Dove basics?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Dove basics?

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:57 am

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Somebody school me what this is.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1407591697852.jpg[/attachment]

That's what we call a $1,500 fine and loss of hunting privileges for a year.

It's for the deer! It should all be gone by September anyways and I won't be able to hunt there until a week in.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
hudson wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:See my sig...

My plant and tree id sucks ha
should be a hell of a shoot and I don't know that that's the real name it's just what I've always known it as

Alright Hud, was completely wrong on the plant. Here is actual dove weed don't even know what I have but it has tons of little seeds on it.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1407591576257.jpg[/attachment]

That's what we call goat weed.

Have something else y'all call dove weed?

Looks like I need to stick to my picture books and Crayolas if I can't figure out a couple pasture weeds.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Looks like it is 'Texas croton' I have in that field instead of wooly croton, that we know as goat weed out dove weed.

http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/pl ... as-croton/
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:45 pm

Might explain why I've always just lumped the two as dove weed.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Have something else y'all call dove weed?

Nope, but goat weed might as well be called dove weed. Never saw a goat eat it, and know cows won't. Some of our best dove shoots have been pastures grazed to the dirt around the goat weeds that let the doves walk around and eat the fallen seeds without need of bush-hogging or discing.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 pm

And of course the 17 acres was mowed and turned over yesterday. Hadn't heard they were planting oats this year until I saw the big green tractor pulling into the field. Oh well didn't see but a handful of birds anyways. Did have a decent rain last week that perked up the actual dove weed nicely.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 am

Driving around yesterday, saw something rare in my area. Sorghum planted in quite a few fields. Hope it hasn't pulled all the birds away from the spot in the foothills that I got invited to spend opening morning.
clampdaddy

Postby 3200 Man » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Watchout Clamp ! With all the harvesting in those ******* Nut Trees , birds have been loading up on Safflower next
door to where I shoot ! The good part of this is , they come right through our field , by the hundreds ! :clap:
3200 Man

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

With all the sorghum they've been planting there's gonna be some fatties flying around.
clampdaddy

Postby Laguna Madre » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Scout the local agriculture fields and food sources. I always had better hunting from about 4pm til dark. I have a mojo but I don't think it mattered in South Texas as the doves were everywhere and you'd limit out in about 30 minutes. I now live in Austin and need to find a place to hunt. Good luck

And its always cool and when duck and dove season over lap. This picture was taken up near the Red River in far North Texas.

And it always fun to bust a covey while walking back to the truck from a widgeon hunt.

And this was my lab's first ever hunt and the first time i ever trained a bird dog. She did great.

Starting September 1st it is hunting season in Texas until the end of January and if you like to chase wild hogs it never closes. Hope everyone has a great season.
Laguna Madre

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 am

Great job, LM! :beer: Your boy looks mighty proud there. It's great to see! One question, though. In that second picture, it looks to me (with tired, old, eyes) that I am seeing possible a couple of geese, mourning doves, white-wing doves, pigeons, and ducks. Are they all there?
Glimmerjim

Postby TNAL45 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm more excited than a kid on Christmas who has secretly peaked at his presents.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Got fresh batteries in the mojo, a few boxes of shells and the beer's on ice. Can't decide which choke tube to start the morning with. Thinking improved mod.
clampdaddy

Postby TNAL45 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409534508.575597.jpg

Hey there little fellas!

Clamp, I've always loved Light Mod over IC in my dove gun shooting 7.5 or 8s.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TNAL45

Postby Pintail » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Got fresh batteries in the mojo, a few boxes of shells and the beer's on ice. Can't decide which choke tube to start the morning with. Thinking improved mod.

I use IC's.
Pintail

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:46 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Got fresh batteries in the mojo, a few boxes of shells and the beer's on ice. Can't decide which choke tube to start the morning with. Thinking improved mod.

I'd start with 12 oz'ers and move up to 16's as the day progresses, cd! :beer: Good luck buddy. Have fun!!
Glimmerjim

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 pm

Primos Jellyhead...

;)
Duckdog

Postby hudson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Went and scouted the field today.It is planted with brown top millet.Seen about 50 land and should be more by saturday
hudson

Postby Bad17 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Awesome
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Worst opener I've ever had. Only got a couple birds. Bought Coors light because that's what everyone said they wanted to drink. They barely drank any so I had to drink most of that crappy beer myself.
clampdaddy

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 am

No birds and Coors Light: believe you've set a new bar for adding insult to injury.
Rick

Postby TNAL45 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:53 pm

We totaled 71 birds on Monday with 5 guns. Pops had to leave early 4 birds light. It's hot out there for a ginger! I'm ready for some much cooler weather.
TNAL45

Postby Goldfish » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:58 am

What does rain to do doves? It's been raining almost all morning so I didn't bother going out
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby sws002 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Goldfish wrote:What does rain to do doves? It's been raining almost all morning so I didn't bother going out

Apparently makes them multiply. It's been raining damn near nonstop for two weeks here and we absolutely crushed them on Monday.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Steele22 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:31 pm

It will bother you a lot more than the birds. If it cools off with it especially
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:52 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Worst opener I've ever had. Only got a couple birds. Bought Coors light because that's what everyone said they wanted to drink. They barely drank any so I had to drink most of that crappy beer myself.

You should have listened as I was treated to a couple shots of 100 yearold Taylor after the hunt , and 9 Igloo's of whatever
you wanted to drink . It was a Great day as birds were everywhere , over us , going to and from the Safflower !

And it was the same yesterday afternoon and hopefully for the next 13 days . :thumbsup: :lol: :beer:
3200 Man

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:55 pm

sws002 wrote:
Goldfish wrote:What does rain to do doves? It's been raining almost all morning so I didn't bother going out

Apparently makes them multiply. It's been raining damn near nonstop for two weeks here and we absolutely crushed them on Monday.

Rain, or any little front, here can shut down a hot field like flipping a switch. Hated it when we sold dove hunting, because they can be so unpredictable in our area.
Rick

Dove basics?

Postby Pintail » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Usually bad for us because it means they don't have to all fly to a tank for water.
Pintail

Postby Duckdog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Rick wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Rain, or any little front, here can shut down a hot field like flipping a switch. Hated it when we sold dove hunting, because they can be so unpredictable in our area.

It's the same way here Rick,...but you just never know. I think lightning plays a big part in running them off too...
For example,...opening day here was Monday. The field I went to on opening day was slop over with doves!
It stormed Monday night...There were very darn few in that same field on Tuesday. I also talked with a few guys at different areas including a game warden, and they all reported the same thing.
But,...you never know unless you go ™... ;)
Duckdog

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Nothing sometimes. Grab a rain coat and soak your gun with Remoil and get after it. Some of our best hunts have been in the rain and others we got skunked.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind