What's your dream hunt?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: What's your dream hunt?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 am

Not if I have to give up ducks
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Ducks just don't hold the same mystique for me that a big old animal that makes decisions every day that affect its individual survival. The deer I hunt are hunted every day of their lives. There's no refuge for them, and no safety in the collective. They are the most sought after by human hunters and the easiest to pick out. They stay alive by being ruthlessly disciplined and they don't get a second chance when they screw up. They don't rely on the security that comes with being one in many. Getting that animal, that has never made a mistake in its life, to trip up and give you an opportunity, is better than fooling the biggest collection of birds. Yes, you can get lucky and kill a big deer, or bull, but to get close to them consistently, you have develop the same discipline they do. To me, that's hunting an animal, versus hoping to be in right place at the right time.
bill herian

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:41 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Not if I have to give up ducks

Duck hunting is my number one thing in life. I love it but I would still give up one season if offered a chance to chase a big bull Elk. Now ask me to never go duck hunting again for the same deal? No way.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:44 pm

bill herian wrote:Rather kill a moose.

I gotta agree with Beel on this one. Eiders are cool but a moose would be better.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 pm

I have connections to do many trophy big game hunts, but if I did, I'd wish I was with my dog chasing birds, upland first, then waterfowl.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Yep. Have family in KS and could go shoot a pig whitetail by saying "when".
Same situation for Elk in MT...meh, sounds better than a day shopping with my wife, but nothing quickens my pulse like wings overhead
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Hmmm... I always took you for a man who liked a good dress shopping adventure.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Yep. Have family in KS and could go shoot a pig whitetail by saying "when".
Same situation for Elk in MT...meh, sounds better than a day shopping with my wife, but nothing quickens my pulse like wings overhead

Same here. I shoot does to get them out of the way and fill the freezer. My cousin is a deer and elk guide in MT, my uncle has taken many good bears. All I wanna do when I go there is shoot birds and whack a goat, which doesn't take long.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby sws002 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:37 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Yep. Have family in KS and could go shoot a pig whitetail by saying "when".

Same here. I shoot does to get them out of the way and fill the freezer. My cousin is a deer and elk guide in MT, my uncle has taken many good bears. All I wanna do when I go there is shoot birds and whack a goat, which doesn't take long.

I do plan on shooting a goat in western Nebraska this year (provided I draw a tag, might even try it with a bow) and I am hoping to draw a Nebraska elk tag one day, but other than that, I'd rather hunt with my dog and friends.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Tomkat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:53 am

Shoot a bear...check. Wild hog.....check.
Back to waterfowl hunting.
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 am

Tomkat wrote:Shoot a bear...check. Wild hog.....check.
Back to waterfowl hunting.

Any pictures of your bear hunt(s)? I want to go on a brown bear hunt someday.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:27 pm

I will try to dig em out. It was 5 years ago in Canada. A great bucket list adventure.
Tomkat

Previous

Return to The Blind