Dove basics?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Dove basics?

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 am

Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:This thread pisses me off

It's actually inspiring me to take up arms against doves again after several years of not fooling with it. But I suspect I say screw it again when the time comes to sit in the sun for them. Gladly do it for September teal though...
man I'm ready for it myself and to go sit in a tree with my bow on a levee In lacassine
hudson

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:21 am

Flightstopper wrote:What's safflower cost per acre?

Fuck if I know. I never did the math. I really dont even know exactly how big my plots are acre wise. I just know how many 50 pounds bags it takes to plant and what it should look like when I broadcast. Im not a farmer. I just done this long enough to make it work and come out right.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby sws002 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Fuck you! I'm gonna kill a few this year just outa spite.

I'll be sure to post pictures of all those delicious song-birds as they are wrapped in bacon on my grill!
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am

hudson wrote:
Rick wrote:

It's actually inspiring me to take up arms against doves again after several years of not fooling with it. But I suspect I say screw it again when the time comes to sit in the sun for them. Gladly do it for September teal though...
man I'm ready for it myself and to go sit in a tree with my bow on a levee In lacassine

Saw a couple surprisingly big bodied deer at marsh's edge this Summer.
Rick

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:35 am

I just read that they increased the limit to 15 this year in CA.
Glimmerjim

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:40 am

Glimmerjim wrote:I just read that they increased the limit to 15 this year in CA.

Jesus Christ Jim. Do try and keep up.:mrgreen:
GadwallGetter530

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

I just drive along the canal road in the afternoon, find a dead cottonwood set up a stool and empty my ice chest of beer as I fill it with delicious little doves.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

gila-river wrote:I just drive along the canal road in the afternoon, find a dead cottonwood set up a stool and empty my ice chest of beer as I fill it with delicious little doves.

Yay Arizona!
GadwallGetter530

Postby RickC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am

Rick wrote:Right at thirty years ago I heard a young Cajun kid give one of our hunters what remains the best dove field stand location advice I've heard, "Go sit by a naked tree."

Doves love hanging up in dead trees to survey the situation before flying down to feed.

This
A dead bare tree is a magnet for them.
RickC

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
gila-river wrote:I just drive along the canal road in the afternoon, find a dead cottonwood set up a stool and empty my ice chest of beer as I fill it with delicious little doves.

Yay Arizona!

Drive over during the season. Well head on down to Yuma. It's good here, but, over in the Yuma valley off the Colorado you'd have to work hard to not slay em.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am

That's how it was down outside Sierra Vista. A guy could fill three or four limits in a morning before they stopped flying, if he lived close enough to his apartment to drop birds off.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am

The only reason I would ever move to Arizona and deal with that heat would be for the dove hunting.
GadwallGetter530

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am

assateague wrote:That's how it was down outside Sierra Vista. A guy could fill three or four limits in a morning before they stopped flying, if he lived close enough to his apartment to drop birds off.

:lol: did you go after ducks much when you were here Jim?
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby RickC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am

assateague wrote:He's in Minnesota. I don't think water is going to play as big of a role as where you hunt.

When I was in the desert, I made my own water out of black plastic. Worked like a damn charm.

plond1.jpg

plond2.jpg

plond3.jpg

A Plond! Haven't seen one of those since the 80's during a really bad drought on the Katie Prairie west of Houston. Guides were making huge plonds for goose hunts. Worked like a charm
RickC

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 am

gila-river wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yay Arizona!

Drive over during the season. Well head on down to Yuma. It's good here, but, over in the Yuma valley off the Colorado you'd have to work hard to not slay em.
Dammit Caleb are you tryin to make me take off a whole 6 months
hudson

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:55 am

hudson wrote:
gila-river wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yay Arizona!

How much vacation you got stored up?:lol:
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:02 pm

gila-river wrote:
hudson wrote:
gila-river wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yay Arizona!

I got lots.:mrgreen:;);)
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

gila-river wrote:
assateague wrote:That's how it was down outside Sierra Vista. A guy could fill three or four limits in a morning before they stopped flying, if he lived close enough to his apartment to drop birds off.

