First attempt at a wood head

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

First attempt at a wood head

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 pm

So, I've been doing exactly NOTHING for three weeks since I had shoulder surgery. Couldn't stand it anymore so I spent a couple hours in the shop this afternoon. I wanted to do something with decoys, but knew I wouldn't be able to work for long, nor could I do any lifting or stretching, so I decided to try and carve my first ever wooden duck head. Figured I could work my arm close to my body and not hurt anything. I wanted a head for my first cork decoy (coming soon), and that's going to be a ringneck, so I made a stab at carving his head. Here's what I came up with before my shoulder started screaming at me. When I got to the base of the neck I discovered a crack I'll have to fix, but that's no big deal. Head is carved out of sugar pine. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a start.

The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Re: First attempt at a wood head

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 pm

I would say your prior experience helped a ton!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Amazing work. You have a real skill my friend. I could attempt to make 100 heads and not one of em would turn out that good.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RickC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:57 am

Nice Gene! I got a couple sheets of cork from Willy last month waiting on me to get something done with them. Don't be rushing to get back to it to soon though.
RickC

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 am

RickC wrote:Nice Gene! I got a couple sheets of cork from Willy last month waiting on me to get something done with them. Don't be rushing to get back to it to soon though.

Trying not to. Kept the arm close in, moved things with my off hand. Really only spent an hour or so on the head. Starting PT today...yippy.
The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Postby RickC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 am

Mean Gene wrote:
RickC wrote:Nice Gene! I got a couple sheets of cork from Willy last month waiting on me to get something done with them. Don't be rushing to get back to it to soon though.

Trying not to. Kept the arm close in, moved things with my off hand. Really only spent an hour or so on the head. Starting PT today...yippy.

Well I've never had PT but havr known several that have and I dont envy you a bit. Best of luck though!
RickC

Postby Scott R » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:06 pm

The head is coming along nicely Gene.

Take care of that shoulder and good luck with the PT.
Scott R

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

"First attempt at a wood head"

They make pills for that
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Goldfish wrote:"First attempt at a wood head"

They make pills for that

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was scared to open this.

Nice work Gene.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Return to Decoy Carving Forum