What's on the bucket list for 15-16 season??

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

What's on the bucket list for 15-16 season??

Postby lurejunkee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

Since this year should be my first true attempt at duck hunting I'll start out by saying that my bucket list is pretty small...
1. Go duck hunting
2. Learn something
3. Kill a duck
4. Have a great time with my son and girlfriend doing it.

Is there anything new for y'all that you've added or want to cross out?
lurejunkee

Re: What's on the bucket list for 15-16 season??

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm

break double digits again
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:16 pm

1. Get out more
2. Kibo to make his first retrieve (and many more)
3. Kill a banded anything
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flyn88 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:08 pm

This will be my first year having a mud motor. So learning some new areas is high up on the list. Also going to be my dogs first year duck hunting. Ready to see is all the training pays off.
flyn88

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:33 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:break double digits again

Reach high, T-boy, reach high.
Rick

Postby Olly » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Go hunting somewhere new.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Rick wrote:

Lol
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby team216 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Like others 1) bear to make her first retrieve. And working with her. I don't care if I shoot one bird this year. As long as someone in my boat does so I can watch my dog
team216

Postby lurejunkee » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 am

team216 wrote:Like others 1) bear to make her first retrieve. And working with her. I don't care if I shoot one bird this year. As long as someone in my boat does so I can watch my dog

Yea I'll never forget the first bird Gunner retrieved, albeit a dove but it was special because I did every bit of his training.
lurejunkee

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:59 am

Sea duck hunt on Lake Michigan. Dates are set. Now we just need to pray the weather cooperates.

Also a 6 duck limit. I have never got a full limit. Given that I only shot 4 all of last season and 2 were mergansers, this perennial goal seems to be getting more ellusive.

Maybe on the sea duck trip and I can get 2 goals in one day.

The last is a mature buck with the bow. I am getting greedy here since I have never got a buck with the bow, but I have seen some nice bucks and missed 2 :cry: so I'll take a doe for the freezer, but saving the buck tags for mature bucks. Well at least that is the plan until a young buck gets the adrenaline up and I decide any buck will do, especially if I haven't got a doe yet.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:36 am

First season with a dog....ohhhhh boy here we go. Will either be huge boon or huge bust, but I'm excited to give him a shot. Other than that, just hunt with a variety of people to make memories and get some new faces in the pictures.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:08 am

Darren wrote:First season with a dog....ohhhhh boy here we go. Will either be huge boon or huge bust...

Either way, expect it to be wet. There were two buddies with really good goldens in my hunting past, and one of my memories of them is the need for rain gear and a good bail scoop. Neat dogs, but holy moly could they haul some water.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
The last is a mature buck with the bow. I am getting greedy here since I have never got a buck with the bow, but I have seen some nice bucks and missed 2 :cry: so I'll take a doe for the freezer, but saving the buck tags for mature bucks. Well at least that is the plan until a young buck gets the adrenaline up and I decide any buck will do, especially if I haven't got a doe yet.

I didn't think about that. Getting a buck is definitely on my list. Watched several the past few years but never been able to stick one. But like you I'm willing to take what I can get buck, doe, yearling not real picky when it comes to using the bow.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I didn't think about that. Getting a buck is definitely on my list. Watched several the past few years but never been able to stick one. But like you I'm willing to take what I can get buck, doe, yearling not real picky when it comes to using the bow.

My plan is to be picky and not shoot a young buck. Doe or yearling, absolutely. First chance I get. However, I only have 2 buck tags. No limit on the antlerless tags. I do not want to use one of the buck tags on a young buck. Even with one left, the two big bucks I missed were about 15 minutes apart :shock: One's for any mature buck and one is for the one I missed that will haunt me. I actually got a trail cam picture of it last year, but I heard it got hit and lost. Let's hope it recovered. However, there have been others in the area of equal or better proportions that I plan to keep hunting for even if I do get a mature buck.

I want to go into peak rut with both buck tags in hand. It could be like last year where I only saw the big boys on the camera or it could be like the year before where I saw 3 damn fine buck, two of them were 15 minutes apart and I blew both shots. The first because I had to shoot quick, but still should have been an easy shot and just let the damn arrow go when my 10 yard pin hit his chest when I was coming up on him at 20 yards. The other because the adrenaline was still sky high from the previous. I was planning to shoot that buck in the same exact spot I just missed until he hung up at 30 yards, I think actually because he caught scent of my arrow that had skipped off the rocks and was in the bush next to him. Once I was not sure he was going to come closer, I decided to take that shot. However I shot at 20 yards, where he was supposed to be and not where he actually was. Although, I seem like I missed lower than that. Two shots well under the chest of two mature buck, the first was a beauty, the second would have been my biggest ever by far.

