2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby bill herian » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:47 am

Good Christ, you guys really pinned the throttle on the retard train with this one.

If you don't want a teal season, sit at home and look out the window.
bill herian

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:56 am

bill herian wrote:Good Christ, you guys really pinned the throttle on the retard train with this one.

If you don't want a teal season, sit at home and look out the window.

Good advice! That works for nearly everything in life. Don't want something? Just stay home and take it up the ass.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:56 am

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: hopefully teal season here in MI.

They already confirmed and released the dates for the "experimental early teal season."

Personally, I would rather we didn't have an early teal season... yeah it's nice to have more days to hunt, but MI is far enough north that thousands of juvenile wood ducks are going to get shot and everywhere I know that holds teal, holds other ducks and all an early season is going to do is push local birds in to un-hunt-able areas. Its not like LA, where the majority of the ducks in early September are teal, and most of there larger ducks migrate down later.

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes... ...And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

That's the most short cited statement I've heard in a couple weeks :thumbsup:
There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds.

Geese use different parts of the ecosystem and fly a different times of the day than ducks. I do the early goose every year and every year is the same... ducks are out of roost ponds and on feeding areas long before geese even start to stir. I've never seen a duck land in winter wheat, geese prefer more open water, etc...

You are comparing apples to airplanes.

You guys in the extreme northern states are way behind the curve, states like Ohio and others in the "middle" between Michigan up top and louisiana and other states on the bottom have had these early teal seasons for a long time. If the things you're all worrying about were true, don't you think the Feds would have not only refused to give more states the option to start but would have also shut down the central states where teal and lots of other ducks both exist at the same timeframe?

And I haven't read further than the post I quoted, so if this has been addressed in later pages of this thread I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:00 am

Wood ducks do get killed every year, but it hasn't been the end of the world.
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby sws002 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 am

Botiz630 wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: hopefully teal season here in MI.

They already confirmed and released the dates for the "experimental early teal season."

Personally, I would rather we didn't have an early teal season... yeah it's nice to have more days to hunt, but MI is far enough north that thousands of juvenile wood ducks are going to get shot and everywhere I know that holds teal, holds other ducks and all an early season is going to do is push local birds in to un-hunt-able areas. Its not like LA, where the majority of the ducks in early September are teal, and most of there larger ducks migrate down later.

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes... ...And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

That's the most short cited statement I've heard in a couple weeks :thumbsup:
There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds.

Geese use different parts of the ecosystem and fly a different times of the day than ducks. I do the early goose every year and every year is the same... ducks are out of roost ponds and on feeding areas long before geese even start to stir. I've never seen a duck land in winter wheat, geese prefer more open water, etc...

You are comparing apples to airplanes.

You guys in the extreme northern states are way behind the curve, states like Ohio and others in the "middle" between Michigan up top and louisiana and other states on the bottom have had these early teal seasons for a long time. If the things you're all worrying about were true, don't you think the Feds would have not only refused to give more states the option to start but would have also shut down the central states where teal and lots of other ducks both exist at the same timeframe?

And I haven't read further than the post I quoted, so if this has been addressed in later pages of this thread I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Spot on. What has sucked for us (Nebraska) in years past, is that the northern half of the state is considered a production zone, so only the southern half of the state had the early season.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby firstflight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 pm

We have had early teal season for as long as I can remember in Ohio .
it never messed up our regular duck season .most of the blue wings are gone by then .we get green wings all season long .
firstflight

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 am

16 more days.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 am

You'll be shooting at geese before we can even think about chasing dove.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 am

3geese4me wrote:16 more days.

NICE!
32 here.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby 3geese4me » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 am

Flightstopper wrote:You'll be shooting at geese before we can even think about chasing dove.

I can't freaking wait. Seen a flock fly over the house last night. Plenty of young and dumb birds for me to shoot at.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

33 days for me. Unless I can find some geese or teal up by the lake. Otherwise I'll be missing the opener.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am

NuffDaddy wrote:33 days for me. Unless I can find some geese or teal up by the lake. Otherwise I'll be missing the opener.

The first 2 weeks of early season kind of suck here but I still go. Usually only get 5-10 a day . Its the last weekend of early season that it gets insane.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am

If I can find geese, I can start on the 9th. I need to get my car fixed to go burn gas tho, not going to do it in the truck
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:33 days for me. Unless I can find some geese or teal up by the lake. Otherwise I'll be missing the opener.

The first 2 weeks of early season kind of suck here but I still go. Usually only get 5-10 a day . Its the last weekend of early season that it gets insane.

I have no idea when it's good. Last year wast my first year trying for early goose and averaged probably 2-3 birds a trip. All off the water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby gila-river » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 pm

I just saw a little blue wing teal. Is it possible she's that early?
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

gila-river wrote:I just saw a little blue wing teal. Is it possible she's that early?

Maybe a resident who has been hiding.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby gila-river » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
gila-river wrote:I just saw a little blue wing teal. Is it possible she's that early?

Maybe a resident who has been hiding.

Could be but I have never seen teal hanging out. A lot of mallards but never A teal. Either way it was cool.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Kicked up a couple flocks off some marsh I walked on quick scout yesterday. Season can't get here quick enough. Might have to take a few days off work to chase them around a bit.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

Kicked up a couple flocks off some marsh I walked on quick scout yesterday. Season can't get here quick enough. Might have to take a few days off work to chase them around a bit.

Get to the fields. Much better results and you aren't busting a loafing spot up.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:20 pm

I found some geese to work on September 1
calvins pintail 078.jpg

calvins pintail 073.jpg

calvins pintail 075.jpg

turkey 2012 082.JPG

turkey 2012 078.JPG

white goose 039.JPG

calvins pintail 075.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
firstflight

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:26 pm

Flightstopper wrote:You'll be shooting at geese before we can even think about chasing dove.

Hell, he'll be shooting them before they do in Canada.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Get to the fields. Much better results and you aren't busting a loafing spot up.

None of the birds I hunt have a loaf spot. I just hunt the bay shore and get the ones that fly around. Getting a field is a lot easier said than done around here. Especially one with geese in it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 am

Well. Looks like I might be hunting on the 1st.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406988101.319998.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406988133.335724.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406988157.722115.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Made a pass by my morning blind today, and "the Mudhole" is looking pretty sweet:

Rick

Postby AKPirate » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Rick wrote:Made a pass by my morning blind today, and "the Mudhole" is looking pretty sweet:

That is sweet compared to some of the goo you have had to chop up :thumbsup:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:50 pm

AKPirate wrote:That is sweet compared to some of the goo you have had to chop up :thumbsup:

Water is a wonderful thing.
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Rigging decoys sucks...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Rigging decoys sucks...

Lot better than painting them
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3geese4me » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:30 pm

firstflight wrote:I found some geese to work on September 1
calvins pintail 078.jpg

calvins pintail 073.jpg

calvins pintail 075.jpg

turkey 2012 082.JPG

turkey 2012 078.JPG

white goose 039.JPG