Dove basics?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Dove basics?

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 am

I want to try chasing them this year. Do they have time patterns for food/water that are pretty universal or do you just have to figure out when they do that?

Any other tips/tricks?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Dove basics?

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 am

They are just teeny tiny geese at heart really. The only thing that differs is the happiness they find in perching. Build a fake telephone wire between two fake telephone poles for increased satisfaction.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

Get a mojo, best money you can spend for dove. Dove magnet.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 am

Also if you have any tanks around with small gravel around the edges just hang out there in the afternoon. Sometimes the birds move better early here, around 4 or so, but right before dark can get crazy as well.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 am

I have a lucky dove (wind powered) and 4 of the clip on decoys.

Stopped at a corn field I saw then using last year. There is something missing here, right?
uploadfromtaptalk1407421477445.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407421488144.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 am

Best times I've found are daylight till the stop flying and then from 3 till dark.best to go scout and find the most traveled flight path and setup under it
hudson

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 am

Goldfish wrote:I have a lucky dove (wind powered) and 4 of the clip on decoys.

Stopped at a corn field I saw then using last year. There is something missing here, right?
uploadfromtaptalk1407421477445.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407421488144.jpg

Looks like you're scoping out a sorghum field!
BrewGUN

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 am

Right at thirty years ago I heard a young Cajun kid give one of our hunters what remains the best dove field stand location advice I've heard, "Go sit by a naked tree."

Doves love hanging up in dead trees to survey the situation before flying down to feed.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am

Flightstopper wrote:Get a mojo, best money you can spend for dove. Dove magnet.

Just use the duck mojos ,doves are sucked in by them .take LOTS of shells . Take a small cooler with ice to put doves in .
firstflight

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:49 am

As was said, when they stop flying, pack up and go home until the afternoon (if you have that option). When they're done flying for the morning, they're done. And like Beef, said, they tend to act like geese, at least in my experience. Don't really get to flying around until the sun warms up their wings some.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

Find a grain field that has birds hitting it. I'm not sure what type of grain is in your area, maybe wheat or milo? But safflower/sunflower is some of the biggest drawers of dove around here. Dove typically will fly off the roost at gray light and hit the fields first then go to water. Around 9 or 10 they'll fly back to a day roost. Near the feeding areas. On hot days they'll hit water in the afternoon prior to the evening feeding season. If the day isn't a scorcher they'll hit water before they go to bed. I've had alot of great hunts, hunting the last hour of shooting light setting up in trees they'll spend the night in. Mojos totally work. Especially if their isn't alot of other guys using them in your area. Those birds might have a brain the size of a pea but they wise up just like a duck. Finally go find several fields that are holding birds. Those bitches can be finicky little pricks. Doves might have a field they only hit in the morning then go to a field right next door that they'll feed in later that day. Nothing you can do about it when they have a field in mind. They fly right past your mojo..... one little bit of advice. Get two mojos. Set one up with the standard short pole and then put the other on a longer pool, say 8 feet in the air. You'll be amazed how many more birds will notice it and come bombing in.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby assateague » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 am

He's in Minnesota. I don't think water is going to play as big of a role as where you hunt.

When I was in the desert, I made my own water out of black plastic. Worked like a damn charm.

plond1.jpg

plond2.jpg

plond3.jpg
Last edited by assateague on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 am

Mornin Beef wrote:They are just teeny tiny geese at heart really. The only thing that differs is the happiness they find in perching. Build a fake telephone wire between two fake telephone poles for increased satisfaction.
Hahaha

Check out Mojo's new realistic power pole decoys. They come complete with insulators, transformers and guy wires. And I'd recommend popping for the multi cycle remote attachment that creates that humming sound you commonly hear from power poles which creates...as Beef stated...dove euphoria
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 am

In the morning I like to clip a few decoys to an old barbed wire fence the clip a few to an old v groove fan belt and put it on the ground, like they're feeding on something. A mojo fluttering over the feeders and get ready to hammer 'em. In the evening it doesn't seem to work very well. Mostly just pass shooting them as they head back to their roost.
clampdaddy

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 am

If you have goat weed up there its a safe bet doves will be on it.Down here you can't plant anything as good as goat weed.It is a wild plant that drops a black seed that doves can't get enough of.It will grow almost waist high and can cover a whole pasture
hudson

