New Canvasback

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

New Canvasback

Postby Scott R » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Been a while since I posted anything...work is wearing me out this summer...but I just finished this one over the weekend. This a new pattern I drew up this spring and finally finished painting. Painting this one over about a 4 month span working on it 10-15 minutes at a time when I could get free. Was slow but still fun.

Let me know what ya'll think. Did a lot of playing and experimenting on this one.

Scott R

Re: New Canvasback

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:36 pm

I don't see or shoot a lot of cans but I think it looks great!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby AKPirate » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Very nice!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Excellent work.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:22 pm

He looks happy, which is nice because it seems the trend these days is pissed off
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Beautiful!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Awesome!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 am

Looks great!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RickC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:10 am

Great looking can Scott. I've got one on the bench I'm about to start painting. What colors are you using for the head?
RickC

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 am

looks awesome!
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Scott R » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

RickC wrote:Great looking can Scott. I've got one on the bench I'm about to start painting. What colors are you using for the head?

Rick the base color is Burnt Sienna with a little Raw Umber. Then I drybrush with black or yellow to either shade or highlight and area.

Thanks for the comments guys. I had forgotten how much fun it was to do cans. I need to do a few more.
Scott R

Postby RickC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks Scott, this one is my first one but I have enjoyed and plan on doing a few more for myself.
RickC

Postby Scott R » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Rick I'm hoping to get back in the swing of carving this fall after work slows down. Spent some time this past spring redrawing patterns but didn't get any shop time. Finally getting back to where it's fun again. I took it a little too serious for a few years and it almost ruined the whole experience for me.
Scott R

Postby RickC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah I can see that. I was going down that road worrying about getting decoys ready for shows. Woke up one day and said bag that! If I can I will but its not going to drive my carving. Its just fun for me.
RickC

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 am

So is that a competition/display piece or a high class working decoy?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Scott R » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:44 am

3legged_lab wrote:So is that a competition/display piece or a high class working decoy?

I consider it just a normal simple gunning block. It'll be in a bag with all the others this fall. Just a decoy.
Scott R

Postby sws002 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:18 am

Scott R wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:So is that a competition/display piece or a high class working decoy?

I consider it just a normal simple gunning block. It'll be in a bag with all the others this fall. Just a decoy.

That's one of the most beautiful "gunning blocks" I've ever seen! Awesome work!
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Scott R » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 am

sws002 wrote:
Scott R wrote:

That's one of the most beautiful "gunning blocks" I've ever seen! Awesome work!

Thanks for the kind comment. I think the hardest thing is the 1st time I drop it, or it kisses the gunnel while pulling in a longline, or I hit with the boat. Occasionally one gets shot. That knocks the new off of one real fast. :lol:

Don't get me wrong...I like the way a new decoy looks fresh off the paint table. But one that has been used for 10-15 seasons and has the paint scrubbed off in spots, maybe chipped from a hard lick on the boat, ground in mud on it, stained up from dirty water, and maybe even a few pellets is just beautiful. Each one is a book of stories of good hunts, bad hunts, spending time with friends, etc. Once they get to that point I think they are just cool looking :thumbsup:
Scott R

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am

Scott R wrote:

It would be a display piece at my house
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby firstflight » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Scott R wrote:Been a while since I posted anything...work is wearing me out this summer...but I just finished this one over the weekend. This a new pattern I drew up this spring and finally finished painting. Painting this one over about a 4 month span working on it 10-15 minutes at a time when I could get free. Was slow but still fun.

Let me know what ya'll think. Did a lot of playing and experimenting on this one.

Man that's an awesome job . One thing I have never done making my own decoys . I want to make some teal first then black ducks .
firstflight

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Beautiful job.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:35 pm

firstflight wrote:
Man that's an awesome job . One thing I have never done making my own decoys . I want to make some teal first then black ducks .

Jump right in and do it. Really nothing to it...just takes some patience and time. Black ducks would be a good one to start with. They can painted as simple or as complex as you want. There are also a lot of good patterns out there for them.

Just find someone close to where you live that carves and ask them if you can sit in with them while they do a bird or if they will help you do one. There are a lot of good tutorials on several sites also that can be of help. There is way more info available to new carvers now than back when I started. Heck...a lot of guys 1st birds are better than what I do now.
Scott R

Postby firstflight » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Scott R wrote:
firstflight wrote:

Jump right in and do it. Really nothing to it...just takes some patience and time. Black ducks would be a good one to start with. They can painted as simple or as complex as you want. There are also a lot of good patterns out there for them.

Just find someone close to where you live that carves and ask them if you can sit in with them while they do a bird or if they will help you do one. There are a lot of good tutorials on several sites also that can be of help. There is way more info available to new carvers now than back when I started. Heck...a lot of guys 1st birds are better than what I do now.

Thanks for the information ,I will look in to some sites .There's nobody around me that carves decoys 90% are deer hunters . Or the new duck commanders lol .
firstflight

Postby assateague » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Are patterns necessary? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. I'd like to give it a try, just piddling around (you know, with the improper tools, on an improper wood :lol:), and thought if I do, I'd like to keep it as close to free as possible.
assateague

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Probably not necessary but they will make it a WHOLE LOT EASIER. I think there are some free patterns posted over on workingdecoys.net.

Some guys will give up one if you ask them. Some won't if they have invested a lot of time in developing a good one. Never hurts to ask.
Scott R

Postby assateague » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Yeah, I saw a pattern book at the Ward Museum. It was about 40 pages, and was $350. I almost shit. I may have to go back and just take pics of a couple pages, and measure how big the book is. Allegedly.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Couldn't you just trace a decoy and go from there? Wouldn't be a museum piece but seems like a good starting point. Course I don't know shit about carving. Only tried it twice.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:31 am

You're two up on me, then.
assateague

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:39 am

Just get a 3D printer
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 am

Is have to make one first. And I'm pretty sure that's beyond my pay grade.
assateague

Next

Return to Decoy Carving Forum