Been working on geese

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Been working on geese

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Have 16 full bodies ready for person #1. Also have 10 floaters done, 12 full bodies almost done, and another 12 full bodies almost flocked for person #2. Gonna get them all delivered on the 28th on my way to Colorado to chase elk. Here's some before and after pictures:

The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Re: Been working on geese

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Awesome work
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RickC » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Great job as usual Gene!
RickC

Postby Deltaman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 am

Beautiful :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 am

Nice work.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am

Lil bit of difference there
@
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Gene, you mentioned on another board that you painted those with Rustoleum through an air brush, and I'd be most grateful to know what Rustoleum paints and colors you're using. If it's a trade secret now that you're back in business, please just say so, I'll understand.
Rick

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Rick wrote:Gene, you mentioned on another board that you painted those with Rustoleum through an air brush, and I'd be most grateful to know what Rustoleum paints and colors you're using. If it's a trade secret now that you're back in business, please just say so, I'll understand.

No secret at all. All painting was done with an airbrush. All colors except the bill are Rustoleum.

1) The flocking is goose gray and I used leather brown as the "glue"...two coats.
2) I painted the sides, chest, neck and head with the light tan color Rustoleum camoflauge paint.
3) Then I painted the butt and tail white. 2 coats
4) Then I mixed flat brown (2 table spoons) and gloss black (1/2 table spoon) and painted the back and wings.
5) Then I did the feather detail with white.
6) Then I misted the front of the neck and the cheeks with white.
7) Then I painted "stripes" on the chest and sides with white using a kind of semi-circle motion making sure to leave other "stripes" of the tan color showing through. One caot of white, not too thick, and it comes out a kind of light creamy color.
8) Then I went back over the feather detail with sand and gave the whole back a good misting of sand.
9) Then I used the dark brown mixture to put "stripes" on the body, the stripes on the neck, paint the dark strip on the top of the head and back of the neck, and then lightly misted along the chest and sides, then darkened in the head/neck and feathered it all in.
10) Then I painted the black stripes on the body, painted the wing tips and ran a highlight line through the narrow wing stripes near the butt and highlighted the large feathers on top...all with black.
11) Then I painted the white strip on the sides and the white patch on the face with white (2 coats).
12) Then I ran a thin line around the white face patch with black.
13) Then I painted the eyes with gloss black.
14) Then I painted the bill with a mixture of Ronan's Japan Superfine Paints.I think the mix was orange, red, white and van dyke brown. Not sure though. I'll get back to you on that.
15) Then I tipped the bill with white.

I hope I didn't miss anything, but I might have. It's a lot harder to write it down than it is to actually do it.
Mean Gene

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks, Gene, that was more than thorough, and I'm now feeling guilty for asking and putting you through so much trouble. Hadn't seen any brown in a non-spray on their site but an apparently gloss leather brown in the "professional" section.
Rick

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Rick wrote:Thanks, Gene, that was more than thorough, and I'm now feeling guilty for asking and putting you through so much trouble. Hadn't seen any brown in a non-spray on their site but an apparently gloss leather brown in the "professional" section.

The only spray can I used was the camo tan. Eveything else came from a quart or gallon container. Dip it out into the airbruh bottle with a plastic table spoon, add thinner, stir and paint.
Mean Gene

Postby Groundswat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Have 16 full bodies ready for person #1. Also have 10 floaters done, 12 full bodies almost done, and another 12 full bodies almost flocked for person #2. Gonna get them all delivered on the 28th on my way to Colorado to chase elk. Here's some before and after pictures:

Those geese look awesome but would you mind taking a close up picture of the wigeon in the background? I have some wigeon and gadwall that are a little rough and any ideas on how to color them would be much appreciated.
Groundswat

Postby Groundswat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm curious about the sand, how do you apply it and what is the reason behind doing this?
Groundswat

Postby Duckdog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

It gives them a more realistic look, like they've been roosting in sand all night. :lol:

Sorry,...I just couldn't resist.
I'm pretty sure "sand" is a color. ;)
Duckdog

Postby Groundswat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Duckdog wrote:It gives them a more realistic look, like they've been roosting in sand all night. :lol:

Sorry,...I just couldn't resist.
I'm pretty sure "sand" is a color. ;)

Idk I've felt the birds done by body language and it feels like there really is small grit silica sand in the flock. Just curious if this is flocking trick to make things more durable.
Groundswat

Postby Duckdog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Well...there is always the possibility that I'm the dumbass! :lol:
Duckdog

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Sand is just a color of Rustoleum.

There' no actual "sand" in the flocking...just paint and fibers.

Search in this forum and you'll find pictures of the wigeon. I can also repost pictures for you.
Mean Gene

Postby Al Quacka » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Nice job :thumbsup:
Al Quacka

Postby Groundswat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Sand is just a color of Rustoleum.

Search in this forum and you'll find pictures of the wigeon. I can also repost pictures for you.

The wigeon look excellent. So when you're flocking do you use different color flocking and spray it on with an airbrush?
Groundswat

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Groundswat wrote:

The wigeon look excellent. So when you're flocking do you use different color flocking and spray it on with an airbrush?

Sometimes I use different colors of flocking, but both the drake and hen wigeons were flocked all gray and then airbrushed. To apply the flocking you just goop on Rustoleum paint and then sift the flocking on. You let it dry and do it again. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene

Postby Groundswat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
Groundswat wrote:

Sometimes I use different colors of flocking, but both the drake and hen wigeons were flocked all gray and then airbrushed. To apply the flocking you just goop on Rustoleum paint and then sift the flocking on. You let it dry and do it again. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight. I hunt with a guy that had all 10 dozen of his floaters done by body language and I love the way flocked decoys look but can't afford to get mine done. I figure I'll try and master it so by the time I leave duck less South Carolina and return to Idaho I'll have some flocked decoys to hunt over.
Groundswat

Return to Decoy Carving Forum