Hevi Steel

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Hevi Steel

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Anyone have experience with them? Are they just a gimmick? I really hope they are not because our case of them just got here. I also have 4 boxes of Hevi Metal on the way to see if they work before money is dropped on a case of those.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Re: Hevi Steel

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:51 pm

I loved the hevi metal I bought. Seemed to knock shit dead a lot better than federals but the price wasn't worth it seeing as I could just shoot it twice and still be making money.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:55 pm

While you're paying $30 a box for that shit, I'll just happily shoot my $7 a box Fiocchi Flyway shells.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Anyone have experience with them? Are they just a gimmick? I really hope they are not because our case of them just got here. I also have 4 boxes of Hevi Metal on the way to see if they work before money is dropped on a case of those.

Hevi steel is just regular steel like Kent fasteel. Made to cater to the people that won't spend more than $20/box. Never used it or hevi metal, so can't comment on how well t works.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Anyone have experience with them? Are they just a gimmick? I really hope they are not because our case of them just got here. I also have 4 boxes of Hevi Metal on the way to see if they work before money is dropped on a case of those.

Hevi steel is just regular steel like Kent fasteel. Made to cater to the people that won't spend more than $20/box. Never used it or hevi metal, so can't comment on how well t works.

this
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 am

What you don't want is the Rem Hypersonic steel, that shit will break your shoulder.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Bad17 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 am

Lol.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Cronkdre » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 am

Bought a case of it for this season And like it so far. I normally by a case of hevi metal and a case of kent each year( but got hevi steel instead of the kent). Hevi metal is my number 1 choice still, but I'd probably take the heavy steel over kent and it's about the same price. I think it was around $16 a box for 3.5" #2 off rogers when you buy a case.
Cronkdre

Postby firstflight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am

It's just steel boss nothing special about it .
firstflight

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 am

Woody wrote:What you don't want is the Rem Hypersonic steel, that shit will break your shoulder.

I tried a box of that once. If I didn't hold on tight to my pump, it would eject the shell on its own.
Kick worse than and 3.5s I've ever shot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:20 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Woody wrote:What you don't want is the Rem Hypersonic steel, that shit will break your shoulder.

I tried a box of that once. If I didn't hold on tight to my pump, it would eject the shell on its own.

Amen to that. Once made the mistake of trying to use up some a couple guys left in my blind. Once...
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:31 am

Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Amen to that. Once made the mistake of trying to use up some a couple guys left in my blind. Once...

I figured it was just another ammo maker's ploy to sell more shells with a new "hyped-up" name, interpreting as less shot, same amount of powder, making it faster.........and pricier. Based on ya'll comments, sounds like I was incorrect..........what makes it so special? Different powder????
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 am

Deltaman wrote:
Rick wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I figured it was just another ammo maker's ploy to sell more shells with a new "hyped-up" name, interpreting as less shot, same amount of powder, making it faster.........and pricier. Based on ya'll comments, sounds like I was incorrect..........what makes it so special? Different powder????

Not a clue. Patterned like crap and not the payload I liked. It must be a faster burning powder or something to get the shot to that speed. When I was patterning it, I had a headache after shooting a dozen or so shells. It was about like shooting a 3" slug or turkey load.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Much heavier recoil than I expected, particularly since I ran it through an 870, instead of the SBE I normally shoot for geese. Am accustomed to 3" through the 870 being like 3 1/2s through the SBE, but the Remington HVs were well beyond that. Showed me right quick why the guys who bought it couldn't hit crap and left it in the blind, they were as afraid of it as I was.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Jarbo would be making fun of y'all right now.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Woody » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I thought I had accidentally shouldered a howitzer, so Jarbs can make fun of me all he wants.
Woody

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:12 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Jarbo would be making fun of y'all right now.

So? Next guy thinks he needs to take a beating to kill a bird, it's fine by me.
Rick

Postby Weston81 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Shot a couple boxes of hevi metal last year on divers and puddle ducks in WI. The only big difference I noticed was that the hevi metal hammered them hard at 30-40 yards. For the price I can't justify using it day in and day out but for a guided hunt where I was looking to shoot my first can I gave it a go.
Weston81

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Woody wrote:I thought I had accidentally shouldered a howitzer, so Jarbs can make fun of me all he wants.

:lol: I think you made fun of me too when I bitched about 3 1/2" shells. This reminded me of whatever thread that was.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby firstflight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:28 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Woody wrote:I thought I had accidentally shouldered a howitzer, so Jarbs can make fun of me all he wants.

:lol: I think you made fun of me too when I bitched about 3 1/2" shells. This reminded me of whatever thread that was.

?????????
Wow must be soft 3.5 in hurt .....
firstflight

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:17 pm

firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

?????????

I think it was in regards to shooting magnum turkey loads out of my A5, so just 3" shells. Been a while back.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby firstflight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:24 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

?????????

I think it was in regards to shooting magnum turkey loads out of my A5, so just 3" shells. Been a while back.

It's okay my 12 year old only shoots 3 in also .
firstflight

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

?????????

That turkey load almost knocked me off my feet. Nothing else to say about it.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

3.5 is useless. A properly patterned 3" does all you should need.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Why shoot 3" when 2 3/4" will do the job?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Shouldn't say useless...overkill
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:42 pm

R. Chapman wrote:Why shoot 3" when 2 3/4" will do the job?

I can't get 2 3/4 to pattern like I like past 25-30. The extra 1/8-1/4oz of shot fills it it just right to got to the 40-50 yard mark if I need it.
But 90% of my shots are in the hole, so 2 3/4 would be fine most times.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
firstflight wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote="Woody"]I thought I had accidentally shouldered a howitzer, so Jarbs can make fun of me all he wants.

?????????

That turkey load almost knocked me off my feet. Nothing else to say about it.[/quote]
Just busting your chops ..he only shoots a 20 ga .
he is hesitant to move up to a 12 ga .
The only shell that hurt me was that Winchester extended range 3.5 in, now that stuff hurt ..
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I can't get 2 3/4 to pattern like I like past 25-30. The extra 1/8-1/4oz of shot fills it it just right to got to the 40-50 yard mark if I need it.

I shoot 3.5 in shell because I can and I do most of the clean up shots on cripples .
firstflight

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:47 pm

firstflight wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I shoot 3.5 in shell because I can and I do most of the clean up shots on cripples .

There is nothing to clean up when I'm done with my 3"
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Blind