be as many hunters for teal as there will be either of the first 2 days of the season.
And you said it takes 2-3weeks for them to be as pressured as you are saying they will be 30min after LST with a teal season. It makes no sense. You're talking out your ass.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:What asshole decided this was a good idea???

Here's a excerpt from the CWAC meeting minutes...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406217606.088744.jpg

Only time will tell if it was a good idea, and state wide maybe it wont have much affect... but I am willing to bet around here it will be noticeable.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Did every goose you shot at come in with a flock of ducks... or did you kill a majority of them without ducks around?
Be honest...

I'll bet every teal you kill this year not only comes in with a duck(s) but is a duck itself...

I've shot a goose or 2 that was flying with a mallard. But gunshots and boats fling around in the marsh are still the same weather they are after geese or teal.

"a goose or 2"

Have you ever killed a duck, that wasn't a duck?

I've never shot a BW during regular season here if that's what you are getting at. They are almost all gone by the end of sept.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 am

:lol: :lol: Damnit Dan you're going to be the downfall of Woody's entire season.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Did every goose you shot at come in with a flock of ducks... or did you kill a majority of them without ducks around?
Be honest...

I'll bet every teal you kill this year not only comes in with a duck(s) but is a duck itself...

I've shot a goose or 2 that was flying with a mallard. But gunshots and boats fling around in the marsh are still the same weather they are after geese or teal.

"a goose or 2"

I've never shot a BW during regular season here if that's what you are getting at. They are almost all gone by the end of sept.

Not even close...

NuffDaddy wrote:I will put a paycheck on it that there won't be as many hunters for teal as there will be either of the first 2 days of the season.
And you said it takes 2-3weeks for them to be as pressured as you are saying they will be 30min after LST with a teal season. It makes no sense. You're talking out your ass.

And you would likely win that bet, but less than regular season opening day does not equal light pressure...

Do you really think that a duck is equally scared by a gun shot 300 yards away as one pointed right at them from 15 yards?
Do you really think they are affected the same way when they land in goose decoys swim around for a few and then are allowed to leave as they are when one of the ducks they are flying with is shot?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:33 am

They're just birds, for fuck's sake.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Be honest...

"a goose or 2"

Not even close...

NuffDaddy wrote:I will put a paycheck on it that there won't be as many hunters for teal as there will be either of the first 2 days of the season.

And you would likely win that bet, but less than regular season opening day does not equal light pressure...

Do you really think that a duck is equally scared by a gun shot 300 yards away as one pointed right at them from 15 yards?
Do you really think they are affected the same way when they land in goose decoys swim around for a few and then are allowed to leave as they are when one of the ducks they are flying with is shot?

You talk like every damn bird is going to get blasted at. Within a week if season closing birds are everywhere again anyways. I'm sure a week of teal shooting a month before opener will have almost no affect on the regular season. You are giving these birds too much credit.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 am

Not sure what all the bitching is about.

I've killed a shit-pot of teal in the marsh, and a metric shit ton of woodies in swamps - but rarely ever has it been the opposite.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 am

assateague wrote:They're just birds, for fuck's sake.

No shit
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 am

Flightstopper wrote:

No shit

your'e just a monkey.
Woody

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Be honest...

"a goose or 2"

Depends, how do you classify a coot?

We have a week long split, and a 2 week split in our middle and south zones respectively. The birds are right back where they were the first time around for our "2nd" openers
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 am

Actually, it will be kind of nice to be able to shoot all those little bastards that land in my goose spread every year.
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Not sure what all the bitching is about.

I've killed a shit-pot of teal in the marsh, and a metric shit ton of woodies in swamps - but rarely ever has it been the opposite.

Good point.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

Woody wrote:Actually, it will be kind of nice to be able to shoot all those little bastards that land in my goose spread every year.

That's my plan.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I hope you guys hammer the wood ducks, so the required blind observations can report the slaughter and shut your teal seasons down, leaving more for the rest of us.

That said, the fears I've seen expressed in this thread weren't borne during or following my '70s-'80s September teal seasons in Ohio, where woodies were likely our primary duck or down here in LA. Did see quite a few intentional "mistake" ducks taken during Louisiana's September teal seasons in the mid '80s, but the ethical norm has changed greatly since those days, and I know of very few true mistake ducks shot now and almost never hear of, much less see, wanton shooting anymore. No way could the numbers of protected ducks killed here during September be of any real significance. Perhaps you've more assholes up there, so here's hoping...
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Woody wrote:

Only time will tell if it was a good idea, and state wide maybe it wont have much affect... but I am willing to bet around here it will be noticeable.

There aren't ducks in Detroit anyway...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Woody wrote:

Actually, there are a shit ton of ducks in Detroit.
Woody

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm

Woody wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Woody wrote:

In the city? Did you buy a house yet?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Woody wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

No shit

your'e just a monkey.

:lol: Good to know
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Duckdog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Down here, if there wasn't an early teal season, you'd rarely get a chance to shoot bw teal. Sometimes, there are still a few around when the regular opener rolls around, but not very damn many.