Very little. I jump shot Mexican ducks on the San Pedro, and had a couple dirt tanks outside town which were good for a two-shot jump shoot after about a 30 minute "stalk" up to them. Parker Canyon Lake was LOADED, but I could never get a clear answer as to whether I could hunt it or not. The forest service told me to call Game and Fish, and Game and Fish told me to call the Forest Service. Folks at the lake said "you can, but people don't like hunting around here". Just seemed like more aggravation than it was worth. And I never had enough time to head up north or over to the Colorado, so I stuck with doves and deer around town.
assateague

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 pm

assateague wrote:
gila-river wrote:

Very little. I jump shot Mexican ducks on the San Pedro, and had a couple dirt tanks outside town which were good for a two-shot jump shoot after about a 30 minute "stalk" up to them. Parker Canyon Lake was LOADED, but I could never get a clear answer as to whether I could hunt it or not. The forest service told me to call Game and Fish, and Game and Fish told me to call the Forest Service. Folks at the lake said "you can, but people don't like hunting around here". Just seemed like more aggravation than it was worth. And I never had enough time to head up north or over to the Colorado, so I stuck with doves and deer around town.

I haven't hunted that side but I worked over in Wilcox quite a bit and always to try the playa on a rainy year.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm

gila-river wrote:
hudson wrote:
gila-river wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:

Yay Arizona!

Not enough for everything I wanna kill lol
hudson

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

I was only there for 18 months, and only really got one full season. And the playa was dry as a bone that year. I did see a crap ton of sandhills, though, although I have no idea where they were going. The deer hunting up in the Chiricahuas and around SV was pretty good, actually, but I don't know how well the mountains bounced back after that fire a couple years back.
assateague

Postby gila-river » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm

I have heard they got some good deer over there, and some monster cactus bucks. Not to take away from the seriousness of the situation but in some places up north a fire can help with the deer hunting for the first couple years. If anything dies off from the loss of food/habitat it's fawns and young deer. The mature bucks just get a little more concentrated.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:35 pm

sws002 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Fuck you! I'm gonna kill a few this year just outa spite.

I'll be sure to post pictures of all those delicious song-birds as they are wrapped in bacon on my grill!

I won't post pics, but I'm gonna wrap a few in bacon in a couple weeks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:43 pm

gila-river wrote:I have heard they got some good deer over there, and some monster cactus bucks. Not to take away from the seriousness of the situation but in some places up north a fire can help with the deer hunting for the first couple years. If anything dies off from the loss of food/habitat it's fawns and young deer. The mature bucks just get a little more concentrated.

I saw some monstrous Coues deer, but never had a shot at one. Well, "monstrous" is relative for those things, but really nice big-racked 10-pointers.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:45 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I have a lucky dove (wind powered) and 4 of the clip on decoys.

Stopped at a corn field I saw then using last year. There is something missing here, right?
uploadfromtaptalk1407421477445.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407421488144.jpg

Looks like you're scoping out a sorghum field!

Dafuq is sorghum?? I was thinking maybe they were sweet corn and someone came and picked it all, but I couldn't see whet anyone would have ripped off the cobs
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:48 pm

I believe they make sugar out of it.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:58 pm

You guys honestly think that's what that is? I have no idea now. Looked just like corn, just no cob or tassel
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Yep , scouting is the number-one thing you need to do for successful Dove hunting ! Once you find a flight and get under it
all it takes is lots of shells , beer and shade . I hunt them between the neighbors Safflower and the river , mornings are crazy
and evenings are great using 30 decoys on the fence and 3 spinners to draw their attention !
3200 Man

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Goldfish wrote:You guys honestly think that's what that is? I have no idea now. Looked just like corn, just no cob or tassel

No, I'm pretty sure it's just fucked-up corn. I don't think sorghum is as thick as a cornstalk.
assateague

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahha

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

Fuck you! I'm gonna kill a few this year just outa spite.

They sit up on the electric lines mocking me all the time... I've been thinking about doing it too.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind