2014 season countdown

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

2014 season countdown

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:Must have missed that, I was busy trying to catch a fish earlier.

I take it the pink meat still eludes you?

Yep, had to try despite the fact everyone told me they are still out in the salt. Did catch another good channel cat though.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Re: 2014 season countdown

Postby firstflight » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: hopefully teal season here in MI.

They already confirmed and released the dates for the "experimental early teal season."

Personally, I would rather we didn't have an early teal season... yeah it's nice to have more days to hunt, but MI is far enough north that thousands of juvenile wood ducks are going to get shot and everywhere I know that holds teal, holds other ducks and all an early season is going to do is push local birds in to un-hunt-able areas. Its not like LA, where the majority of the ducks in early September are teal, and most of there larger ducks migrate down later.

I'm sure other ducks will be shot. But there is no way to tell how many. That's why it's an experimental season. DNR are required to report every non-teal kill to the Feds so that will determine if it continues past the 3 year trial. As far as pressure goes... ...And after the first day of regular season the ducks are all pushed to safe zones anyway. I'd rather have 7 more days and sacrifice a few birds on opening day.

That's the most short cited statement I've heard in a couple weeks :thumbsup:
There is already early goose, so there's already guys out and about blasting at birds.

Geese use different parts of the ecosystem and fly a different times of the day than ducks. I do the early goose every year and every year is the same... ducks are out of roost ponds and on feeding areas long before geese even start to stir. I've never seen a duck land in winter wheat, geese prefer more open water, etc...

You are comparing apples to airplanes.

I have a 28 acre swamp that will bust that myth wide open ,and its full of junk .and it holds about 300 to 500 geese till frozen
also full of teal ,wood ducks ,Mallards , gadwalls , and a host of odd ball ducks .
turkey 50 042.jpg

turkey 50 041.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:00 pm

And when we shoot teal we wait till the geese leave then set up for teal .
firstflight

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:08 pm

That's cool :thumbsup:
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 pm

That's not a swamp
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:That's not a swamp

Looks like a pond to me
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Looks like a marsh to me.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Looks like a marsh to me.

When I think of a marsh, I think of grasses and cat tails. Like this.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Swamp is usually filled with trees and seech.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Looks like a marsh to me.

When I think of a marsh, I think of grasses and cat tails. Like this.

That's looks like a swampy marsh to me. All the marshes I hunt are pretty much sand with really defined cattail/phrag patches. All the woody swamps look closer to your pic only with more trees.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Hard to tell really...being from MI and all.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Got some diver painting to do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407882996.797320.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:50 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Got some diver painting to do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407882996.797320.jpg

Painting's a task I just can't bring myself to tackle. Have even procrastinated by formulating a plan to ease into it by learning to use my fancy airbrush on coots that are hard to mess up, then ringnecks, then a few mottleds and so on until I've the experience to take on tougher subjects. But I did let the water out of the coots today, so that's something...

Also experimented some more and finally managed a second speck call toneboard I like a bit better than the shop's, just not as well as my first effort. Hope to wait and see what the specks think before proceeding on that front but may not be able to stand leaving well enough alone and booger it before hand. We'll see...

Anyway, you guys who are actually tackling your painting projects have my admiration. (I've had some Hardcore specks on hold since the mid 2000s.)
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 pm

My diver painting consists of a black head, breast, and tail with a white body and maybe some grey if I feel like it. All with a rattle can.
I hate painting deeks too, but I hate beat up decoys even worse. And I don't have money to buy new ones all the time.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh but it is, that's the end I clean out to shoot ducks . I get a Sat photo for ya .
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Even the Sat photo said swamp.

Screenshot_2014-08-12-22-54-09.png
firstflight

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm your huckleberry
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Never mind. You're from Ohio. You can call it a swamp if you want to...I'm surprised there aren't 15 mobile-homes parked around it. LAKEFRONT!!!
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:I'm your huckleberry

Ha ha ha .
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:34 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Never mind. You're from Ohio. You can call it a swamp if you want to...I'm surprised there aren't 15 mobile-homes parked around it. LAKEFRONT!!!