The one in the picture is my true fantasy bucket list. I literally missed him a couple steps forward heading the opposite direction just over a year earlier. The other was a little ways behind that little pine tree.

SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 am

Long weekend South of Venice, hopefully several, which helps offset the shitty hunting here with all of the Johnny come lately newbies that don't seem to have a job, but can afford to hunt most days of the season :shock: Usually get an invite or two for hunts in Northern Mississippi, and when it is on, can be incredible.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Deltaman wrote:Long weekend South of Venice, hopefully several, which helps offset the shitty hunting here with all of the Johnny come lately newbies that don't seem to have a job, but can afford to hunt most days of the season :shock: Usually get an invite or two for hunts in Northern Mississippi, and when it is on, can be incredible.

Let me add hunt with Deltaman more than once this season to my bucket list.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:First season with a dog....ohhhhh boy here we go. Will either be huge boon or huge bust...

Either way, expect it to be wet. There were two buddies with really good goldens in my hunting past, and one of my memories of them is the need for rain gear and a good bail scoop. Neat dogs, but holy moly could they haul some water.

Will make for fun tales in my daily hunt log at least, just hoping to minimize pirogue flippings.
Darren

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Since I'll be in Cali for most of the season, cinnamon teal and full plume sprig
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Deltaman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Olly wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Long weekend South of Venice, hopefully several, which helps offset the shitty hunting here with all of the Johnny come lately newbies that don't seem to have a job, but can afford to hunt most days of the season :shock: Usually get an invite or two for hunts in Northern Mississippi, and when it is on, can be incredible.

Let me add hunt with Deltaman more than once this season to my bucket list.

We'll definitely make that one happen Olly! Doubtful I'll bother with the teal, unless I find a few tucked away somewhere that is out of the way, but once big duck season rolls in, we can give'm hell :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby lurejunkee » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Pretty neat to see all of these goals!
lurejunkee

Postby Weston81 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I would love to see my Dad shoot a banded duck and be there to see it. This will be our sixth year in the field we have, we kill a fair number of ducks each year and sooner or later it's bound to happen. Dad and I put in an a lot of time preparing the field and hunting, neither of us have shot one but I think I'd be just as tickled to see him get one as I would shooting one myself.
Weston81

Postby Bad17 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:

Lol

Soooo your trying for 10 ducks again this year. That's triple last year right. Let me know if I can help. I'll help you reach your goal.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Bad17 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:

Lol

Soooo your trying for 10 ducks again this year. That's triple last year right. Let me know if I can help. I'll help you reach your goal.

Actually it's 3.333, repeating of course, times the amount of ducks I killed last year. Let's keep everything historically accurate for my followers.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:00 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Bad17 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:

Lol

Actually it's 3.333, repeating of course, times the amount of ducks I killed last year. Let's keep everything historically accurate for my followers.

My bad. Was trying to make simple math
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Capttrae » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:40 am

Buck w/ my bow
Kill more ducks. Really wanting a Drake Can, Pintail, Widgedon, GWT, and a Black Duck
Capttrae

Postby DukMan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm

I'd like to shoot a full limit (6 ducks) of drake Oldsquaw.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:47 pm

zzzzzzzz....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068232.197632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068271.328629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068319.929706.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068337.954234.jpg

I shouldn't be so nonchalant about it...it's pretty fun. But usually just requires enough patience to wait on drakes and a little skill to keep from hitting hens
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:46 am

Kill a deer

Kill a few coyotes

Kill some ducks

Kill some geese

MAKE THE BIGGEST, BADDEST POND JUMP VIDEO EVER MAKE during snow season. Listen to the bitches whine about it.

Life would be good.

For those who have never seen it-

https://youtu.be/WKYoT0ZnWBY (now has 51,000 views)
Tomkat

Postby DukMan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:zzzzzzzz....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068232.197632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068271.328629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068319.929706.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441068337.954234.jpg

I shouldn't be so nonchalant about it...it's pretty fun. But usually just requires enough patience to wait on drakes and a little skill to keep from hitting hens

Where are you hunting? I'm going to be trying to make it happen on Green Bay.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)