A Tragicomedy

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

A Tragicomedy

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:43 pm

I just laugh about it anymore.

Stopped in Gander Mountain on a whim to see if they had a Glock 42 I could fondle. First time I'd bothered since the new laws went into effect. So I asked exactly what I needed to buy a handgun these days. Here's what I found:

-My DD214 (which lists weapons qualifications) is no longer good to exempt me from the "handgun training course" requirement. Only active duty and full 20 year retirees are exempt. For some fucking insane reason.

- in addition to a course (cost- $75-$200), I must go to DMV to be fingerprinted, which is tied to my drivers license pic and stored electronically somewhere

-then I must go pay the MD State Police $50 for something (not sure what) and wait two weeks to get a card in the mail

-at that point, I may go buy a gun. But still must wait the 7-day waiting period (which he currently estimated at around a 30 day backlog) and fill out all of the paperwork. Again.

Fuck this place, not giving them any money. Gonna make a trip to AZ to visit my boss and buy a few, since a face to face sale in AZ requires an "expectation that the buyer lives in AZ". That's it.
assateague

Re: A Tragicomedy

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 pm

I should add:

The insanity is that I could have just bought an 18" barrel semiauto shotgun, a box of shells, and walked out the door in 5-10 mins.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Good thing you have many connections in other states....
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Precisely. It's just so stupid
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Could buy a good bit of ammo to break it in for what they want in nonsensical fees.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:18 pm

That's why I live in Texas.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Duckdog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:20 pm

That's rediculous!!
That shit makes my blood boil!!
I'm all for avoiding the next tragedy,...I mean,...who isn't?
But not one single part of that would do a damn thing to avoid a killing, let alone a "mass tragedy".
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Duckdog

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Bad17 wrote:That's why I live in Texas.

You moved to Texas because of a law in Maryland? Weird. :grin:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby AKPirate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Holy shit, Between DC and Maryland there won't be many people left to buy guns.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:32 pm

I have said a million times, and will keep saying:

I'm all for whatever gun control you want . AS LONG AS IT APPLIES THE SAME TO VOTING. Just imagine if they passed a law here requiring people to pay a minimum $100, get fingerprinted, and get investigated to get a voter ID card. Just imagine the outrage. And I'd tell them all to shut the fuck up. A right is a right
assateague

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:33 pm

AKPirate wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

And just think- guns are illegal in DC. Good thing those laws work!
assateague

Postby AKPirate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:43 pm

assateague wrote:
AKPirate wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

And just think- guns are illegal in DC. Good thing those laws work!

:mrgreen: It would be cool if they could figure out the optimum genetic make-up to own guns and only let them buy them, kinda like a dog pedigree.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:44 pm

But then criminals and those not qualified would just get guns illegally. Oh, wait...
assateague

Postby AKPirate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 pm

assateague wrote:But then criminals and those not qualified would just get guns illegally. Oh, wait...

:lol: Although it's not really funny.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Hence, the thread title :lol:
assateague

Postby gila-river » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Between OR and AZ I honestly can't even imagine going through that horseshit AT. If you do make a trip out you'd better hit me up for a beer. What are the laws in MD regarding shipping a handgun to an FFL?
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:40 pm

gila-river wrote:Between OR and AZ I honestly can't even imagine going through that horseshit AT. If you do make a trip out you'd better hit me up for a beer. What are the laws in MD regarding shipping a handgun to an FFL?

Probably about the same degree of anal probage.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Same thing. Same hoops to jump through, only add about an extra $45 for the local dealer's transfer fee!
assateague

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:34 pm

assateague wrote:Same thing. Same hoops to jump through, only add about an extra $45 for the local dealer's transfer fee!

What cracks me up is guys who have a dozen or so guns at home already having to wait for a background check or "cooling off" period before buying a gun. If they wanted to shoot someone it would have already happened.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 pm

It's just so fucking stupid. I'm getting more worked up the longer I think about it. I will never buy another gun here until this shit changes.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Glad I live in Wyoming ;)
quackhead

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:33 pm

assateague wrote:It's just so fucking stupid. I'm getting more worked up the longer I think about it. I will never buy another gun here until this shit changes.

You're not happy unless you have something to complain about eh?
Bulldog0156

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:56 pm

It gives me special joy to find ways to circumvent the law. The stupider the law, the more joy it brings me :lol:
assateague

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 pm

assateague wrote:I just laugh about it anymore.

Stopped in Gander Mountain on a whim to see if they had a Glock 42 I could fondle. First time I'd bothered since the new laws went into effect. So I asked exactly what I needed to buy a handgun these days. Here's what I found:

-My DD214 (which lists weapons qualifications) is no longer good to exempt me from the "handgun training course" requirement. Only active duty and full 20 year retirees are exempt. For some fucking insane reason.

- in addition to a course (cost- $75-$200), I must go to DMV to be fingerprinted, which is tied to my drivers license pic and stored electronically somewhere

-then I must go pay the MD State Police $50 for something (not sure what) and wait two weeks to get a card in the mail

-at that point, I may go buy a gun. But still must wait the 7-day waiting period (which he currently estimated at around a 30 day backlog) and fill out all of the paperwork. Again.

Fuck this place, not giving them any money. Gonna make a trip to AZ to visit my boss and buy a few, since a face to face sale in AZ requires an "expectation that the buyer lives in AZ". That's it.

Not trying to foment a big controversy or debate, at, but I thought you were all for state's rights, and that if someone was not satisfied with the laws in one state they could always move to another whose laws were more in line with their views.

Don't get me wrong....I realize that this is a Constitutional Right (if that's how it is currently interpreted), and that state's laws
don't supersede Fed. laws. However, it seems as though we are approaching a dividing line in our continuing conversation re state's vs Fed laws and rights. I think, were I to work at it, I could place gay marriage in pretty much the same category, yet I hear constantly that if you don't like the laws in one state re these rights, you are free to move to another.
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:54 pm

assateague wrote:Same thing. Same hoops to jump through, only add about an extra $45 for the local dealer's transfer fee!

waterfowlman wrote: What cracks me up is guys who have a dozen or so guns at home already having to wait for a background check or "cooling off" period before buying a gun. If they wanted to shoot someone it would have already happened.

They'd probably hate to go down in a blaze of bullets with a dirty old used gun, Rick! Takin' Grampa's old double-barrel sixteen gauge to a mall shooting just doesn't have the same cachet! :lol:
Glimmerjim

Postby gila-river » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:

Not trying to foment a big controversy or debate, at, .

Bwahahahahaha.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 am

Duckdog wrote:That's rediculous!!
But not one single part of that would do a damn thing to avoid a killing, let alone a "mass tragedy".
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Did you just growl at us?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:15 am

Glimmerjim wrote: Not trying to foment a big controversy or debate, at, .

gila-river wrote: Bwahahahahaha.

:lol: You know my history too well, gila! But really, in this case I am just trying to gett assa's opinion. If it just goes back to the Constitution, fair enough. That's a whole 'nother subject for a different time.
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:19 am

Duckdog wrote:That's rediculous!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I agree, Duckdog. Just the fact that a guy is trying to buy a gun legally is probably the best indicator we have that he is probably responsible enough to own one.
Glimmerjim

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 am

Shit. Once the tards in Sacramento hear about this it won't be long until we end up in the same boat.
clampdaddy

Next

Return to The Blind