Hey just because I'm from Ohio, doesn't mean we all live in them there fancy tin can .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Never mind. You're from Ohio. You can call it a swamp if you want to...

They also have a tomato patch they call "Great Black Swamp".
Rick

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:32 am

Rick wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Never mind. You're from Ohio. You can call it a swamp if you want to...

They also have a tomato patch they call "Great Black Swamp".

That it you guys are just so mean .
it has ,had trees,cat tails,and all the Lilly pads you wanted .but after years of cleaning it up its now open up quite a bit .I hope to open it up more now that muskrats and beavers moved in .
firstflight

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 am

Hard to believe this thread fell off the first page at this time of year.

Though I've still not seen a bound-to-be-migratory teal flock, this is the week I'm historically most apt to, and preparation for their season has begun. Went to my mudhole blind in the marsh Friday and found what had been beautiful when we passed it egg picking in July:

is now covered in floating humus "black dirt" and true to its name:

There's no less water in the marsh now than before, it's just heated up enough for the decomposition process to kick into overdrive and the farting bacteria doing that work have pumped enough CO2 into the "bottom" to bring it to the top. That will need ground up with a prop again and again to release enough of the trapped gas to let it subside below the surface and allow a show of water for the birds.

Then, too, the flotant around the pond is encroaching on it, and nowhere more noticeably than behind the blind's floating island where it had nearly filled what's normally a wide boat lane:

That flotant, being cattails with a root system that won't support a dog's weight, creates a mean obstacle to retrieves out the back of the blind, of which there are too many. So I started opening the channel again by shredding the cats to the surface with a weed eater:

And then grinding their roots with a prop to create swimming water and offer the coyote some relief.

Got a good start on that, but apparently have a bit of trash in my Go-devil's carburetor that's resistant to spray cleaning and put my pond projects on hold.

Had a stroke of bad fortune, couldn't find the teal cut reed for the over-bored MVP I run it in, turn good when the replacement I cut for it came out able to stand my hitting the call a lot harder than I could the lost one without locking up. Seems to offer a bit more range tone wise, too, so I'm stoked to try it on the real deal and have started carrying it on the coyote and my field trips.

And speaking of the coyote, he, too, has been getting as much of a handling tune-up as our back-to-reality August weather allows us.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:55 am

Ouch, not knowing any better I assumed you'd have it easy this year when you posted the last round of pics. No birds to be seen here yet but not like they have a reason to be in our cow pastures yet. Is your MVP from a time when they were all over-bored or something you requested for volume?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 am

The fellow who gave me that MVP had asked Butch to make him the loudest possible hunting call, so Butch opened it way up. Sucker is LOUD, but the rub with breaking very high or distant birds is that you usually have to stay on them to keep them coming somewhere they'd not intended to go. And the amount of wind required to keep them on the hook is too often more than I can muster at the extended ranges I can turn them with that call. No point in busting a lung to break something I can't hang onto, so I stick to a stock bored MVP that doesn't reach as far but leaves me enough wind to finish what I start.

That leaves the big-bored MVP a back-up during the regular season but the Mac Daddy of all teal calls in September.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 am

Good to know, always curious at the your method to your madness.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am

I'm heading out to the bay tomorrow morning to see what I'm up against for the fall. The high water is going to make things way different and open up a lot of grass/mud flats that I'm hoping will be holing some teal.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I'm heading out to the bay tomorrow morning to see what I'm up against for the fall. The high water is going to make things way different and open up a lot of grass/mud flats that I'm hoping will be holing some teal.

I'm ready to do some scouting. I'm not hunting early season so I'm not gona be gettin out there til early November. Our regular season starts November 22.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I'm heading out to the bay tomorrow morning to see what I'm up against for the fall. The high water is going to make things way different and open up a lot of grass/mud flats that I'm hoping will be holing some teal.

I'm ready to do some scouting. I'm not hunting early season so I'm not gona be gettin out there til early November. Our regular season starts November 22.

Early teal and goose starts in 12 days for me. Had some thunderstorms this morning so I'm going tomorrow.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:40 pm

8 more days. My finger is getting real itchy and I can't wait for the dark 30 mornings on the water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind