1st Hen

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

1st Hen

Postby RickC » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Having avoided carving up hens at all costs I finally did one to completion. I started a blue winged teal back in July or August, got frustrated and stuck it on a shelf. Decided to try a GWT hen and it has to be finished as its going to an awesome little girl in South Texas. Its carved out of tupelo, hollowed, weighted internally, competition grade glass eyes, sealed with 2 part marine epoxy and since I was pressed for time it got an acrylic paint job.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
RickC

Re: 1st Hen

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:24 am

Beautiful decoy Rick. Fine job on it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:45 am

Excellent
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Looks good
Bufflehead

Postby Goldfish » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Is it just the feather detail that's worse on hens or went the hesitation before this?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 am

Goldfish wrote:Is it just the feather detail that's worse on hens or went the hesitation before this?

Goldfish wrote:Is it just the feather detail that's worse on hens or went the hesitation before this?

Yep, feathers. They require so much more work. Everything from the layout to having to paint over each of them 3 - 5 times depending on the bird. There are much easier gunner versions that can be done Im just not a big fan of them and they really dont push for improvement. This is a pair of Charlie "Speed" Joiner decoys and you can see the style. I like it and will do some similar at some point but for now I'm looking to push myself.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
RickC

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 am

Nice work Gene!!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Goldfish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 am

How do you do all the... speckling(?) then on the male? That seems tougher, but I haven't done it
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 am

Vermiculation is what I think your talking about and it can be done different ways. Usually its done by using some modeling paste mixed with the paint. Once applied special combs are drug through in sweeps or wiggly lines. Once thats dried the top color can be eithet dry brushed across the top or done by whats called ragging. Wiping a piece of cloth with paint on it over the areas.
Another way is the way I did the Smew and is more tedious and overly exaggerates and area. I painted the sides black and after it had dried brushed white on top then drug a blunted toothpick through the gwt paint.
RickC

Postby Goldfish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm

You ever think about using a paint marker? Or is that too thick?
Goldfish

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 pm

That is another way. When I did smew I thought about using one but was interested in trying scratch painting anyways so wet that way
RickC

Return to Decoy Carving Forum