In my experience, the big ducks are few and far between during early teal season. Definitely not enough to affect the regular season opener. Wood ducks however, are very common during the early teal season.
I actually wish they'd ALLOW wood ducks during the early teal season down here. For the last few years, it's gotten so cold so fast that the woodies are gone quick!
Being this far south, it works here, and with enough water and when the timing's right, it's an absolute blast!
However, I can see the concern from you northern hunters where you might already be holding big ducks.
Duckdog

Postby Bad17 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Duckdog wrote:Down here, if there wasn't an early teal season, you'd rarely get a chance to shoot bw teal. Sometimes, there are still a few around when the regular opener rolls around, but not very damn many.

In my experience, the big ducks are few and far between during early teal season. Definitely not enough to affect the regular season opener. Wood ducks however, are very common during the early teal season.
I actually wish they'd ALLOW wood ducks during the early teal season down here. For the last few years, it's gotten so cold so fast that the woodies are gone quick!
Being this far south, it works here, and with enough water and when the timing's right, it's an absolute blast!
However, I can see the concern from you northern hunters where you might already be holding big ducks.

X2
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Woody wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Woody wrote:

In the city? Did you buy a house yet?

In the subs they were everywhere...
Woody

Postby sws002 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Duckdog wrote:Down here, if there wasn't an early teal season, you'd rarely get a chance to shoot bw teal. Sometimes, there are still a few around when the regular opener rolls around, but not very damn many.

This. In the 4 years I hunted Michigan, I can count on one hand the number of BWT I saw during the regular season. Same thing here, a BWT is a rarity once the regular season starts, we get our shot in September or not at all.

And if we are going to base regulations on jackplates who can't properly ID their birds before they shoot, it won't be long and we won't even have a season.

Quit your bitchin', even if you manage to shoot limits of woodies every day during the teal season it's still a drop in the bucket.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm not saying it will just be jack plates that make the misidentification. The MDNR website says...

Avoid forested wetlands where you are likely to encounter large numbers of wood ducks which can be mistaken for teal, especially in low light conditions.

They have a concern, for a reason... If I'm not mistaken some states even have early teal AND wood duck seasons.

I will admit, some of my reasoning is based in selfishness... A few of our honey holes are shared, kind of, with some real jackpots. Both public and private, and I have strong suspicion as to what havoc they are going to rain down before we can even legally shoot the majority of ducks.

I'm done bitching, I just have some reservations. I really hope I'm wrong and this turns out for the best.
Woody

Postby sws002 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Woody wrote:If I'm not mistaken some states even have early teal AND wood duck seasons.

They do, but as I understand it, they aren't technically early seasons at that point, rather a split of the regular season. I know Iowa basically has an early duck season, which is everything open for a week or two in September when the BWT are passing through, but it costs them time off their regular season.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Duckdog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:17 pm

I've never thought about that...It's probably mandated by the feds.
But, I don't think the early bw teal season days come out of your federally allotted days...do they? Seems like I just read that they don't.
I know it doesn't matter, but here it would make sense to have both open during the early bw teal season, but I wouldn't be willing to give up regular season time for it.

And, just for conversation's sake, I've seen woodies actually flying within flocks of bw teal, and I've also seen them shot that way.
Duckdog

Postby sws002 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Duckdog wrote:I've never thought about that...It's probably mandated by the feds.
But, I don't think the early bw teal season days come out of your federally allotted days...do they? Seems like I just read that they don't.
I know it doesn't matter, but here it would make sense to have both open during the early bw teal season, but I wouldn't be willing to give up regular season time for it.

And, just for conversation's sake, I've seen woodies actually flying within flocks of bw teal, and I've also seen them shot that way.

That is correct, the early teal season doesn't come out of your allotted days. I'm not quite sure how they word it, I know the early/late goose seasons are technically nuisance seasons, I can't imagine the same could be said for teal. Perhaps Dan can shed a little light on this one...
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Duckdog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Last season, the timing of the opener was horrible for us! I didn't even get to hunt it. On opening day it was 103 degrees! Kinda hard for me to get in the duck huntin' frame of mind when it's 103 degrees!
And then I had to work the 2nd weekend...total bust.
Duckdog

Postby sws002 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Duckdog wrote:Last season, the timing of the opener was horrible for us! I didn't even get to hunt it. On opening day it was 103 degrees! Kinda hard for me to get in the duck huntin' frame of mind when it's 103 degrees!
And then I had to work the 2nd weekend...total bust.

Ya, fuck that noise. I don't mess with that shit. I shut down when it hits 90.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:45 pm

sws002 wrote:
Duckdog wrote:I've never thought about that...It's probably mandated by the feds.

That is correct, the early teal season doesn't come out of your allotted days. I'm not quite sure how they word it, I know the early/late goose seasons are technically nuisance seasons, I can't imagine the same could be said for teal. Perhaps Dan can shed a little light on this one...

Early teal is just a way of giving people a way to hunt birds that would otherwise be gone by the regular season.
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind