Ceiling fan laws...

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Ceiling fan laws...

Postby Olly » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 am

I never knew that there were laws regarding ceiling fans in this country. My girlfriends ceiling fan started to malfunction. Specifically the lights. I'm no stranger to electronic or electronic wiring and after taking it apart I found a relay integrated circuit board where there had no need of one being. I did some searching online to find the part and replace it and discovered that it was a board meant to limit the total wattage the fan could output to 190W. I thought this was odd and did some more digging and and found that back in 2009 the department of energy introduced a law saying that all ceiling fans had to be limited to 190W for the lights. The reason behind the law was to save energy.

Why are we funding these kinds of pointless laws? Does anyone really benefit from the time it took to draft, pass, and enforce this piece of legislation? I think perhaps only half dozen inspectors that were hired to make sure manufacturers were being enforced benefit from this non sense. What a waste of resources and a prime example of the BS our tax dollars are wasted on.

In the end I just bypassed the limiter and wired the lights up like they normally would have before 2009.

:tk: :qh: :tk: :qh: :tk: :qh:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Ceiling fan laws...

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:09 pm

The guy who makes or sells that relay benefits from it and probly has a buddy in congress... Or is a member of congress.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Because heaven forbid we be able to see
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 am

About the same thing as outlawing whatever light bulbs we used to use.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:About the same thing as outlawing whatever light bulbs we used to use.

Did that ever get passed? I remember seeing something about it a few years ago but I still see them for sale all over and still cheap as ever.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 am

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:About the same thing as outlawing whatever light bulbs we used to use.

Did that ever get passed? I remember seeing something about it a few years ago but I still see them for sale all over and still cheap as ever.

No idea. I remember them all getting pulled off shelves then started filling back up a month or so later.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:10 pm

On the theme of more laws that don't need to happen. Seattle is now going to issue you a small fine for throwing away food in your garbage instead of composting it.

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/curtis-kali ... od-garbage
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby quackhead » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Standard A-19 incandescent 100W lamps are no longer manufactured but inventory is still clearing. I also believe the 75W are done
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 pm

And there are many laws on ceiling fans. Specifically on the installation of them NEC70E
quackhead

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:18 am

Olly wrote:On the theme of more laws that don't need to happen. Seattle is now going to issue you a small fine for throwing away food in your garbage instead of composting it.

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/curtis-kali ... od-garbage

In other news, Seattle became the most obese city in 2018
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

You should have to have a license to work on a ceiling fan or ....you end up with a guy who has four 100-watt light bulbs wired thru a 250 watt switch at the wall. (eek)
Olly breaks the federal ceiling fan watt-limit and it's not big deal but I get caught with one too many ducks and awwww fuck. :clap: :clap: :clap:

@@@@@
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:42 pm

aunt betty wrote:You should have to have a license to work on a ceiling fan or ....you end up with a guy who has four 100-watt light bulbs wired thru a 250 watt switch at the wall. (eek)
Olly breaks the federal ceiling fan watt-limit and it's not big deal but I get caught with one too many ducks and awwww fuck. :clap: :clap: :clap:

@@@@@

She's me Ex now so it's whatever :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Return to The Blind