Old Bufflehead

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Old Bufflehead

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I can't say for sure when this one was carved. Looking at it I think at least 1-2 years ago. Been sitting on my paint table blacked in for a while. Was needed a "therapy bird" to take my mind off the pain this weekend so I picked it up Sat and decided to finish it.

Pics aren't the greatest in world. Did a quickie job on them. Head colors are not showing. May try and get some better ones later today.

Scott R

Re: Old Bufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Looks good to me!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:51 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Looks good to me!

x2!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Looks sharp Scott!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Steele22 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Looks great. Love the pic from above showing the back
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Made another stab at getting some decent pics but the rain caught me. Here are some in overcast conditions.

Scott R

Postby RonE » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:56 pm

What kind of pain did you need therapy for? Decoy looks great!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Scott R » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Ron I'm working through a wicked case of shingles. I'm only 46 so it was the last thing I thought I had to worry about. I own my business (Agricultural Crop Consultant) so staying home and nursing it has not been on option. For the 1st time in 20 years I have weekends off this season...never been so happy in my life for a light season when this mess hit me. Still pulling 5 10-14 hr days in the field but the weekends allow me some rest.

Having a lot of nerve pain in my shoulder blade area, ribs, and chest on my right side. Been 3 weeks of misery so far and doctor says it may take another 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc. for the nerve pain to clear up. According to him everyone is different and there's no way to tell when it will stop.

For those that have never had it...it sucks. If you are over 60 you can get a shot to prevent it...GET IT! For you guys in my age group that even think for a moment you may have symptoms...go to doctor immediately. The longer you put it off the harder it is to clear up and more damage it can do.

I've been trying to find decoys laying around here on the weekends that I haven't painted just take my mind off of it while the meds kick in. I think I have 1 more...I hope.
Scott R

Postby one2many » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Scott R wrote:Ron I'm working through a wicked case of shingles. I'm only 46 so it was the last thing I thought I had to worry about. I own my business (Agricultural Crop Consultant) so staying home and nursing it has not been on option. For the 1st time in 20 years I have weekends off this season...never been so happy in my life for a light season when this mess hit me. Still pulling 5 10-14 hr days in the field but the weekends allow me some rest.

Having a lot of nerve pain in my shoulder blade area, ribs, and chest on my right side. Been 3 weeks of misery so far and doctor says it may take another 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc. for the nerve pain to clear up. According to him everyone is different and there's no way to tell when it will stop.

For those that have never had it...it sucks. If you are over 60 you can get a shot to prevent it...GET IT! For you guys in my age group that even think for a moment you may have symptoms...go to doctor immediately. The longer you put it off the harder it is to clear up and more damage it can do.

I've been trying to find decoys laying around here on the weekends that I haven't painted just take my mind off of it while the meds kick in. I think I have 1 more...I hope.

damn man, hope you get batter soon.....with all the weird medical bull shit i seem to get i know i will get it. im about to turn 45 asked Dr. to give me the shingles vaccine, but he wont until im at least 50.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:56 pm

one2many wrote:
Scott R wrote:Ron I'm working through a wicked case of shingles. I'm only 46 so it was the last thing I thought I had to worry about. I own my business (Agricultural Crop Consultant) so staying home and nursing it has not been on option. For the 1st time in 20 years I have weekends off this season...never been so happy in my life for a light season when this mess hit me. Still pulling 5 10-14 hr days in the field but the weekends allow me some rest.

damn man, hope you get batter soon.....with all the weird medical bull shit i seem to get i know i will get it. im about to turn 45 asked Dr. to give me the shingles vaccine, but he wont until im at least 50.

Well if you'd quit sticking your eye where it doesn't belong.....
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 am

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery...........If it is therapy decoys you need, I'm sure we can scrounge up lots of ugly ass flambeau decoys you can repaint...

Meanwhile, do what the doctors tell you, eat healthy and try to keep a positive mental attitude. :duck:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RickC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:12 am

Damn Scott thats terrible, hope it subsides quickly. I'm pushing 60 and have been considering the shot because it seems I'm hearing, and reading about more cases.
Your bird, as is always rhe case with them, looks outstanding. A couple more years if this carving stuff and I might get close to them :lol:
RickC

Postby one2many » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
one2many wrote:

Well if you'd quit sticking your eye where it doesn't belong.....

i started wearing safety goggles while doing nasty things :D
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Return to Decoy Carving Forum