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Find a grain field that has birds hitting it. I'm not sure what type of grain is in your area, maybe wheat or milo? But safflower/sunflower is some of the biggest drawers of dove around here. Dove typically will fly off the roost at gray light and hit the fields first then go to water. Around 9 or 10 they'll fly back to a day roost. Near the feeding areas. On hot days they'll hit water in the afternoon prior to the evening feeding season. If the day isn't a scorcher they'll hit water before they go to bed. I've had alot of great hunts, hunting the last hour of shooting light setting up in trees they'll spend the night in. Mojos totally work. Especially if their isn't alot of other guys using them in your area. Those birds might have a brain the size of a pea but they wise up just like a duck. Finally go find several fields that are holding birds. Those bitches can be finicky little pricks. Doves might have a field they only hit in the morning then go to a field right next door that they'll feed in later that day. Nothing you can do about it when they have a field in mind. They fly right past your mojo..... one little bit of advice. Get two mojos. Set one up with the standard short pole and then put the other on a longer pool, say 8 feet in the air. You'll be amazed how many more birds will notice it and come bombing in.

Was waiting for it :)
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am

Flightstopper wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:Find a grain field that has birds hitting it. I'm not sure what type of grain is in your area, maybe wheat or milo? But safflower/sunflower is some of the biggest drawers of dove around here. Dove typically will fly off the roost at gray light and hit the fields first then go to water. Around 9 or 10 they'll fly back to a day roost. Near the feeding areas. On hot days they'll hit water in the afternoon prior to the evening feeding season. If the day isn't a scorcher they'll hit water before they go to bed. I've had alot of great hunts, hunting the last hour of shooting light setting up in trees they'll spend the night in. Mojos totally work. Especially if their isn't alot of other guys using them in your area. Those birds might have a brain the size of a pea but they wise up just like a duck. Finally go find several fields that are holding birds. Those bitches can be finicky little pricks. Doves might have a field they only hit in the morning then go to a field right next door that they'll feed in later that day. Nothing you can do about it when they have a field in mind. They fly right past your mojo..... one little bit of advice. Get two mojos. Set one up with the standard short pole and then put the other on a longer pool, say 8 feet in the air. You'll be amazed how many more birds will notice it and come bombing in.

Was waiting for it :)

I'm a dove dork:lol:... absolutely love chasing and eating those little birds.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 am

Water could play more of a factor then fields in some areas. With tons of options for the birds to feed in and only a few places they can get water. Water holes with little to no cover around them are best. Same with the grain fields. They like bald ground. I've knocked the shit out of them hunting small puddles that were only a tiny depression in the ground that held an inch of water and was maybe 5 feet long. Stick the mojo on the edge of that and see shit happen.:mrgreen: oh and shooting the roost trees is a blast for latter in the season. I wouldn't recommend it opening day. Could fuck up a whole area and push the birds off. Just saying.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 am

hudson wrote:If you have goat weed up there its a safe bet doves will be on it.Down here you can't plant anything as good as goat weed.It is a wild plant that drops a black seed that doves can't get enough of.It will grow almost waist high and can cover a whole pasture

We have something with a similar seed out here called dove or turkey millet. Doves love that shit. Grow alot of times along the side of roads.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am

Fuck it. Grow safflower and mow that bitch in August. Dove magnet.
GadwallGetter530

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Fuck it. Grow safflower and mow that bitch in August. Dove magnet.
good looking spot Gad
hudson

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 am

hudson wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:Fuck it. Grow safflower and mow that bitch in August. Dove magnet.
good looking spot Gad

Thanks that's one of 4 different fields I usually plant. Only did 2 this season. I dragged my feet and couldn't find enough seed in time. Oh well.
GadwallGetter530

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
hudson wrote:
good looking spot Gad

Thanks that's one of 4 different fields I usually plant. Only did 2 this season. I dragged my feet and couldn't find enough seed in time. Oh well.
def want to be updated on the success with pics!
hudson

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

This thread pisses me off
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

hudson wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
hudson wrote:
good looking spot Gad

Boot hunted that field i posted earlier last season with a friend of ours on the opener. I was in the field next door with my nephew and family. We had a pretty good shoot.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:09 am

What's safflower cost per acre?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:14 am

NuffDaddy wrote:This thread pisses me off

It's actually inspiring me to take up arms against doves again after several years of not fooling with it. But I suspect I say screw it again when the time comes to sit in the sun for them. Gladly do it for September teal though...
Rick

Postby sws002 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:16 am

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahha

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:16 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
hudson wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
hudson wrote:
good looking spot Gad

Boot hunted that field i posted earlier last season with a friend of ours on the opener. I was in the field next door with my nephew and family. We had a pretty good shoot.
That's what I like to see pod!
hudson

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 am

sws002 wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahha

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

Fuck you! I'm gonna kill a few this year just outa spite.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Blind