2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I've always wanted to try one of those Higdon Pulsators.
Are they not worth a crap as far as shooting water up?
Grossly overpriced in my opinion,...but what isn't anymore? :qh:
Duckdog

Postby Steele22 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:04 pm

I wondered the same thing. They look good enough to try. I got 2 of the wonder ducks and am pleased with them. Only prob is in rice field with the water so shallow they hang up some. You gotta clean out a spot and just keep it there
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:44 am

Flightstopper wrote:
Steele22 wrote:I made one 3 years ago. It's still going good, but I caulked the shit out of it where I cut the shaft. Took and bent rebar into a triangle. Put a decoy one the 3 points and welded a straight piece across it to mount the trolling motor head too. Just attached it with metal bands. I'll get a pic up if you wanna see it

I'd like to see it, have some ideas in mind but need the motor in hand to figure out the rest.

Why not just buy a mallard machine? I got mine for $160.00 several years ago and it works great on just about everything. I've noticed it will bump a nervous bullsprig if he's on final approach but other than that it's been great in the rice.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:51 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Steele22 wrote:I made one 3 years ago. It's still going good, but I caulked the shit out of it where I cut the shaft. Took and bent rebar into a triangle. Put a decoy one the 3 points and welded a straight piece across it to mount the trolling motor head too. Just attached it with metal bands. I'll get a pic up if you wanna see it

I'd like to see it, have some ideas in mind but need the motor in hand to figure out the rest.

Why not just buy a mallard machine? I got mine for $160.00 several years ago and it works great on just about everything. I've noticed it will bump a nervous bullsprig if he's on final approach but other than that it's been great in the rice.

and on the Eel!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 am

AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

and on the Eel!

The eel breaks everything! Robo ducks and spirits!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

and on the Eel!

The eel breaks everything! Robo ducks and spirits!

yep
I dont fuckin care.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 am

But look how happy I was just to be there. :lol: I wonder if that empty box of blackcloud had something to do with the ducks not being there.
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:00 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:But look how happy I was just to be there. :lol: I wonder if that empty box of blackcloud had something to do with the ducks not being there.

The liquor came out soon after you didn't care about getting behind brush :lol:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 am

I hunt my ass off at home, I was there for the party!
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:I hunt my ass off at home, I was there for the party!

Mike and I were too, we are going to have even more characters there this year
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 am

AKPirate wrote:

If the butt plug comes out numbers may diminish. My safe word is going to be kwickfish this year.
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:13 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

If the butt plug comes out numbers may diminish. My safe word is going to be kwickfish this year.

I am pretty sure Jehler will top that again
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 am

Duckdog wrote:I've always wanted to try one of those Higdon Pulsators.
Are they not worth a crap as far as shooting water up?
Grossly overpriced in my opinion,...but what isn't anymore? :qh:

If you look around on the Internet, you'll find plenty of help on building one yourself. Not worth a flip in my "mudhole" pothole because the bilge pump jams with humus PDQ. But my beefs with them in cleaner water are the lack of ability to shut them off at will and the little fountain they pump doesn't show well at a distance, which is where I find such attractors generally most useful.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:38 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

I'm on my second Mallard Machine - after deciding I wasn't going to replace the first when it croaked. That decision lasted maybe a week, as I found I missed heck out of having something, anything to help combat the still-life effect of the spread on dead calm mornings. Way too much sludge in my pond to operate the manual decoy trolly I'd found more effective in rice or any kind of jerk cord submerged enough not to mess the dog up, for that matter. So I bought another.

But calm morning or not, my jerk cord/dipping duck experience seems to buck the norm, because I find them very easy to overdo with big ducks looking directly at the spread. Never mind the Darwin award winners that would land in the middle of a hydroplane race, I'm speaking of survivors with PhDs tucked under each wing. I want to kill them all, and too much of a good thing can get in the way of that. Only time I'll bump the MM much when something's approaching the rig is to try to tease ringnecks that know and would otherwise skirt it into tripping up or to put teal "right there," when a whirligig won't.
Rick

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am

I normally bump mine when the bird is making a turn out away from the blind
Bootlipkiller

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 am

Rick wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Steele22 wrote:I made one 3 years ago. It's still going good, but I caulked the **** out of it where I cut the shaft. Took and bent rebar into a triangle. Put a decoy one the 3 points and welded a straight piece across it to mount the trolling motor head too. Just attached it with metal bands. I'll get a pic up if you wanna see it

I'm on my second Mallard Machine - after deciding I wasn't going to replace the first when it croaked. That decision lasted maybe a week, as I found I missed heck out of having something, anything to help combat the still-life effect of the spread on dead calm mornings. Way too much sludge in my pond to operate the manual decoy trolly I'd found more effective in rice or any kind of jerk cord submerged enough not to mess the dog up, for that matter. So I bought another.

But calm morning or not, my jerk cord/dipping duck experience seems to buck the norm, because I find them very easy to overdo with big ducks looking directly at the spread. Never mind the Darwin award winners that would land in the middle of a hydroplane race, I'm speaking of survivors with PhDs tucked under each wing. I want to kill them all, and too much of a good thing can get in the way of that. Only time I'll bump the MM much when something's approaching the rig is to try to tease ringnecks that know and would otherwise skirt it into tripping up or to put teal "right there," when a whirligig won't.

You've got that right Rick , with ease of relocating a jerkline and making it more inviting , also with the ability to activate
it at the right time has its rewards !
3200 Man

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:35 am

3200 Man wrote: You've got that right Rick , with ease of relocating a jerkline and making it more inviting , also with the ability to activate
it at the right time has its rewards !

Rub being motion on both ends of the line.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

A free trolling motor head and most other parts I need will be laying around here. Big price difference in virtually free to $160
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Steele22 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:01 am

getting the pond planted
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Steele22 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:08 am

Going back to that blind in the video Wednesday. That's where mine is. I'll put pics up then
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

Crew seems to have an attitude problem. Might want to add more beer.
Rick

Postby Steele22 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Lol. Yea at that point we had a disc break got our ass soaked with a storm and were completely outta beer. Which sucked
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Just broke out the dremel for my next crack at toneboard cutting. Could go south quick...
Rick

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

A free trolling motor head and most other parts I need will be laying around here. Big price difference in virtually free to $160

But I thought you couldn't find a free trolling motor head? Hence the (looking for one and not being able to find one).
Bootlipkiller

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

But I thought you couldn't find a free trolling motor head? Hence the (looking for one and not being able to find one).

Grandpa has one sitting in his garage I'm going to use. It's somewhere jumbled in the quotes saying that.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Must have missed that, I was busy trying to catch a fish earlier.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Must have missed that, I was busy trying to catch a fish earlier.

I take it the pink meat still eludes you?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Rick wrote:Just broke out the dremel for my next crack at toneboard cutting. Could go south quick...

To me, that's the beauty of a Dremel- if you're gonna fuck something up, at least you do it quickly. Nothing worse than spending an hour doing something by hand in small degrees and then messing it up. With the Dremel, the damage is usury done within a minute :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:51 pm

assateague wrote: With the Dremel, the damage is usury done within a minute :lol:

You phone reverted to Chinaman mode again.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 pm

assateague wrote:
Rick wrote:Just broke out the dremel for my next crack at toneboard cutting. Could go south quick...

To me, that's the beauty of a Dremel- if you're gonna fuck something up, at least you do it quickly.

And I did.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind